Unlimited access >

Tacks colors for a flea bitten grey?

Hi all! I am trying to pick out a good color for my tack that will look good on my flea bitten mare. I have a chestnut colored leather saddle which I feel compliments her flea bites fairly well, but I struggle with finding a nice color for sports boots and other accessories. It is harder than matching just a plain grey horse because I have the flea bites to worry about that add a bit of chestnut color. I don’t show, I just like to match and have pretty tack when I ride. Anyone have some photos of their horses?

1 Like

With horse gear it helps to think about close up color matching and at a distance.

People will say: “the crystals on my browband match the piping on my saddle pad” but honestly no one will be able to tell from 10 feet away.

What does your mare look like from the bleachers? Probably white? That gives you a lot of options. If you have a chestnut saddle obviously that limits your color range just like a chestnut horse. Blues look very nice on white horses, as do dark reds.

2 Likes

I think grays are the easiest-- almost everything looks good on them. It really comes down to what you like!

2 Likes

Grey’s are easy. Pretty much everything looks good! Black, burgundy, hunter green come to mind to me.

1 Like

I agree that almost any color looks good on a grey. And since yours is a mare, you also have the whole range of the pinks to choose from if you want. With the chestnut saddle and freckles a pretty blue might look nice.

1 Like

Almost everything looks good on a grey, ignore the flea bites and put him in anything but brown bases.
I love red and ironically grey, on a grey.

2 Likes

I think an aqua/teal color would look great, but as others have said, most colors will look nice!

I love royal blue on a grey.

Blue, Burgundy and Teal but I also have a Navaho pattern pad that has browns with contrasting Black and White.

I have had three greys in my life - one was fleabitten. . . they look good in everything except yellow.