Unlimited access >

Suspected trailer scam- how to tell if it is a scam?

I have been looking for a trailer and was checking craigslist for a major city about 300 miles south of me. I found two listings for the same brand of trailer(Sundowner), both 2 horse, fairly recently made and with walk in tack rooms. The asking price is 2,000. This seems too good to be true.

I sent the seller an email requesting pictures of the inside of the trailer. Any advice on other things to ask? I would love to get one for the price if it isn’t a scam, but also don’t want to drive 12 hrs for a round trip and find out it is a scam.

TIA

As long as you go see the trailer before any money changes hands…Check the floor condition well. Look for crash damage.

Ask for the VIN number to do some checking before making the trip. Call Sundowner & ask the original selling dealer. Make sure it isn’t stolen and they have the title. Be careful of duplicate or salvage titles. Finally… No title … no money.

Definite scam.

Here’s why…

Since you are in CA is checked So CA craiglist and found a 2000 Sundowner. I checked that picture out and there is an ad for a 2009 Sundowner in Alabama that has the exact same picture in it (for sale in Sept for 8500)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Sundowner-Sunlite-777-2-Horse-Bumper-Pull-Straight-Load-Dressing-Room-/131287757206

Price way to good to be true…

Thanks for the detective work foggybok- Thats the exact same picture of a trailer advertised as a 2005, for 2k on the SF bay area craigslist.

If it sounds to good to be true. You know that an aluminum trailer (featherlite/sundowner/4star/ect) even if its 15 years old in good condition is going to bring anywhere from 6 to 8k. Go to trailer world and look at prices/models thats a good indicator to tell if the ad is fake on craigs list.

… now if you have one of those stolen credit card numbers that can be purchased from the Russians and Chinese … that might be the way to purchase the scam trail by using a stolen credit card :smiley:

Yeah honestly who sells an aluminum trailer for $2k. Those ad have been going around for many years. You’d think people would be onto those loosers and time wasters.

I did enjoy stringing a few of those seller around for a while once I realized what they were up to.

I have noticed the same thing on Craig’s list. It was a Hawk just a couple years old for sale for $3k. Immediate red flag for me so I Googled the basic description of the trailer and looked at the images. Bingo! I found pictures of this trailer in ads all over the country and one looked like the original real ad in Mass for $9k. Buyer beware!

I am guessing they make money by asking for a deposit to hold the trailer for them. I have also seen ads for horses that were lifted pictures and the description didn’t match the horse. I report them and move on.

We found a similar boat deal. WAY to good to be true. Seller transferred. Had to sell. Boat already packed (how do you pack a boat?) and ready to ship (UPS???). A $5,000 deposit and they would ship the boat directly to us. Asked to talk to seller on the phone. Sadly, the seller said he/she had just had throat surgery and could not talk on the phone. We offered to fly to the location of the boat to see it, but since it was already packed, we just couldn’t do that.

I always ask for a short video tour with a cell phone, including VIN number and license plate.
If they can’t do that I’m not interested.
Weeds out the scammers.

As some else commented. When it is too good to be true it almost always is. Especially these days with internet selling.

I have come across these sort of “deals”, Craig’s list, Trailer world, E-Bay etc. The few I checked on always had just an email address. The price wasn’t as “cheap” as $2,000 but definitely under priced. Several were “stock photos” from the manufacture’s website or somewhere of like. Which was a tip off IMO.

When emailed asking where it is located and when can I check it out. The reply was always, "I have been transferred to some other part of the country or overseas. The trailer is in storage and they won’t let me to send people to look at it. When you pay for it by wire transfer or certified check the funds will be placed with my escrow agent and when you go and get it and if you don’t like it your payment will be refunded. I reply back I would feel better using my attorney and their escrow account. But send me the name and contact information for the escrow agent you are using and I will contact them. End of communication.

Two of these “Deals” were on Trailer World for a long time. I contacted Trailer World and told them it was a scam and they should take down the listing. Passed on the emails I had received from the “seller”. No response.

With E-Bay I have found it works like this, car or trailer. A buyer bids on it. So the seller has their contact information. The buyer/s get out bid and it is listed as sold. A few days later I get an email saying the “buyer defaulted” and they really need to sell quickly and drop the “selling” price substantially. And want payment basically the same as above. I reply saying it is no longer on “auction” and it is not that far from me. I will get a bank certified check, drive and meet the seller, check it out and the paperwork, if everything is in order I will buy it. End of communication, no response.

[QUOTE=arlosmine;8099609]
I always ask for a short video tour with a cell phone, including VIN number and license plate.
If they can’t do that I’m not interested.
Weeds out the scammers.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I asked the same and the seller said they now live over seas and can’t do it. I said get a friend to do it. No response.

The “I live overseas” thing makes it a sure bet it’s a scam…99.999% of the time.

Well known scam

For any underpriced trailer, just right click on the trailer photo and “search Google for this Image.” You’ll almost always find the same photo in multiple ads around the country.

A friend got taken on a deal like this. Lost 1500 bucks (because, you know, greed) and barely avoided sending more money.

If the price is too good to be true, it most likely is a scam.