Unlimited access >

Swedish Eventer Box Qutie Euthanized

Oh,no. :frowning: http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/…country-injury

What a bummer. I am saddened to read this.

Dammit. That mare was in terrible trouble at the finish line. This sucks

1 Like

I was afraid of that. Those front legs did not look good. I remember yelling “get off!” at the tv.

1 Like

Me, too! Me, too!

Two dead horses so far at a world-class event and it’s so commonplace now in some disciplines we almost expect it at every major event. Has it always been this way?

7 Likes

I didn’t watch the live feed. Was the horse in bad shape towards the end of the course? Or did it look like a sudden breakdown?

Very sad, either way.

Yes. That doesn’t mean it is acceptable and we should be blasé about it. We have better tools/research/safety techniques, we need to reduce this substantially with them.

you push anything to the limit and some go past. That is a World Championship…but also we owe it to horses and riders to figure out techniques so no one pays the highest price. Fund equestrian research and support reform efforts that will make a difference!

6 Likes

I was watching and it looked more than a tendon to me. But only saw a few steps. Was so happy when it was reported as a soft tissue issue. So now they say he was put down because of a blood flow issue? Yes very sad

PR to call it anything but the truth, she blew both front suspensories. Anything other than broken bones is a ‘soft tissue injury’

4 Likes

What kind of soft tissue injuries could cause that sort of problem? I’ve never heard of this… …something new to worry about. Would a tendon injury be considered a soft tissue?

Anything but bones is soft tissue.

7 Likes

I was watching the live feed and it certainly looked like more than the minor injury they were trying to make it out as. It was quite obvious as she pulled up at the finish line - though I did not think she looked terrible prior to that. I will say I noticed when the next rider crossed the finish line they already had a trailer pulled up right next to where she was stopped. I remember thinking at the time that it wasn’t a good sign that they had already determined that they needed to transport the horse and didn’t want to move her any further than necessary.

2 Likes

Yes … usually used to refer to tendon or ligament injuries. Which can of course fall anywhere on the spectrum from extremely minor to catastrophic.

2 Likes

It sounds like the horse developed a thrombus later in the course of recovery, and that was why she was euthanized.

5 Likes

Good thought, @Eventer13 . I had not thought of that.
My thought when they said ‘circulation issue’ was laminitis.

1 Like

I had one that developed a blood clot cutting off circulation to the leg once. I had to euthanize him sadly. He was a retiree and had been for 6 years. The vets said he would get gangrene if I did not as the tissue would die. That would certainly be possible here.

1 Like

How sad, dead horses are not acceptable! .

Now you just know about them because of social media as well as mandated reporting. Social media hasn’t always been there and reporting of incidents hasn’t always been mandated.

4 Likes

You know this how? Just by looking on TV? Part of the mare’s care team?

2 Likes