Unlimited access >

Tack Organization - new shed!

I could use some tack storage tips. I have seen a few topics on this but does anyone have any ideas for grooming equipment in the barn when there is no wall to hang it on? I looked at cabinets but COVID seems to have wiped out any plastic ones that were reasonable. And metal are just WOW. I have one wall I want to put the blankets on during the day. And one blank space with a saddle rack. I could possibly do shelving but the dust. UGH.
And if anyone has any nifty tips to setting up my tack shed. Like do you put one the saddle stand and hanger all the tack by horse? So each station has saddle blanket bridle that each horse uses? I am super excited, from no space to too much!

2 Likes

check your local Goodwill, thrift shop, antique shops and craiglist for office filing cabinets. Those are almost always available for dirt cheap, since paper files are becoming obsolete. They have nice deep drawers and are very sturdy.

1 Like

Do you have any wood working skills and tools? It is less expensive to build than buy. And in a tack room (usually) furniture grade carpentry skills aren’t necessary.

There are lot of things on the internet that you can copy, modify, or even have plans posted.

One other idea is to use plastic bins for storage. They are stackable and if you get clear ones you can easily see what’s inside.

I sometimes see armoires for free or reasonably priced on Craigslist. I remember old threads that showed ways people had fixed them up for tack and supplies.

1 Like

armoire used here. i do love mine and its large size for a corner was perfect.

7 Likes

As far as metal shelving, keep an eye out for estate sales, yard sales etc., sometimes you’ll find all kinds of shelving for a good price, same with an Armoire.

Check ikea. The pine shelving is fairly cheap and in stock.

Another idea is to get a ULINE caalog to look through. I use their Gridwall system in my tack room. It is primarily designed for retail displays in stores, but is very versatile and surprisingly inexpensive. The catalog has shelving, storage containers, boxes, hangers and such. If you are old enough to remember Sears catalogs, the ULINE paper catalog is perhaps half as thick.

https://www.uline.com/.

Yes, I have this same set-up and it’s awesome.

I bought a used black gridwall panel locally off Marketplace ($10) as shipping a new one would have been pricey - and had my partner cut it into thirds for the back (1) and sides (2) of my locker. The accessories and hanging brackets for it were ordered off of hubert.ca. It’s the most organized my locker has ever been!

It doesn’t have the same aesthetic impact as in an entire tack room, but I love having the ability to re-organize all the hangers and hooks whenever I like.

1 Like

I also have a gridwall set up in my tackroom, plus I bought a metal wire rack shelf from Target. They have accessories you can add to the wire rack shelves, including hanging baskets and hooks. I also bought some super cheap plastic drawers (also from Target) and stuck them inside the wire rack shelf to put more stuff in.

Do you have buy nothing or freecycle groups near you? If you do, post a wanted add for what you’re after. People are often happy just to get rid of things that won’t fetch much if posted for sale.