Unlimited access >

Supporting a Spooky Horse

My almost-8yo OTTB (new to me as of November) is a lovely guy. He came to me known to be a bit spooky (primary reason for sale by prior AA owner, who said she just didn’t have the confidence to deal with it) – he was chilled out during my trial ride and his vetting, and I was told by the trainer who had him for sale that the spooking was nothing serious, just tended to have a look at things and was fine if ridden forward and confidently. That seemed manageable to me, so I was happy to bring him home.

Having now had him for four months, I would overall agree with the trainer’s assessment of him. He’s a laid-back, affable dude with a great attitude toward work, is very companionable and connected/engaged with me as his person. When he arrived at my barn he was a bundle of nerves: didn’t handle his two-week quarantine particularly well, and was eyeballing and spooking at pretty much everything for the first 2-4 weeks. He was boarded at a small barn, and ours is large and busy – an adjustment, I think, but going from a pretty small world to a bigger one has probably been good for him. We took things slowly, expanding his bubble in small increments and doing exclusively groundwork for the first month post-quarantine until I was confident I had a horse that was relaxed and trusting enough to get on without concern. Everything has been pretty drama-free since then and he’s chill and accepting of more and more as time goes on: standing tied calmly while a tractor goes behind him or construction is going on around the yard, greater relaxation in places he was previously nervous about, etc.

That all said … he’s still the sort of guy who has a good spook in him. He’s naturally curious and trusting enough of me that I can introduce him to strange objects and he’s generally fine with them – he’s not the sort of guy who loses his mind on trash day or can’t cope with arena banners … his spooks are not so much about STUFF. For him it’s more of a sound and movement spook: too much wind in the trees, a squirrel, someone popping into view pushing a wheelbarrow, an object being dropped, the farrier at work on the other side of the arena wall. The spooks aren’t horrendous; he’ll lose his feet or go out the side door, but he comes back quickly and is usually able to get back to work within seconds. And in general I don’t find he’s constantly tense or worried. But he’s the guy who’s kinda always low-key looking for stuff to spook at, easily distracted, and harbors strong feelings about “scary corners” and things.

My approach thus far has just been to keep him engaged and ride forward (off the leg and into the bridle) and not make a deal of spooks when they happen, but that seems more of a band-aid than an actual cure. What I’d really like is to have him be less reactive to these things in the first place, because while they aren’t unmanageable, those kinds of spooks still aren’t fun (especially as I get older and bounce less well now), and I’d say happen on about one-third of our rides. Particularly as I start feeling more ready to take him out and about, it would be nice to help him relax more and spook less.

He was on magnesium when I got him, and as of a few weeks ago we switched over to Quiessence once the mag he came with ran out. The Quiessence hasn’t made a difference thus far.

So … suggestions for things that might help to reduce this kind of reactive spooking? Thanks in advance for any ideas that have worked for you!

1 Like

I added Vit E, Rite Trac and Recovery to my gelding who was spooky this winter and the combo helped with 24 hours.

I also ride him in a sound proof bonnet on windy days and that has also been a game changer

2 Likes

I dont have the magic bullet, unfortunately, but I can tell you what has helped with my guy.

As you mention, keeping him forward, focused and up into the bridle is a top requirement. No lollygagging or wishy washy riding. Watch the ears at all times! “Think about me, not about externals. I’ve got this, I’ll keep you safe. You do not have to be in charge.” It makes for a rather tiring ride, and there are no puttering along on the buckle trail rides, sadly, but it sure helps.

Second. Mine is the total Princess and The Pea. The least sign of discomfort and he’s letting me know. A bit stiff from a challenging lesson the day before? Tack not quite as he likes it? He’s going to tell me. If his hocks need attention or his front feet are ouchy, he’s going to really tell me. I watch very carefully for anything physical and fix it asap.

Thirdly. Time and trust. It just takes a while. After 3 years, we’ve developed so much more of a partnership. He still expects me to take care of him rather than the other way around, but he’s not quite so cavalier about my interests as he was.

I dearly love my horse and I’ve learned so much from him and continue to do so. But given the choice, I would prefer a more placid personality next time round!

8 Likes

I have a horse now that’s a little bit of a looky type horse. I’m not sure I would classify as totally spooky but he’s kind of hypervigilant.

For him I find magnesium helps but I see that it hasn’t helped your guy. Could you run a blood panel and see if he’s low on anything like vitamin E or anything else? Also have you considered ulcers? And do you feed him anything as a buffer beforehand?

With my horse keeping him busy definitely helps. But I will say the biggest thing has been finding out that even though he passed his PPE with flying colors… It turns out he is kissing spine. Which was honestly shocking because he’s so good natured and happy in work. But before the diagnosis there was a period of time where he was very spooky and I think it was discomfort for sure.

