Unlimited access >

Taking Saddle Home from College

I’m heading home to San Diego, from Lexington and am trying to figure out how to get my saddle home. I plan on taking it on as a carryon if I fly out of Louisville on Southwest. However, I may go home earlier and fly out of Lexington’s airport. My concern with the lexington airport is that its planes are smaller and my saddle may not fit. I am small so my saddle is only a 16.5 with short flaps. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank You in advance :slight_smile:

You should be able to find out what plane you’re on and the carry on specifications. A saddle fits no problem on a Southwest 737 (three seats on each side with no middle section). Take the stirrups off and check them and then just carry it on like you would anything else.

If it’s a smaller plane you run the risk of it having to be gate checked, which you definitely do not want. You could always pack the saddle well and check or ship it.

I’ve never had to check anything for size on those Embrauer type things. Well, I take that back, we’ve run out of room tons of times, but it’s simple to gate check and then get it back on the jetbridge at the connector, or at LEX when I arrive. I’d take off the stirrups as suggested, and roll up the flaps underneath it, then buy a couple rolls of bubble wrap and mummify it, around and around and then end to end. Name inside up against the saddle well stuck on, and on the outside.
I would NOT ship it unless you spent the hundred dollars or more for the overnight services. This is Christmas and they are going to drop things on it and possibly send it to Timbuctoo first after dropping something heavy on it.

I would test how tightly you can roll your flaps, and odds are it will fit rolled up. You can probably check with the airline or on their website for carry-on size for those planes, and compare the measurements. Also, with something that you don’t want to check for obvious reasons, the flight attendants can often find space in one of the closets, so don’t be afraid to ask them for help finding a spot that works!

Roll the flaps, use a belt to keep the saddle small, and it’ll fit on pretty much any plane. Toss it in a soft bag and it’ll be easy to carry. No problem!