Unlimited access >

Tack trunk and tote wish list

I own a woodworking company and am looking at offering custom trunks and totes. I wanted to know what if anything would be desirable in a custom designed trunk or tote?
Wood types? Finishes? Sizes? Storage options? Dimensions?

What is it about every other trunk/tote available that you wish was different?

A friend is looking for something more vertical than the typical tack trunk. That’s all I know…

I do custom tack trunks and other related items and there are a variety of things you can do, depending on where you want to be in a price range for the market you want to address. The requests I get go from the simplest open box with a sliding tray, to multiple drawer chests, to extra mobility reinforcement for a few folks who travel. Most common storage choice is one side open to full depth and the other with a storage compartment that a grooming tote can set on with the lid closed. Most folks opt for bandage storage in the lid. Typical trunk size would be 36"w x24"d x 27-32"h, depending on the lid design. I only do “furniture grade” work and use high quality hardware…it was a choice I made as I do this because I enjoy it, rather than for any kind of volume business. There are others in this area who provide more modest options.

Lorilu mentions a friend looking for more of a tack locker…I just got a similar request. They are not as common in the barns around here, but some folks prefer them, or need them due to security conditions where they keep their horses.

I am planning to build a vertical tack locker for my garage. Security is an issue–my saddle is worth more than my little trailer. :wink:

So anyway, what I want in my locker, and I think your clients would love, is a pull out or swing out saddle rack. I’ve been looking at cabinet hardware catalogues for heavy duty/industrial drawer sliders, or trying to come up with something I can rig together. It’s not worth an extra $200 to me, but maybe $75.

As far as finishes go, I’m just going to use plywood/veneer. If I were you, I would have a couple levels of finishes–one for the utilitarian like myself, and one for the fancy barn level.

With a locker (vs. my tack box) ventilation will be important to me, but also keeping dust off (we use saws in the garage sometimes). Rather conflicting goals, I know.

TrotTrotPumpkin, my dad made me a nice locker and we used a nice brass plated heater grille for the ventilation, like this one. They had a lot of them at Home Depot to look at. Adds a nice touch, and cheap :yes:

TTP, I buy the majority of my hardware from Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/

What about a modular system that would break down equipment specific boxes for easy transport but then lock together like a Tack Locker?

Integrated wheels that work off a cam lift system when you pull a handle the wheels drop and lift the trunk to allow rolling?

I too have made some custom trunks for high end clientele, but they are few and far between , I would like to address specific storage needs and then offer levels of pricing to appeal to a wider audience.

btw Lee Valley makes great hardware.

Adding too much “complication” brings risk of things not lasting too well. Modular is interesting, but can you make it sturdy without making the weight out of bounds? You might want to socialize that idea with a bunch of horsie folks using Sketchup renderings to see what the reaction might be. And can you make it affordable if it’s not for the higher-end crowd? The more flexibility you build, the bigger your labor cost.

Integrated casters would be nice if you can make them reliable, especially with a boat-load of heavy gear in the trunk! I’ve pretty much standardized on 3" polyurethane tire casters; two fixed and two swiveling with double locking action.

And yea, not only does Lee Valley carry nice stuff, they are about the best in the business to do business with. Outstanding people and Rob runs a ship that’s 100% focused on the customer.

To make it affordable normally equals plywood. Using 1/2" thick baltic birch would be feasible with a decent finish on it and the individual units could lock together with cam latches.

Does anyone know how to post files or pictures on this forum?

I build my trunk structure (the box) out of 1/2" cabinet grade veneer plywood (glue and trim head screws with butt joints) with 1/4" solid stock to trim out, either in the same species or a contrasting species. Units that require mobility have extra reinforcement. This results in a traditional frame and panel look that’s strong, but not as heavy as it would be if one used 3/4" material but with the look of a 3/4" thick box. BB is great stuff structurally, but a lot of BB is rotary cut veneer which is kind of down-scale in appearance. I use it for trunk bottoms and interior compartmentalization, but not for the “show” pieces.

Unfortunately, to post photos at COTH, you must be a contributing member. At best, you can only supply links to photos otherwise.