Unlimited access >

Suspensory Injuries....healing and preventing?

I have a horse who tore both of his front suspensory’s two years ago. Has been sound and so far has no problems with those legs. Recently he got a spur on his left hind suspensory. Got blood work, etc. done to see why he keeps injuring himself. Couldn’t find anything, not metabolic either. He hasn’t jumped over 3ft, lives in a 12x12 stall, and gets warmed up and exercised properly. Any ideas why he keeps injury that ligament? I have put him on a supplement SuspensorySaver so we will see if that helps.

Any suggestions on helping to aide the healing process with ice boots or magnetic boots? He has gotten Tildren, and 4 treatments of shockwave done. Unfortunately he is a very highly energetic 17h warmblood which makes the recovery process difficult. Even with Ace he is a ball of energy. We were hand walking for a little while, and then moved up to tack walking. But he is going nuts with not working. Any suggestions on how to rehab a horse like this?

You can try a long acting sedative. I’ve seen that be successful with horses rehabbing.

Reserpine comes to mind. It can cause colic in horses so if you choose to do that, I’d plan on being around (or having someone at the barn) to double check on your horse for the first week or so.

I feel you! My horse sustained a few injuries, one being left high suspensory. He has a lot of energy even through ace, so my vets suggested fluphenazine. It worked very well! It made it safe for me and for the guy who was helping me.

Ultimately I chose to send him away but the fluphazine lasted for several weeks. He didn’t seem drugged just calmer. My horse is also a colicer and he did very well on this.

Unfortunately hind suspensories are more difficult to deal with than front. Time, time and more time is important. dealing with the healing horse is a challenge. I would discuss both reserpine and fluphenazine with your vet. Reactions are individual, and you need him in your corner.

If you check on the eventing forum, there is a long thread on suspensories, primarly those who have done surgery but others as well.

There is no mention of turn out time. This guy maybe needs to get out and learn how to move around on his own.

I’m sorry you are having to deal with this… from one horse owner to another (I understand)!!

My horse had a ligament issue over a year ago and all you can do to prevent it -

Make sure horse is shod balanced and regularly.
Footing in your arena is as good as you can get it.
Daily movement to keep horses fitness.
Make sure his under saddle work is done in a balanced way as if you are working out at the gym to exercise certain muscles and build strength.
Don’t lunge if you don’t have to.

And for those that are a bit more difficult mentally you may want to check for ulcers… Or do what I did and invest the 800.00 in Ulcerguard to see if we had improvement in crazy attitude vs going for scoping. Entirely up to you on that one. But I did have positive results with Ulcerguard treatment…

I also started Smartcalm Ultra daily supplement.

There was a product I fed years ago that I am thinking of ordering for this horse which is called Ligaplex. It is for humans but I gave it to one of my other horses that had some ligament issues and it really helped him.

Edited to add the Ligaplex link - this product was referred to me by a very great Vet.

https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/Ligaplex-II#.VOAK5ObF88k

Thought of turn out came to mind. Just worried he will further injury himself because of his high energy. When he was laid up with the front suspensory injuries he jumped out of the paddock.

Small space turn out

Small space turnout and some sort of tranq?

My mare had a LH suspensory problem and surgery, and when her stall rest was over she went out in a tiny pen (about the size of two stalls) for a few hours each day, close to the barn so someone could keep an eye on her and bring her in if she got silly. She was on acepromazine for quite a while, too (not great for geldings from what I hear.)

In the subsequent 5 years, she has not reinjured the suspensory but has had all kinds of other soundness issues; right now she’s actually doing amazingly well.

We are on month 7 of a hind torn suspensory, month 7 of stall rest with hand walking and occasional sedated turn out in a small area.

As many stall toys as possible and try to only hand walk him when the barn is more quiet. Ask to have him stalled in an area with a view – such as by the crossties, near the arena, etc.

Only consider turnout if you can make a paddock the size of his stall, or maybe two stalls.

After time off, Tildren, shockwave, and no improvement out vet has recommended a neurectomy. His suspensory is not torn, there is a spur rubbing on it. Anyone have any experiences with suspensory neurectomy?

Your neurectomy is only as good as your block. In other words, if you can’t block it, nerving won’t help. Also down the road, the suspensory may tear above the nerving. But sometimes it works well and you can buy a lot more time.

[QUOTE=cassiegannon;8048016]
After time off, Tildren, shockwave, and no improvement out vet has recommended a neurectomy. His suspensory is not torn, there is a spur rubbing on it. Anyone have any experiences with suspensory neurectomy?[/QUOTE]

Can the spur be surgically removed? I’d get a consult from a very good surgeon before considering nerving.