Unlimited access >

Taking lessons from two different instructors at same time?

Hello there!

I’m looking for some advice as I enter the world of h/j. I’m a relative newbie to horses; I took pleasure-type lessons for 4 years, and then I switched to a dressage instructor for the past 2 years. I’ve enjoyed the dressage instruction and have learned a LOT; my instructor teaches from a classical approach and is very picky about doing things the right (not fast) way.

Ultimately, though, when I started dressage lessons, it was with the intention of learning to jump. I figured I would learn how to ride well on the flat, and then move into jumping. My instructor has jumped and taught students to jump (hunters and jumpers), but it’s not her area of expertise. Also, our barn has a few horses that are trained to various levels in dressage, but no real training in jumping. My instructor has put a little bit of training on the pony I’m currently riding (I’m a petite adult), but her health prevents her from riding him enough over jumps to make him bombproof for a beginner over fences. We’ve worked on cross rails in two lessons, and the second schooling session ended with the pony majorly over jumping, which unseated me a bit. He then bucked on landing, which resulted in my flying over his head, landing on MY head with a concussion. Fun trip to the ER… ugh. My worry is that this barn doesn’t have the school ponies/horses to safely teach me the basics!

There is a h/j/eventing barn down the street that is run by a competent rider/trainer/instructor. I’ve taken one lesson with her, and I think she (and her school horses) could take me more safely into the h/j world.

Should I take dressage lessons from my current instructor but take up lessons with the other trainer for jumping? My only concern is that the jumper trainer’s style of riding is a bit different, and I’m not sure how well the two styles will mesh together as I’m learning. For instance, the jumper seems to be a bit “handsy” with her horses (and the way she teaches her students). Also, she doesn’t worry nearly as much as my dressage instructor about hip placement/angle/relaxation. Will my seat develop properly with 2 different types of instruction?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide!

It’s actually quite normal for jumper riders to also take dressage lessons. Provided the two instructors share a similar philosophy I’d say go for it.

I think it would be confusing at this stage of your riding to take lessons in two different styles of riding. My advice is go with the one you are the most interested in and learn the basics, whether it’s dressage or hunt seat. And as you found out, you need to learn to jump on a horse that is more tolerant of beginners.

It’s supposed to be fun. You sound really interested in learning to jump and it doesn’t sound like you can do that at your current place. Go take some h/j lessons elsewhere. Does it have to be with the person down the street? I wouldn’t think so. “Handsy” doesn’t sound good in any discipline, but I’m not sure exactly what you mean by that. You’ll usually pick some useful things up from most decent teachers…that’s worthwhile IMO. If you go try these lessons, it doesn’t mean your committed for life either. Go try it and see what develops. Have fun!

[QUOTE=Lilykoi;8262361]
I think it would be confusing at this stage of your riding to take lessons in two different styles of riding. My advice is go with the one you are the most interested in and learn the basics, whether it’s dressage or hunt seat. And as you found out, you need to learn to jump on a horse that is more tolerant of beginners.[/QUOTE]

This. I think you are only going to get confused because each trainer is going to want you to ride a little differently. If you are really wanting to jump I would find a good h/j trainer to work with. You can always take dressage lessons down the road, and the good thing is that you and your pony now have a nice dressage foundation, which can only help you down the road :slight_smile:

Have you asked your dressage instructor for recommendations on a good jumper trainer? The horse community is small, and I’d be surprised if she doesn’t have a colleague with a similar riding philosophy whose program would mesh with hers. It’s completely reasonable to want to learn to jump on a dead-safe beginner horse. It’s much easier to learn to jump correctly on a schoolmaster than to learn defensive habits on a more green horse & spend years trying to correct that.

I do this and so far it’s working for me. I ride at a dressage barn (strict no-jumping rule at this barn, so I couldn’t even jump there if I wanted to) 1-2 times per week, and a hunter/jumper barn 2-3 times per week.

I like having both disciplines in my wheelhouse…I feel they complement one another, and I enjoy both so much that it would be impossible for me to choose one or the other. If you are able to adapt your body and mind to the different styles of riding, then I say go for it.

That being said, my background is a bit different from yours. I grew up riding hunter/jumper, took a decade-long break, then started back at an h/j barn 2 years ago. After a bad fall I switched to dressage only for a while, then added jumping back into my repertoire once I got my confidence and strength back. In hindsight, I wish I had learned dressage first…so in that respect, I think it was smart of you to take dressage lessons before you endeavored to jump.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Why don’t you find a better H/J barn with a trainer who knows enough dressage to complement what you have learned from your dressage trainer? Maybe even well enough to continue to develop your basic skills in that area.

Even though you are a relative novice, long ago learned if something doesn’t look right even if you are not an expert? It’s generally not right. The “handsy” observation bothers me, especially from somebody who has been riding on more contact then generally used on Hunters, especially at the Novice level. Add to that the fact hip angle is the core of a good jumping position and this person ignores it along with other things that should be mastered for a secure seat?

Trust your gut on this, it’s not right. Agree you should ask your current trainer for recommendations. She won’t be upset at all, it’s a business relationship and you have goals she is not able to meet or provide a school horse for.

It can be confusing to try to master two seats from two different instructors…heck sometime two teachers in the same seat have different styles and theories. I know its hard but you have likely outgrown this trainer as far as your goals go, it’s OK to go elsewhere. Stay friendly, of course, but non owner/leasor students move all the time as they improve or change focus and it’s way easier then pulling a horse out or ending a lease early.

Let trainer help you find another. If she doesn’t know anybody, post general location on COTH fir recommendations of good H/J trainers with good dressage background in your area.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful and helpful advice! There aren’t many h/j trainers in my area, but I’ll ask my dressage trainer for her opinion. I feel bad leaving her, as she’s WONDERFUL at what she does, but I don’t want to get hurt any more than I have to. :wink: It seems that finding a place with safe school ponies is my best bet.

Something to keep in mind; if you are learning good things from your one instructor but you want to learn more yet go to the second one as well. I actually have 3 people training me and it’s a great experience! Sometimes if I’m having trouble with something one of the other 2 will teach me a different way or in a different way and I get it. Plus it’s great reinforcement for me. If you can afford it use more than one.

I wouldn’t close the door on your dressgae trainer if you really enjoy riding with her, but I would take a set time off from dressage to focus solely on learning to jump. As others said, it can be difficult to transition back and forth between the two seats. Once you have a solid two point, lower leg over fences, and are comfortable at your goal jumping height, I think you would be okay to start adding in a dressage lesson. But let yourself get really comfortable first before you switch it up