Suuuuuper. I have Hashimoto's Disease (Update p. 2).

After dealing with swings of insomnia and extreme-drunk-feeling fatigue, migraines, stubborn belly weight, heart palpitations, severe body aches, near-fainting, and literally every symptom listed at the MayoClinic for this condition, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. In essence, my body has decided my thyroid is an invader and it needs to DIE DIE DIE! A blood test confirmed the presence of the anti-thyroid antibodies; 0-34 is normal range; 150 is diagnostic for the condition; I scored a 404. WHOO!..hoo.

I have had a notable increase in severity and frequency of symptoms in the last few months. Super. Some days, I feel so crappy I don’t feel like going to the barn–really? I’d rather lie on the couch??

I’ve started medication (that I’ll be on all my life as the condition has no cure–it stops only when the thyroid is dead or they remove it) but it’ll take 6-8 weeks to feel any improvement.

Bonus round: a 1cm solid nodule was found via ultrasound on my left thyroid lobe. These singular solid nodules (as opposed to fluid-filled cysts) are more likely to be cancerous in folks with my condition. Suuuuuper. More likely than with other folks, but still not typically the case. So, I’ve got that going for me.

My GP has referred me to an endocrinologist, so I need to wait for them before a biopsy or whatever is done.

I disapprove.

But hey, at least it explains why I feel like I’ve been beaten with a bag of potatoes after a ride, and why my heart rate can’t figure out when to slow down after exercising.

An answer is far, FAR better than a mystery.

I’m sorry for your diagnosis, but welcome to the club. In addition to Hashimoto’s, I have Addison’s Disease (my adrenals don’t work, either) and MS. However, with the right medical help, you CAN get your mojo back, at least enough to enjoy life again. However, finding a good doctor is key. I fired three before I found my current Doc and it’s been about four years balancing my thyroid function. You might start by going to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. It’s a VERY good source for information regarding the endocrine system, and how doctors routinely misstreat thryoid conditions. I’ve been on this journey since 2008, and would be happy to share all the information I have. You can get your life back, or a somewhat modified version of it, so hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon!

I have Hashimotos also. Honestly I have not found it to be a big deal. I had many of the same symptoms you posted but they improved somewhat after I started on the meds.
Just be aware that autoimmune diseases tend to run in packs. Like potato chips, you don’t get just one.

I was first diagnosed a few years ago with Latent Auto Immune Diabetes in Adults (LADA), which is basically late onset Type I. (Im 45 now). Its what is called Juvenile diabetes but it doesn’t show up til youre an adult.
Then the Hashimotos, then I was in the hospital with viral meningitis caused by Shingles, and then Celiac disease and most recently Lupus.
The symptoms you described are also consistent with Celiac and Lupus, and these conditions are often are related and secondary to each other.

So make sure that your doctors run the appropriate tests if you don’t start seeing some improvement fairly soon. I went to a few doctors who just decided that i was depressed and gave me prozac, which did nothing and then proclaimed that at my age it was just hormones and I would have to deal with it. Um no. So after suffering for 18 months I sent myself to a rheumatologist who is actually helping me. Its no fun but if you are persistent and willing to change doctors if needed you can find one who will listen and will help you.

I was just dx Hashi’s as well earlier this week. I’m at 248 on a range of 0-34 for TPO antibodies.

Do you post on a thyroid forum? I think I recognize your name.

I’m starting a Meetup thyroid group in my area to meet fellow thyroid sufferers. If you ever want to chat or vent, I’m here.

[QUOTE=Jaegermonster;7128612]
I have Hashimotos also. Honestly I have not found it to be a big deal. I had many of the same symptoms you posted but they improved somewhat after I started on the meds.[/QUOTE]

It’s a deal if an endo refuses to put you on any meds. I had a 2+ year battle trying to convince medical professionals that yes, there is something wrong with me. Turns out I was right, and now the war continues for me to try to find someone who will listen to me, again, about my wish for medication.

[QUOTE=Schune;7128673]

It’s a deal if an endo refuses to put you on any meds. I had a 2+ year battle trying to convince medical professionals that yes, there is something wrong with me. Turns out I was right, and now the war continues for me to try to find someone who will listen to me, again, about my wish for medication.[/QUOTE]

well yes of course it is. And I have been through that war myself over the last couple of years.
I was responding to the OP, who stated that she has been put on meds. As far as general quality of life issues etc as per the OPs concerns, it isn’t as horrible as many of the other things I mentioned that often come along with it or that it is secondary to, that she should be watching out for/getting tested for.

I was diagnosed with each thing one at a time over the last 4 years, until I was finally diagnosed with Lupus which is what it was all along and the other things were just all part of the Lupus. I would much rather have only the Hashimotos.