Now that he’s feeling better he’s pretty steady.

1 Like

There’s really nothing you can do other than what you’re doing. Just keep exposing him to things, building his trust in you, and letting him figure out that things will be ok. It doesn’t sound like he’s actually that spooky to me - generally chill except when startled but doesn’t have huge reactions and comes back within seconds is pretty solid IMO. All of the situations you describe would be “fair” spooks in my book, most horses are going to react to sudden noise or movement. You can improve his confidence in general so he doesn’t get as anxious in new situations like moving barns or trailering out to a show, but it’s unlikely you’ll ever get rid of the smaller spooks. They may get less frequent as he gets older but there’s no amount of training or supplements that’s going to stop him from hopping sideways when something startles him.

4 Likes

This is a very good point. I feel like my own horse is sooo much better but if it’s really windy or people pop out of the bushes (I saw this the other day, someone spooked a lesson horse) you can’t blame them for being startled.

I’d say those are pretty fair spooks, and since he doesn’t amp up and seems to come right back I don’t think you’re going to supplement this away. He COULD have some background discomfort, but I wouldn’t assume that unless the spookiness increases.

I think this is who he is. Sometimes they get less reactive with age (like much older), but not always. A startle is different from the inability to process and accept scary objects in the environment. Some horses grab ground, others teleport, and I’ll take anything over a shoulder drop/spin combo!

You could try earplugs or a soundproof bonnet, and they make low profile jumper blinkers and shadow rolls for the visual component. Be aware, however, that removing some of their “radar” can make them MORE reactive, since they don’t see/hear things coming. There are some USEF illegal supps that definitely work (which is why they’re illegal), but they’re more of a bandaid than just spending time and building trust.

He sounds like a good egg. Personally I doubt his startle will go away, so whether you want to deal with that is something to think about when making long term plans for your partnership. Good luck!

5 Likes

One thought - you could scope or treat for ulcers just to see. If you haven’t treated, he’s probably got them just from the moving and major environment changes. Ulcers can be present in even the most sound, fat, shiny, reasonable horse, and spookiness is a symptom.

Additionally, being an OTTB, if he raced at all he’s SEEN some sh*t. That’s different from a homebred that never left the farm - he’s probably just a spookier type, as almost nothing is as calamitous as the racetrack. Do you know if he raced in blinkers?

4 Likes

If you find the magic fix please share :grin:

It does sound like you’re both doing really well. I think just play around with things - some horses respond well to having their hand held and being ridden tactfully through it. Others might need a stronger reminder that they need to pay attention. And some go best when there’s much less pressure. I think all of them go better when the rider is genuinely chill and “ho hum, ok that was quite a spook, no problem, let’s keep doing this.” If the rider gets tense …

And I’d like to add that there’s nothing wrong with a horse who is alert and sometimes spooky :laughing:

My horse C is definitely one that goes better with less pressure when spooking. He’s 17 now, I’ve had him 11yrs. He always has been and always will be The Spook Master. Mostly it’s a startle, occasionally it’s a teleport, sometimes it’s a sudden halt’n’swerve - and he is FAST. At the beach a few weeks back he stopped and swerved at SEA FOAM so suddenly in walk I nearly hit the sand - he’s very obliging about not following up with anything else so I managed to go from lying up his neck to back in the saddle fairly easily. It did take a minute as I was laughing so hard - he’s been to the beach so many times … I have come off a few times over the years :rofl: :joy:

The really important part - his brain always stays in his head and he will do his best to take me with him. He had some excellent NH training as a 5yo - without that he’d be a very different (likely unrideable) horse. He is a phenomenal jumper and never spooks at fill. But when he was younger I had to take into consideration all the things outside the ring that might catch his eye. One show a kind passerby had to lead him onto the rubber surface we had to walk on to get to the ring. After a few years of not doing much for various reasons we’ve just done a season at 1.15-1.20m - with very few rails and I reckon the spook has a lot to do with how clean he is.

He’s had various vet work ups over the years, magnesium and soundproof ears don’t make any difference, some feeds and spring grass do make it worse. Fast work (a good gallop a couple of times a month) does really help (no, he’s not a TB). Once or twice a year he is unrideably spooky - usually a combo of spring grass, light work and horrible weather. I just get straight off - it’s the only time he every feels like he’s going to rocket launch me. He’s fine the next day.

My mare is a different kind - she’s nosy and insecure. Fortunately she’s a sloooooow spooker, so fairly easy to go with. She needs her hand held a lot more, but an escalation of pressure will just result in an escalation of behaviour. A lot of it is related to her physical comfort - it’s much worse when something is bothering her. 2yrs in and I feel like we’re really getting into a partnership and she trusts me a lot more (it’s been a very interrupted 2yrs).

Good luck, he sounds lovely.

4 Likes