Unlimited access >

Supplements for lazy horse

I have a typical chestnut mare, she only does what she wants to do when she wants to do it now she’s always been pretty lazy but recently it’s hard to keep her moving! She’s an ex riding school (barely in the school for over a year) pony but is quite sharp as she’s only young. She’s a dream to hack and is so speedy when we get out into open spaces so it’s not like she’s lazy all the time, when I lounge and loose school/ free jump she’s so good- very forward but listens so it’s not like she’s lazy all of the time and I’m always doing new things with her to stop her from being bored. However when I ride her I can’t get her moving! I always ride with a long stick and most of the time wear spurs (I never over use them but I know what I’m doing so it’s not like it’s me that’s making her lazy if that makes sense). She gets worked everyday as honestly I don’t believe in giving horses a day off and if she ever does have a day off she’s very naughty the next day but her lighter day include a loose school. She’s in moderate work and I never ride her for over an hour (unless hacking). She’s very fit, so it’s not like she’s lazy because she’s unfit but she is a little on the larger side, not obese anymore, she actually is in a good weight but could loose a little more. She’s only in a snaffle and a micklem bridle or a drop noseband bridle so it’s not like my tack is affecting her. Her back gets checked regularly and massages and we’ve just adjusted her saddle so that’s all fine. She’s on pony nuts and chaff which works well for her but as I’m on full livery I do not want any new feeds just supplements! But what I was wondering is can anyone recommend any supplements that might improve her way of going by and maybe spark her up a bit and stop her from being so lazy but as she is very sharp and a good doer I don’t want something too fattening. I can handle her being too fizzy as I’m used to that with the boys (whom are both 4) but I just get too impatient when she’s dead to my leg! Sorry for the long post and thank you!

My goodness. To put it in a nutshell:

She is speedy on the trail and a deadhead in the arena?

4 Likes

Honestly, sounds like a training issue–i.e. she does not respect your leg. Not all that unusual for school pony who had to deal with inexperienced riders with legs all over the place. I would take off the spurs, and go to the ask, tell, demand approach. Ask her with a quiet touch to move forward, when she does not respond, give a good kick, and if she still does not respond, smack her with the whip. Of course, keep the front door open–don’t hang on the mouth, and be prepared for a leap forward when she does respond. That’s ok–just let her go forward. A few times of this, and she should learn to respect the leg.

I apologize if this seems basic–not making any assumptions on your riding skills, just offering a suggestion. Good luck!

5 Likes

I would suggest trying to ride with no leg on your horse because a lot of the lazy horses that I have riden are have dead sides from being clung onto by other riders. I have a horse with the same problem, what I’ve been doing to taking my leg completely off and making my que very obvious. If you’re asking your horse to move up a gait use your leg pressure like you normally would and if the horse doesn’t respond use a crop to hit them right behind your leg (not the flank though!) I’m still working with this with my horse but it has added a lot of sensitivity on his sides. Hope it helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah she hates being ridden by anyone else apart from me!! And thank you, good luck with you horse!

It’s annoying because I basically backed her myself, she does know what she’s doing but she’s just stubborn but thank you!! I’ll try this :slight_smile:

Basically yeah!!

The more you look at a horse as “stubborn”, the more you miss the opportunities to learn how horses learn.

“STubborn” horses aren’t stubborn. That is a willful way of being. “Stubborn” horses have just learned that you don’t really mean what you say. Sometimes you get lucky and they decide to do what you ask, but too often you give up and they learn they can do things their way. The more that happens, the more they will wait you out.

This is 100% a training issue.

I would find a competent trainer - this means one who is both capable and compassionate - to teach you how to be 100% consistent in asking Every. Single. Time to get a response from the lightest possible request, and to know how to escalate the request every single time in the exact same way.

Inconsistencies lead to horses who behave this way.

5 Likes

Add some alfalfa hay to her diet. Also, just wondering, Is her thyroid ok?

Ahh thank you, and yes I believe so.

I don’t believe it is a training issue because my instructor and I have worked on her since she was 4 years old (she’s now 7), he’s one of the best instructors round my area and he’s broken in hundreds of brilliant horses so he knows what he’s doing. And she’s not always like this, it’s literally just been recently, she’s usually really speedy and strong but just as she’s lost some weight and has gotten a bit fitter she’s gotten a tad lazier. She’s come on so far and learnt so much since I’ve had her so I know she listens to me but I’m just confused of why she’s gotten lazier just these past few months. But thank you anyway.

1 Like

she is possibly lazier because she has gotten away with it. I agree with a polite ask but I would not do a hard kick. Polite ask then a quick swat with a crop and make sure you are not asking and holding back at the same time. NO SPURS. Spurs are for a responsive horse and light touch.

1 Like

One of my favorite training books addresses this, Lessons with Lendon has a great chapter all about ‘Go’ and ‘Whoa’ that I think every rider should read and consider.

2 Likes

How much weight has she lost and is she given enough calories for the workload? Try adding some calories and see what you have. Otherwise, its totally a training issue.

1 Like

Please know that I say this as a generality, and don’t know your trainer from Adam, so it’s not necessarily a direct comment in her direction :slight_smile: But some trainers don’t mesh with all horses, and not all trainers are as brilliant as they may seem. I know a few people who claim to be brilliant trainers, but that’s only because they (mostly) choose to work with horses who mesh with their preferred style of training. They purposefully don’t take on horses they think will be a challenge.

And she’s not always like this, it’s literally just been recently, she’s usually really speedy and strong but just as she’s lost some weight and has gotten a bit fitter she’s gotten a tad lazier.

Fitter doesn’t equate to lazier in any sense of the word.

She’s come on so far and learnt so much since I’ve had her so I know she listens to me but I’m just confused of why she’s gotten lazier just these past few months. But thank you anyway.

Horses who come through the growing years of learning and education might think that they must do what is asked of them, while at the same time starting to quietly test the waters. The more they are allowed to delay their reaction by 3 seconds, they more they will delay for 5 seconds, then 10, and it quietly creeps up on you that “suddenly” they are being “lazy”, only working when it suits their best interest.

Something isn’t jiving here. Either the horse is having some health issues, in which case she’s not getting more fit, and could lead to her not having the energy or ability to do what you ask, when you ask, how you ask. OR, she is just fine, is getting more fit, and has figured out your number and isn’t afraid to use it :wink:

Neither of those scenarios calls for a supplement though.

3 Likes