Unlimited access >

Taking the plunge on buying a second! UPDATE #3: best decision ever!

Long story short, I’ve effectively had to retire my 20yr old mare due to neuro/spinal issues (for anyone who was following that, she’s doing really well, her feet are in great nick and she’s happy for a plod around on occasion).

I’ve sworn up and down for years that I wouldn’t get a second, mainly due to the time commitment. My retiree was so easy to handle and didn’t need to be in constant work to stay sane, but that was the product of years and years of work, so of course a new horse…will need that work to get to the same point!

However…a friend sent me a link to a super cute little TB filly, 3yo with a very kind eye. Apparently very good to handle but unbroken. She is pretty cheap due to drought, so initial outlay is of no financial consequence. I have free board at my dad’s property, which usually has excellent feed (said drought would mean needing to feed more atm) and currently just has the retiree pony who is fat and runs off nothing. I live 15mins away and traffic is never an issue.

Am I insane to be considering this? My friend has extensive experience breaking in young and difficult horses and has said she is willing to help out on that front. The retiree was barely broken when I got her, and was very difficult for some time so I do have some experience with very green horses. Bear in mind that here down under we tend to be much less reliant on trainers for every step of the way, programs aren’t a thing etc. I’m in my mid twenties, fit and healthy with a flexible job that should give me the time I need.

1 Like

I’m an enabler here.

You are still young enough to bounce if you fall off and athletic enough to handle a few difficult moments.

Enjoy life while you can.

4 Likes

Honestly if you can’t justify a second horse, with free board 15 min away, how could any of us!?!? :wink:

I also say go for it!

8 Likes

I think you are going to be sadly disappointed if you thought we would be the people who say ‘no, don’t buy a cute horse’.

21 Likes

It sounds like you would have friend do most of the work getting the filly under saddle? Or guiding you? If that’s the case, I say as long as you trust your friend and her training methods, go for it!

2 Likes

The “good” thing about a very cheap 3 year old is that if things don’t work out, you should be able to rehome her fairly easily. You could possibly rehome her at a profit if you are able to put some training into her affordably… though with horses, they tend to laugh in the face of the prospect of earning you a profit. :rofl:

Retirees, OTOH, just spend your money.

I spent most of my twenties horse poor with too many horses. I don’t regret it. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

One can never be sure on COTH if you will get the “go for it” or “yes you’re insane” responses!

I absolutely trust my friends training, she’s brought up multiple horses from scrarch beautifully. I’ve been lucky enough to ride one a few times since my girl retired and he’s an absolute gem. I’d love to do as much of the work myself as I can, but with guidance for sure. I didn’t break my mare in but teenage me essentially did all her training and although she turned out alright in the end (luck and a nice nature I think) it’s given me a pretty good idea of the things I’d like to do differently and things to avoid haha.

This filly is only $500 so yes very cheap and I am sure worst case I could rehome if needed. She will need a good few months of just feeding and growing first, which should nicely facilitate just getting to know each other and ground work. I’m hoping my retiree may be useful in that she is a very sensible citizen who is unfazed by pretty much anything, so a good guide for the baby.

Anyway, we have arranged to go see the filly on Sunday afternoon, float in tow so if I like her we can bring her home straight away.

11 Likes

I am going to enable as well. I am a lot older than you and I got a youngster last Feb because my current mare is 16 and replacement is somewhere in her future. He will be started this Spring.

I will do all his training (as I always have) unless my old body tells me otherwise and I will have him backed first by someone my vet or farrier recommend if the need arises but I hope not. It would be a first for me.

Enabling here. It sounds like you can keep her affordable with your set up so…take the plunge, and post pictures!

Sounds like a good idea to me! Do a vet exam on the baby to make sure you aren’t buying any pre-existing problems. And it never hurts to have a back-up plan in case the free board arrangement disappears.

Please can we (or at least, I) follow your journey? Would love to know how you go with ‘baby’ - pics and updates please!

4 Likes

Haha I am sure if I end up buying her I will have plenty more posts about her! I’m definitely lucky to have free board, barring a sudden major health issue/accident (my dad is 53 and in excellent health) I don’t believe he has any intention of downsizing for a long time.

She’s currently just shy of 14hh at 3yo, which is perfect because I like the little ones, if she were to top out about 15hh that would be absolutely ideal. My biggest problem will be that aalllll my gear is pony sized for my very finely built 14.2 mare, I don’t think I even own a bigger halter :laughing:

3 Likes

Why the heck not?! I turned 43 last month and an amateur. I just cantered my 4 year old under saddle for the first time tonight. Got her as a 2 year old and only had help from a ground person the first 4 times on, and one check in with my instructor a couple weeks ago. It’s going slower than with a pro but I’m enjoying the process (mostly).

Just make sure you’re buying a good brain. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Go for it!

I got my 2.5 year old mare three years ago when I was 33. While it hasn’t been an easy journey - she’s 18.2 and she knows it - I have a great support team that have helped us get over the hump and we’re now at 2nd level, starting to school 3rd level work :slight_smile:

Sounds like you have an ideal situation so I hope you seal the deal.

2 Likes

Caution be damned! I’m thinking about buying a second, and my case isn’t nearly as strong as yours. I don’t have the disposable income, time, or connections. But, like, YOLO.

Welcome to Enabler’s Anonymous. Pull up a horse and stay a while.

3 Likes

She may not get much bigger then your current horse. Some TB’s can be smaller. How does her body build compare? You may be able to use all the stuff you have.

It’s a little hard to tell how her build is as she’s really at that ugly duckling stage and definitely on the skinny side…I’m hoping that for now the stuff I’ll need will be ok, I found a bigger halter and for down the track, longer girths etc and my bridles may have enough adjustability.

Saddle is the bigger concern because we all know how that can go :flushed: I’m hoping that as my mare (unknown breeding) was always built a little TB like, and I’ve had the saddle fit a couple of TBs, that I maaayyyyy get lucky on that front. And in any case we won’t need to worry about that for a good few months yet.

Tomorrow is the day…stay tuned and if all goes well, I will return with photos!

4 Likes

So…I bought her whoops! She was super sweet, definitely a baby who doesn’t know much but with a very nice nature that I hope will be easy to work with! She hasn’t come home yet, I don’t have a trailer so still organising pickup, hay etc (fat retiree has never needed feeding so I have none).

Only got one quick photo, however I am sure there will be more to come (not me in the background!)

14 Likes

You picked well, she does has a calm, kind face, good prospect that.

She looks like a sensitive soul who enjoys having fun.

Have great fun with her!