Tailbone-area pain while riding?

Several months ago, I noticed that my tailbone was really starting to hurt, not while riding but afterwards and continuing for a couple days after my ride. I am a re-rider who took about seven years off and just started again last August. I never had this problem before. Though I started riding again in August, I started noticing this pain and soreness probably in early March. At that time, I was riding in an older, too-small-for-me saddle and was already thinking about buying a new saddle that fit me and the horse better. I thought that might help. I bought a new saddle and the tailbone-area pain persisted.

Since then, I’ve come to the conclusion that it isn’t my actual tailbone itself that hurts, but it seems to be the muscles/tendons/ligaments around it. I’ve noticed pain after horseback riding, but it tends to feel a bit worse after sessions with my personal trainer. During those, I am not doing anything involving sitting on my tailbone, but I do plenty of exercises that work those muscles around it. The pain comes and goes. If I haven’t ridden or exercised in a few days, I don’t feel any pain at all. My trainer knows that I ride but he’s not an equestrian himself, so he has some educated guesses on what the problem could be but isn’t completely sure.

I was working out by myself last night and noticed a particular exercise that I used to always do gave me some discomfort. Most exercises don’t actually give me any grief during them, but I notice the pain afterwards, almost like a muscle soreness. This exercise involved a side plank and then lifting and moving my top leg to the front and then moving it in an arc to the back, and then back to front. I am not sure if that makes sense. I tried to find an example online but didn’t have much luck.

When I told my trainer, he seemed to think that it made sense that if my tailbone area is sensitive/hurting, that exercise might cause some trouble. However, he seems to think that horseback riding is what’s causing this issue. I’ve been working with this trainer for several years and have been doing a lot of the same exercises, including this one, for years. Never before have I had these issues until March of this year. His reasoning is the timing of the problem but also his understanding of squeezing with my legs and how that might affect the muscles near my tailbone.

This might be unrelated but could be related, so I’m mentioning it–I’ve noticed that my lower back gets really, really tight while I’m riding. I might be over-arching my lower back or letting my lower back get way too tight.

FWIW - I ride in a close contact saddle. I don’t jump anymore, only flat. Since I started riding again, I’ve fallen off once (knock on wood). It was last August and I did not land on my tailbone.

Has anyone else had these issues or have any insight to share?

When I started re-riding about 2.5 years ago, taking weekly lessons and using school tack, I experienced a lot of tail bone pain. I didn’t immediately correlate it to riding, but it got to the point where I couldn’t sit for long periods of time and would get shooting pain standing up after sitting. I even bought donut cushions and a BOT back brace to try and ease the pain (fyi I was in my late 20s). It wasn’t until I bought my own horse and my own saddle that the pain went away and I realized that all the pain was from the school saddle I had been using. Though I know you said you bought a new saddle and it’s not helping. What saddle did you buy? How hard is the seat? How well does it fit you? I got a Prestige Roma Jump and the saddle seat is very cushiony and comfortable and I love it.
Now I will still sometimes experience lower back pain, tho I think it’s because I do sometimes tend to over arch and not fully engage my core.

I would also suggest maybe talking to your doctor and getting looked at to make sure everything is physically alright.

This may sound weird, but sacroiliac issues can cause tailbone pain. You might want to try riding in a sacroiliac belt.

1 Like

Don’t know if this is useful for you, as I was not riding at the time, but I was having trouble sitting (in the car, at a desk, movie, etc) for longer than 10 minutes. Someone convinced me to see their chiropractor, and it turned out that my tailbone was out of alignment. After that got fixed, sitting (and random foot pain) was not an issue.

1 Like

I don’t have time to type my entire saga. My tailbone pain started gradually. Riding was uncomfortable but if I was careful and didn’t try to ride back to back days I did OK. In 2011, the pain ramped up and I had a full work-up followed by caudal epidural steroids and coccygeal nerve blocks and no relief. Docs found zippo. OK, live with it and I did until 2016 then all of a sudden, I flat couldn’t sit on my horse any more (let alone sit in a chair or lay on my back in bed). Very depressing so I started another big workup and this time…BINGO. I had some sitting x-rays and was referred to a chiropractor who bless his bald head took 5 minutes and actually compared all the different imaging I had had over the years. I had a big spike on my tailbone at the very end…pointing out like a tail.
In my reading I found it was probably congenital. I had survived with it over the years because a lot of the time I was fat:p but as I got older…I lost some weight and the flexible joints in the TB fused and the spike no longer was able to move to provide some relief. I had the tailbone removed a little over a year ago. It is still tender back there. I am back to riding at a walk. The butt doesn’t tolerate much trot (even posting) or canter but I am pretty pain free at the walk and confident I can get there. It isn’t uncommon for healing to take up to 2 years.

Acavallo does make a sweet seat saver that has a coccyx cutout. I give it 2 thumbs up. It is quite comfortable and I am up to over 30 minutes in the saddle where before I started using the seat saver I was lucky to eek out 10 miuntes before I called uncle. How much riding I will ultimately get back to remains to be seen. But heck, at this point, chugging around at a walk feels pretty darn good.

Tailbone issues can be from muscle, dislocations or bony issues. They are difficult to diagnose and if removal is necessary it is very hard to find a surgeon that does many. It is quite a rare surgery and no guarantee it will solve the problem. Having mine removed has definitely helped but I still live with my coccyx cutout cushions if I have to sit for any significant amount of time.

Susan

Isn’t this forum amazing? The amount of learning from others always astonishes me. thanks for your post

1 Like