I agree with the other poster who said this condition may not have a lot of impact. I have three autoimmune diseases–Hashi’s, Sjogrens, and the lottery winner rheumatoid arthritis. Only the rheumatoid arthritis has any serious impact on my life. For Hashi’s, I take my synthroid, keep my TSH, free T3 an freeT4 monitored, and it is kept under control.

For some people, synthroid alone is not enough, but that is something you will need to work through with your doctor. For me, it is.

Rebecca

I hope it’s no big deal. Right now the fatigue and severe body aches has made me one with the sofa for hours. I managed to work (teaching) today, but kept dozing off trying to grade during my prep.

I figure this waiting for the meds to start working (six weeks or so) will be the roughest part. I hope.

Glad I’m not alone here!

Definitely look into supplementing Synthroid with Cytomel (T3) – it can make a huge difference in treating symptoms, not just blood levels. A really helpful resource is Ridha Arem, THE THYROID SOLUTION.

All the women in my family have Hashimoto’s. No big deal. We just get tested every six months for levels and a full panel once a year.

I was diagnosed 30 years ago. I’ve never had a problem since. Medication is cheap, cheap, cheap. If you have to have a disease, this is the one to have.

My mother was diagnosed as a teenager.

Has anyone on this thread been tested for heavy metal toxicity?

It would be interesting too, if the Doctors might have a way to check for radiation levels. The fallout from the Fukushima disaster was predicted to cause many thyroid problems in those who might have been exposed. The fallout traveled everywhere, so presumably anyone who has not been under a rock since that time has been exposed to it. To the OP, I am sorry you have this, but am glad you finally got a diagnosis. I seem to recall that getting a diagnosis has been a major challenge for quite awhile.

[QUOTE=sdlbredfan;7130539]
It would be interesting too, if the Doctors might have a way to check for radiation levels. The fallout from the Fukushima disaster was predicted to cause many thyroid problems in those who might have been exposed. The fallout traveled everywhere, so presumably anyone who has not been under a rock since that time has been exposed to it. To the OP, I am sorry you have this, but am glad you finally got a diagnosis. I seem to recall that getting a diagnosis has been a major challenge for quite awhile.[/QUOTE]

I had all of these symptoms and I was at high levels of lead and mercury, and had been mold poisoned. Also am positive for Lyme but that is not what brought on these issues. The radiation fallout from Fukishima is not an issue, as a propaganda tool perhaps, read this: http://www.hiroshimasyndrome.com/fukushima-commentary.html and besides the best efforts of the anti-nuclear grouping like that quack from Germany, so called Dr. Alexander Klinghardt who made thousands and thousands off of scaring people post storm. I still want to know if these doctors did anything but look at thyroid levels and did they even suspect heavy metal toxicities, these autoimmune, rheumatoid arthritis and every syndrome in the book is become an epidmemic. When I had my first episode of not being able to take a full breath, and my throat swelled, all I was hit with was allergy medicines and then when that did not work, they went to obscene levels of prednisone. Thankfully I survived that, worked the mold out of my system (by the way, clearing heavy metals is the same as clearing radiation poisoning), same process.
I had chelation for a year and am far better, they also tried to tell me I had a low thyroid, but I was just suffering from bad water, high levels of iron, copper, and of course the lead and mercury. Get your heavy metal levels tested, all of them!

I am with some of the others. I have that as well as Lupus. OP I would be aware and if your symptoms persist, you may want to talk to a rheumatologist to see if there is a larger autoimmune disorder in play. I hope that is all you have as it can be easily dealt with and with routine monitoring, you should be back to your old self in the near future.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I’m newly diagnosed and have just started medication, and I understand it takes 6 weeks or so for the meds to work. It’s driving me crazy. Friday-Saturday I was insanely fatigued in a way that only compares to the times I’ve been coming out of general anesthesia. Then, once I did lie down, the body aches were just pulsating through me–I felt like I was just humming in dull ache. Not horrible, but just constant. I tried to get up and be functional yesterday–heh, one Big Thing on my to-do list was go get my blood drawn–and every time I tried, I needed an hour nap after. Actually, these aren’t just naps; they’re deep, hard sleeps filled with seriously funky dreams.

Today, I’m still tired, but now I have the rapid pulse rate (resting is around 90-110, depending; sitting here it’s been hovering around 104) and really bad shakes that drive me nuts. I have a dull headache, but not the crippling one I had last week. I’m considering starting the beta blocker the cardiologist gave me for the palpitations, but I’m not sure I want to yet. I just don’t want to keep adding medications.

I figure (hope), as LauraKY and many others of you said, that once we find the right treatment for me this will be no big deal. I just want to feel better–my symptoms have been increasing in both severity and frequency in the last 4 months or so. The last month in particular has made it hard to function.

Since this diagnosis is new, they’re still checking other things. My GP included my rheumatoid factor in the bloodwork drawn yesterday, as well as the TH and free T3 and T4. She also is checking my prolactin levels, which made me scratch my head until I learned she’s checking my pituitary gland function.

Seriously, as I type with jittery fingers, I just want to feel better. Annnnytime now. But now that we have a diagnosis, I know things will be getting much better–there just will be a few bumps in the road along the way. But, as someone told me on the thyroid forum (yes, Schune, that’s me :slight_smile: ), doing nothing is infinitely worse than any bumps in the road I encounter trying to find the right treatment.

I’m frustrated I’m not in the saddle, but I know my boy is young, but not too young (11) and thoroughly trained, so he’ll be okay enjoying the life of leisure for a bit. I’d like to ride today, but only emotionally have the desire to–mentally I’m exhausted, and physically I’m exhausted. So, enjoy your time off Tril. :slight_smile: Hopefully I’l be able to get in the saddle at least once a week.

Lauruffian,

Note that different labs have different ranges of TSH that they consider acceptable, so depending on what lab you Dr uses, TSH levels from one lab may come back as acceptable from one lab but too high from another lab. The lab my dr uses considers anything 5.0 acceptable, but I know I feel like crap when my TSH goes above 3. I’m lucky as my dr is older and was practicing when they used to also consider patient symptoms when determining medication levels so he will adjust my meds if my levels are above 3.0 even though the lab may say I am within acceptable range.

I wish some of you would stop saying Hashimoto’s is no big deal. Maybe it isn’t for you, but it can seriously impact quality of life for some. No two people with Hashimoto’s are the same, nor does the same treatment plan work for everyone. Lauruffian, if you don’t get relief in the next few weeks, keep researching, asking questions and pushing until you get results! Hashi’s isn’t always “no big deal,” but with the right care, you can get back on track again.

Hmmm, seems to me some of us (myself included) said it hasn’t been a big deal FOR ME. Each individual’s mileage will vary. But I’ve got to say, compared to rheumatoid arthritis, which many people with Hashi’s have (or lupus), Hashi’s fades to obscurity for many people. I didn’t say for everyone–I said for many people.

Rebecca

Hashimoto’s

[QUOTE=downen;7137859]
I wish some of you would stop saying Hashimoto’s is no big deal. Maybe it isn’t for you, but it can seriously impact quality of life for some. No two people with Hashimoto’s are the same, nor does the same treatment plan work for everyone. Lauruffian, if you don’t get relief in the next few weeks, keep researching, asking questions and pushing until you get results! Hashi’s isn’t always “no big deal,” but with the right care, you can get back on track again.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s when my cancerous thyroid was removed. After 20 years or more of symptoms, I was delighted to have a dx. All these years my doctors had been prescribing synthroid and going by my TSH. I asked my former endocrinologist to test me for anti thyroglobulin antibodies but she refused. Said the TSH was all she needed. When my GP tested me, I was at 448 vs normal range under about 48.
It has taken several years for the antibodies to get out of my system. During that time my thyroid meds have had to be frequently adjusted. I can now say that I feel better than I did 30 years ago. I am bitter about the lack of a diagnosis for so many years. can’t do anything about if now.
One note, be careful with the cytomil T3. When I needed it, it as wonderful but, when my levels rose, it was frightening

Good luck!

You’re gonna be sooooo much better. May take awhile to get your dose settled but after you’re stabilized; you’ll feel back to normal. It’s amazing! Thank goodness you have something so easy to treat. I agree with a previous poster; it’s a good one to have and also very common. Cheer up! It’s all uphill from here! Best wishes from all of us!!

Thank you all. Update–I’m having a biopsy of a single, solid nodule next Tuesday. It’s a bit of a concern, but not a big red waving flag–more, she’d rather it not be solid, rather it not be singular, rather I not come from a female family history of cancers (and in particular female cancers–2 breast and 1 uterine), and rather I not be the only member of my family with thyroid disease.

She’s a bit concerned, but not alarmed, and really so am I. I’m really glad she’s checking the nodule.

She also thinks it’s possible I have both Hashimoto’s and Graves disease–some super lucky folk do have both–as I have symptoms of both. I chuckled and said, “Couldn’t I just win the lottery instead?”

So, she’s also running a number of tests on my thyroid–TSH, T4 total, T3 total, free T4, TSI, and some others I don’t recall.

I also have an elevated rheumatoid factor, high enough to be diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, but I seriously doubt I have RA as my symptoms don’t match. She thinks I may have other autoimmune diseases as having one makes you prone to having another, but she’s passing me on to the rheumatologist for that one.

Good news is, I noticed today I actually had energy in the early evening, whereas for weeks I’ve been one with the couch. I’m hoping it’s a sign the meds are working. I even had energy to go and turn out the horses and thoroughly groom them, treat them with Fly Rid, that sort of thing yesterday. :slight_smile: