Unlimited access >

Super-cost-effective biting fly trap

I made this very cheap, easy trap about 5 years ago and am so impressed with how many baddies it caught in the first two days I put it out this year. It’s modeled on a horsefly trap, though it’s always been better at greenheads than horseflies (which I haven’t seen out in force yet this year although there is one in the trap). All it requires is scrap wood, a beach ball, some sort of mesh like for screen doors, clear plastic containers (I get them from the salad bar), something to hang the beach ball and secure the containers (I use bungee cords and twine), and black spray paint. Super easy and so satisfying to see all the dead pests in it! I haven’t had much issue with it catching beneficial insects either. I highly recommend this easy little project!

ETA a link since some people can’t see the photos: http://thesmallhorsefarm.blogspot.com/2016/07/biting-fly-trap.html?m=1

2 Likes

I had your blog post on this pulled up last night showing Mr LS. The horse flies are really bugging my horses in the hour before nightfall.

I couldn’t get the link to the DIY plans to work, but we think we can slap one or a few together based on pics. Might try making one similar to the H trap sold by spalding. The post design looks like it would be easy to move from one spot to another.

Thanks for starting this topic and sharing your pics!

If only I could see the images…sigh.

Ugh sorry, I’m another one who can’t see most photos (not even the ones I posted haha). There are some older photos on my blog post that @lenapesadie referenced: http://thesmallhorsefarm.blogspot.com/2016/07/biting-fly-trap.html?m=1. I see the plan link doesn’t work anymore though.

1 Like

I’m not going to add a link as I’m not sure if it’s the proper thing to do, but there are some easily googled installation instructions that have some detailed photos for the Horse Pal traps that a crafty or mechanically inclined individual might find useful if they are interested in a DIY project.

Have you tried the black soldier flies? I’ve heard they are good control for horse flies. I need to call and see if they are compatible with fly predators. I’m not sure if they are appropriate for all climates.

This is what (half of) two weeks’ worth of greenheads looks like, yuck: