Unlimited access >

Swedish Eventer Box Qutie Euthanized

If it was laminitis, I think they would have said that.

The circulatory system at the ankle can be fragile and, depending on exactly what happened (not arm chair guessed by people), the circulatory system along with tendons, muscles and potential bone (a fracture may have been discovered post ‘soft tissue injury’, I don’t know) could have been compromised.

I assume (don’t know) that at some point, the results of the complete necropsy required by FEI will be released.

Sorry for the loss of this mare. Box Qutie and Anna Freskgard had a nice round :frowning:

Either a social media post from the rider, or an article I read elsewhere, said this was exactly what it was. So sad.

2 Likes

For those of us who are uneducated in medical terms and too lazy to Google, could explain briefly in layman’s terms?

A blood clot.

Thank you! Now that I read it the light bulb went on! I’ll get back to project management administrating now…so hard to switch gears lately.

Article quoting their vet regarding progress then deterioration
https://www.hippson.se/artikelarkivet/falttavlan/falttavlansveterinar-lisa-lidbeck-om-box-qutie.htm
VVia Google translate as I don’t speak Swedish so if anyone can better translate

Box Qutie injured in connection with the finish of Saturday’s terrain in Tryon. The horse rider Anna Freskgård quickly got off and the horse was taken care of and drove immediately to the clinic in horse ambulance. Once upon a time there was a damage to the right front’s superficial bow.
"She was doing a good job, walking around the box and ate. I was more worried about strain or colic, "says veterinarian Lisa Lidbeck, who is back in Sweden.

Found blood clots
But suddenly, Box Qutie became very slippery and when ultrasound her, blood clots were found above the knee of the injured leg.
“When the blood supply to the vessels stops, then it does not heal and the tissue begins to break down,” explains Lisa.
The clinic’s veterinarians struggled to dissolve the stoppers but could not. Box Qutie was very hurt and on Wednesday the decision was made to let her fall asleep.
"Their veterinarian called me yesterday at 23 o’clock and said he could not hurt her and that it was not worth continuing.
Lisa says that such a late injury like Box Qutie usually had to heal. And even though she had not been able to come back to the competition, she had acted as a breeder.

• This is no common complication. But sometimes you do not understand everything, says Lisa, who has no explanation as to why it became as it became.

All the horses in top shape
The withdrawal to the World Championship is made by the federation Fredrik Bergendorff, but of course in collaboration with the other members of the team where Lisa Lidbeck is included. Lisa wanted to be sure that the horses that went to Tryon were in top shape.
"My advice to him was not to bring horses in the team who were dubious from a health point of view. Qutie was no exception, says Lisa.
She has self-examined and ultrasound Box Qutie in front of the championship. In addition, all horses are examined by three veterinarians appointed by FEI prior to the start of the competition.
"There were no indications that she would not be ready for a World Cup. I never risked releasing her on the track if I had the least suspicion that this would happen. It’s an extreme achievement the horse racing horses do and Qutie was really in good condition.
After the trial and when she was taken to the clinic, she also took samples of her muscular values ​​that were completely normal.

• There was no evidence that she was exhausted or exhausted. It’s terribly boring and maximum bad luck.
    Google Translate

This is via Google translate as I don’t speak Swedish. So it’s a little wonky - but articles found on site below regarding the incident are much more informative than the canned response everone is(or had to)repeat here. Below are comments for Lisa their vet
https://www.hippson.se/artikelarkivet/falttavlan/falttavlansveterinar-lisa-lidbeck-om-box-qutie.htm
Swap to Swedish
Box Qutie injured in connection with the finish of Saturday’s terrain in Tryon. The horse rider Anna Freskgård quickly got off and the horse was taken care of and drove immediately to the clinic in horse ambulance. Once upon a time there was a damage to the right front’s superficial bow.
"She was doing a good job, walking around the box and ate. I was more worried about strain or colic, "says veterinarian Lisa Lidbeck, who is back in Sweden.

Found blood clots
But suddenly, Box Qutie became very slippery and when ultrasound her, blood clots were found above the knee of the injured leg.
“When the blood supply to the vessels stops, then it does not heal and the tissue begins to break down,” explains Lisa.
The clinic’s veterinarians struggled to dissolve the stoppers but could not. Box Qutie was very hurt and on Wednesday the decision was made to let her fall asleep.
"Their veterinarian called me yesterday at 23 o’clock and said he could not hurt her and that it was not worth continuing.
Lisa says that such a late injury like Box Qutie usually had to heal. And even though she had not been able to come back to the competition, she had acted as a breeder.

• This is no common complication. But sometimes you do not understand everything, says Lisa, who has no explanation as to why it became as it became.

Anyone know why Lisa vet still was/was at the time/or had gone back to Sweden? Sara OSTHOLT who was 5th after dressage withdrew Wega and cited her in interviews in addition to the above quotes and commentary regarding Box Qutie?

I had a gut reaction to what sounded like namby pamby PR writing. I was wrong for reacting as I did.

This is really heartbreaking. I feel so bad for the horse and her people.

I’ve heard of a lot of things, but there are clearly many I don’t know about: add this to the list of weird deadly ailments a horse can suffer. I wonder if this is something that just happens like it can in people with Deep Vein Thrombosis, or was it a result of an injury, perhaps knocking her leg on a jump or something? From the article quoted above, it sounds like the thrombus was the only condition. There is no mention of anything else.

Is this rare? Like I said, I’ve never heard of it before.

I think the article said the mare bowed a tendon but was doing well, and they anticipated a good recovery, but the blood clot formed during recovery later and efforts to dissolve it failed.

As I mentioned before, I had it happen to a horse once. There was no obvious trauma causing the issue just came in 3 legged, not weight bearing lame on that leg one day. Though he could have done something in the paddock I guess. I think it is pretty rare, I had never heard of it before my horse.