Unlimited access >

Tack shop that measures for custom boots? (CT, NY)

So I’ve given up on off-the-rack and semi-custom boots and have decided to go for customs. I’m traveling East the week of the 14th. I called Dover Saddlery and Beval. They both are no longer measuring for custom boots. Whaaat?

I IMed Westbrook Hunt Club with no response. No one picked up the phone. Got my first Vote Is from them.

Any suggestions?

PS: I’ll also be in NYC, so I could go to Vogel or Der Dau for a fitting. (I was surprised how much more DDs are than Vogels.) Trying to stay under 2k.

PPS: My calves are about 16.5", but have really high arches and maybe big ankles? I’ve tried XW Ariats, but can’t get them to zip over the ankles.

There is a Tucci rep that travels around Westchester. RIDE in Bedford also does measurements, you can check the brands on their site.

What a shame that Beval no longer measures for custom boots. Manhattan Saddlery I believe still measures for customs, but they do Vogel and Der Dau so you might as well go directly to them if you decide on their boots. I know some people complain about poor fitting Vogels but the friends I know who have gotten Vogels had good experiences.

Another vote for RIDE in Bedford. They are very friendly, professional and have great taste - I’ve seen their custom boots they help people design and they are gorgeous!

Right?? Talk about the end of an era.

I have to say that I drove by the old Beval location in Connecticut a while back, and I almost burst into tears at the sight of the building sitting there empty. Lots of memories there.

4 Likes

Depending on where you’re staying, getting to the Vogel workshop (in the Brooklyn Navy Yard) can be a real pain, especially on public transit. Manhattan Saddlery still measures for Vogel as far as I know, but hasn’t done Der Dau in many years.

RIDE in Bedford is a great option - I know they do a lot of DeNiro and might also do Fabbri.

1 Like

RIDE is great! The Horse Connection is also fantastic. They’re in Bedford as well

It’s harder and harder to find high end products/services at tack shops because everyone is shopping at horse shows. If you stopped by a big horse show (HITS would probably be the closest) you would find all the major boot brands there and happy to measure you.

Hi everyone!

I have an appointment at RIDE to discuss and possibly get measured for custom boots while I’m East the week of the 14th.