Switching disciplines in Austin Texas

Hi! Looking for advice to get started in the western world.

I’m an adult rider (beginner to advanced beginner) looking to improve as a rider and horse person.

I’ve been riding at h/j show barns in the Austin, Texas area for 5 yrs and the horse I was leasing recently retired - was a very rare and lucky care lease situation. In my search for my next horse, I’m learning:

Minimum lease fee at local h/j barns is in the low five figures

I am still too green of a rider to lease or buy a young or sensitive horse

Buying an older horse makes no sense as they’d need to retire soon.

I just can’t justify spending 5 figures on a one year lease fee when all I need is a steady eddy to learn the basics (do not care about fanciness or showing).

I want to become a good rider, I like riding 3-4 times a week, and I’m willing to spend up to 30k a year (all in, board, lessons, tack, training rides) to be in a program where I can learn, honestly in any discipline where the trainer is ethical, horses are safe, and horse care is top priority. I have no idea where to start with other disciplines but it seems like I’m reaching a dead end in the h/j world as the price of reputable programs and lease fees has just skyrocketed beyond what I am willing to pay.

Does anyone here have recommendations for western programs in the Austin area or just advice on how to improve as a rider and horse person?

Please know that no one is guaranteed any amount of time with a horse. Buy the horse that works for you now.

1 Like

That’s a very good point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Contact me @ betsyburkeparker@gmail.com
A friend has lived in Austin for 2 plus years and wholescale swapped from UL eventing world and foxhunting in northern Virginia to roping, reining and etc. He’ll have all the info. :blush:

2 Likes

Not sure what part of Austin you’re in, but if you don’t mind driving to New Braunfels, Jay Finn and his wife moved their business over there. They do reined cow horse, reining, ranch riding/trail, and more. It could be a great program for you!

1 Like

Just to level set expectations - western does not necessarily equate to cheaper.

Since your focus is on learning, I searched IEA and YEDAs websites to see if there were any teams close to Austin. It looks like this trainer: http://www.kellyhaydonhorsetraining.com/ runs a program near by-ish.

IEA teams are generally going to be a safer bet for lessons simply because their entire model is that participants don’t need to own their own horses, where many barns are no longer keeping lesson programs in place. I would reach out and see if you can get more information about their program and maybe see if you could audit a lesson to determine if you think that might be a good fit.

1 Like

Very fair point! I didn’t mean to imply Western is cheaper just trying to cast a wider net. This is a good suggestion - I’ll look into it.

@Hunter_s_Rest is a good horsewoman and resource. I would trust her recommendation.

1 Like