Unlimited access >

Summer Horse Jobs

I live in Aberdeen North Carolina, I am 13 and looking for something to do this summer. Last summer I worked for healing hearts equine rescue but they are closing down. So I am looking for something to do. I have a lot of experience with horses so I could help with anything. I just need something to do so if you are looking for someone to help at the barn or know of something to do please let me know. Thank You.

Have you checked yardandgroom.com? I’m not sure if there is something on that site suitable for you and in your area?

I’m not from NC, so things may very well be different there, but in my state it is very difficult to get a job at that age. Here, you have to be 14 to get a work permit, and even then you’re limited in the hours you can work. So you may have better luck looking for a volunteer job, working student position, or something otherwise “under the table”. If there are any summer camps in your area, I’d start there- I used to help supervise the pony camp kids in exchange for lessons.

Do you have a trainer, instructor, or owner of a barn where you board who can help you network? Knowing people is what will find this type of position. At 13 I agree you may not be able to find a real, traditional job because of labor laws.

I used to live in Southern Pines (which is next door to Aberdeen)… I suspect transportation would be one problem

My youngest daughter when she was 13 started her own summer horse camp which taught her how to run a business.

If you have transportation, you might be able to find someplace that wants help with stalls, turn in/out, tacking, etc. But as others said, 13 is young for a job, even one under the table. I think I started working at a lesson barn at 15.

Boy or Girl Scouts?.. my oldest son was a Boy Scout, at 13 went to summer camp it was obvious to all that he knew more about horses than the staff. Since the “official” age of employment by the scouts was 16 they just “let” him stay all summer as an advisor. Next year they “invited” him then finally gave in at 15 hiring him to run the equine program… before he stopped he had taught over 6,000 scouts

Last year I did volunter at healing hearts equine rescue. I am mostly just looking for somewhere to volunter.

What about a therapeutic riding place? If you go to this search and enter North Carolina, lots of places come up. You could see if any are near you. http://www.pathintl.org/path-intl-centers/find-center