Sunblocking clothes and screens

So I have lupus and have been lectured numerous times by my rheum on how sun exposure can cause flare ups. Was told to wear sun protective clothing and spf 100 plus. Also now am on a drug that increases the sun sensitivity. And I am also very sensitive to heat. Really got to me at the show this weekend which was indoors but had to walk around outside to get to trailer and living quarters to cool down.

Has as anyone found sun clothing that doesn’t make you hotter and any sunscreens that work and don’t irritate skin?

I use sunblock clothing from Athleta

The ExOfficio Dryflylite shirt is my absolute favorite. It buttons, is nice in most weather, vented, woven, so doesn’t cling. Nice enough to wear to the office.

For clingy stretchy riding shirts, I like the ones from Kastel Denmark best.

I have tried a lot of these and many are not comfortable at all.

SPF is times the amount of time you can stay in the sun without protection, so 30-50 spf should be adequate unless you’re in Antarctica during summer and outside all day.

1 Like

I’m a former sun lover who paid for it with melanoma a few years ago. Now I cover up religiously. I wear an EIS shirt every time I’m outside for any period of time longer than 30 minutes. They started the “sun shirt” or were among the first. Now there are a ton of other brands, which is great as the EIS shirts can be pricey. They are less fitted than other brands, but I find that looser fit to be a bit cooler than more fitted brands. I also like them as you can zip them up to cover your neck.

For sunscreen, I use Blue Lizard. For my face, I use EltaMD UV Daily Broad Spectrum, tinted. It goes on as soon as I wash my face every morning.

I’ve seen ads for a brand of shirt pop up on my Facebook stating that they actually help lower your body temperature. I would love to know if they really work as I get so darn hot working out every day (indoors).

Hope this helps.

Thank you guys. It definitely gives me w good place to start. Will go from here

I like the Tailored Sportsman EIS shirts. They are so cool that I even wear them out of the barn and the half zip high neck gives very complete coverage. In white, they are my competition shirts. They do seem to lower my body temp. Surprisingly they are cooler when they fit snugly rather than loosely.

I hate the feel of most sunscreen (I do wear it ) but Oil of Olay makes some high SPF, sunscreens up to SPF 50 and 70, that is not greasy , seems to stay on well even when i perspire and is very comfortable ( for SPF100 for lupus you might need to use a prescription sunscreen however). Neutrogena also makes good sunscreens up to SPF 70. In your case particularly it might be worth seeing a dermatologist for a consultation about sun protection to see what they recommend for sunscreen since you really have to be careful.

Perfect maybesmom, I appreciate it

By the way, for any manufacturers who read this, this is my rant about ridiculous sizing. There are some people I would love to buy some sun shirts for, but it is very hard to find any that will fit anyone larger than an average frame. I mean, it’s not that I care ego-wise that I’m wearing a size XL but I’m 5’6" and 150 lbs and a medium in most normal sizes. There are active women, both women who work with horses and don’t, and they all need these sunshirts too.

5 Likes

Prana makes some nice-looking athletic clothing with UPF 30+ protection but that may not be good enough for your needs.

Coolibar shirts and I also use the EltaMD. Sunblock. It’s a physical block and the others make my skin irritated. I buy it from my dermatologist but you can find it online, too I usually try to keep a cotton bandana tied around my neck, too

Kastel sun shirts and mychelle sunblock, layered together.

Kastel sunshirts, Blue Lizard sunscreen. Remember to reapply every 2 hours :slight_smile:

Just in my experience, at higher than SPF30, sunscreens don’t seem to protect any better, but do irritate more. Neutrogena 70/100 makes me rashy and broken out like nothing else!

I’ve been interested in the Kerrits cooling spf sleeves (or any sport cooling sleeve for that matter). I like that I can add them to other shirts I already own, which is a big plus because my shirts for work are primarily short-sleeve tees and polos. I’m really tall, though, and I’m worried they 1. may not be long enough and 2. that I might be constantly tugging them up. I don’t really love the vented shirts like Kastel (they are always too short). Has anyone actually tried the sleeves? How did they fit and did they stay up well?

I have short arms and they were not long enough if I had a shorter sleeve top on. They did stay up, it’s just that it physically wasn’t long enough. They did work cooling-wise though.

1 Like

I have the perfect combination for hot weather that will cover your entire head on down. I’m a former sun worshiper who now will not expose my face, neck, chest, arms or hands to the sun, and my legs only a little bit. I’ve wear sunscreen daily, mineral powder with SPF. While working outside, on my upper body I wear a sun veil that covers my entire lower face from below the eyes on down to my chest and to the back of my neck, a big sun hat, a cotton tank top, and a zip up lycra bolero or shrug style cycling jacket, and either breeches, bike shorts, cotton drawstring pants, or jeans on the bottom. I stay completely cool while out in the sun and not a lick of sun can touch my skin.

San soleil shirts. The solcool line is lightweight and cool. They are 50 spf. A lot lighter than coolibar. They are not cheap but I abuse mine and they last several years

@Avishay_04 I have “Rider’s Sleeves” which I have been wearing for several years. They are long enough and stay in place quite well. The only time I find myself hitching them up is when I wear my one shirt that has very short sleeves. I am 5’6" and have slightly longer than normal arms.

I also have lupus and have a whole wardrobe of coolibar.com UPF 50+ clothes. I ride in regular breeches, but my tops are all long sleeve coolibar. I also have added a Soless helmet visor to my helmet. I put Coola mineral based sunscreen on my face (no chemical sunscreens for me as I’m also chemically sensitive). I hope this helps!