Unlimited access >

Taking time off?

I’m in the process of horse shopping and I’m just…not into it. I don’t want to drive hours and sit on strange horses in this cold, wet winter. I don’t want the hassle of coordinating multiple peoples’ schedules, taking time off work, being away from my family. I’m not excited to write a giant check. I’m not even excited to have a new horse, if I’m being honest.

I almost can’t say this out loud, but…maybe it’s time for some time off?

Can’t believe I’m feeling this way. I’ve loved horses so much and for so long. I don’t know who I am without them!

I know it’s common for people to take a break when they’re pregnant, or have young children, or have other financial priorities. But has anyone just taken time off because it’s not fun anymore? And if so, did you eventually go back?

2 Likes

I have felt like you do before. I ended an expensive, high-pressure lease and about six weeks later I felt better about life and bought an adorable project pony off Craigslist, with whom I had a blast for a year. I say take the pressure off yourself and see what happens. This time of year the weather is gross and it’s easy to feel a bit depressed. If you start feeling the itch again, you can resume your search. There will always be more horses.

5 Likes

I could totally see myself doing that! Thanks for chiming in.

Why do you want another horse? Maybe sit down and have an honest chat with yourself over a cup of coffee. What do you enjoy? Do you willing pay out $$$$ every month or does some small part feel conflicted or even resentful? That can take away some pleasure in riding. How do horses affect your family or social relations, particularly important during the current pestilence? Are you being pulled around by other important responsibilities such as family? Or do you enjoy horses as part of your family and lifestyle? What other activities and hobbies would you like to do, if you had the time? Do you actually have fun with horses or is it just a lot of hard work for limited reward? Do you enjoy the social life around horses? Friends are wonderful and horse friends are often the best sort. What other opportunities might be available to branch out and try new disciplines? Does your heart lift when you see a horse? There are a lot of things to think about.

Your horsemanship will not vanish like snow, your riding skills can be picked up again at any time - yes, possibly at a different level, but still there. I’ve had many breaks over the years for work, for ill health, for lack of money, lack of opportunity, but I’ve always returned to riding, always continued to learn and to have fun. My idea of what is fun has, however, changed with the years. It used to be a snorting 16.3 TB but now it is a friendly 14.2 Highland.

I’m well out of the American horse culture, safe on my horsey little island on the Atlantic coast of Europe but, from years of reading COTH, to me it seems too many people are on a habitual treadmill of riding=showing=winning. If you ride you show, if you aren’t winning, then work harder, show more, buy a more expensive horse, work harder, show more. Unless you make a living from horses, riding and owning a horse is about relaxation, recreation, fulfillment, FUN, otherwise it is pretty pointless.

7 Likes

People take time off from hobbies for all sorts of reasons. I wouldn’t want to go try horses in this weather either.

I would keep looking online or wherever people look today for fun and maybe you will find a nice horse when the weather is better close to home .

2 Likes

At many hunter/jumper barns (mine included), there is definitely an expectation to show. It’s almost unimaginable to my barn mates that I might not want to. Gasp!

1 Like

I used to pretty much take every winter off because riding in the cold is more of a chore than a pleasure. (Or, riding is still a pleasure, but all the tacking/grooming/puttering that is half the fun in warm weather is misery when it’s 25 degrees out.)

Now I’m looking at a very speedy cross-country move due to SO’s job. I have dutifully made a big list of potential H/J barns and begun calling them and I’m just … not excited about it. I just switched barns here on the East Coast, the idea of trying a bunch of trainers out is exhausting, I’m going to be putting a lot of $ into the move, so I’m just putting a pin in it. I have plenty of other stuff going on and the right situation will reveal itself.

Just think of all the money you’ll save!

1 Like

Oh gosh, that sounds like a LOT. Where are you moving to?

And regarding the saved money…I’m already making a list of things I can buy with it. New tack trunk, new tall boots, equicore bands…

If you’re feeling like that now, I think it’s a fine time to take a break.

After a while, you will either feel the urge to get back to it or you might discover that you’re ok with a longer break. You might even find something else you enjoy as much or more. Or you might just get to have more time and money to yourself for a little while.

I think maybe once the weather gets nicer you may feel differently. Sometimes I have considered taking winters off. Winter just by itself is depressing and demotivating, and it makes everything more difficult.

Yes, I did.

I reached a point where I could not continue riding with my old instructor, but could not ride with anyone else (everyone else worth riding with in my area was too far away). My job was taking more and more time, and it was a perfect little storm of events that led me to walk away from horses. Or at least, from riding. That was 11 years ago, and I don’t miss it.

I still have three horses, down from 8 (the other five have been PTS, due to various issues, over the last 10 years). There are moments where I kind of miss riding - but I hated showing. I hated the drama. I resented the time it took away from other things that were important to me, too. I loved it, but again, I really don’t miss it. I could just hack out here at the farm, but I don’t.

I fill the time with other things - I started an online business, and took a full-time job, and I enjoy being at home more, instead of on the road to lessons or shows, or to school someone else’s horse, every single weekend and maybe once or twice during the week, too.

You might be different. You might find that when spring arrives, you want to go horse shopping again, or when shows open back up, that the bug hits you to start showing again. But if it doesn’t, it really will be okay.

4 Likes

Going in fits & spurts here. I need to do at least something with it: Part of my work relates to riding, for one. And I find having my own thing has helped keep my BS meter tuned for the sake of my daughter’s equestrian endeavors. Several times I’ve steered her clear of an unsafe situation or avoided a huge financial sink on the basis of knowing enough myself to reject the advice of a pro involved and/or to get a second opinion.

I’ve dealt with a serious chronic illness & no longer ride in the winter. As a single parent, $$ is a constant balancing act. When I spent what I needed to have the correct horse for myself, it strained the budget to where I couldn’t have afforded what she wanted to do. And she is in a rough spot emotionally without horses. So, I don’t really ride atm. I’ve also dealt with extreme, generalized anxiety re riding in the past 5 years or so. The time off has given me the opportunity to explore where it is really coming from & how to solve it.

Some days I still daydream about riding GP dressage freestyles or maybe even jumping higher than 12" again. Other days I just want to indulge my hippie crunchy granola reiki side & bring along untouched mustangs from the BLM or something.

2 Likes

My BO is in the process of trying to find a new horse (her lovely Lusitano boy is getting older and she knows he needs to retire). She’s kind of in the same boat as it’s hard to find exactly what she wants, the weather is gross, and it’s just a hard time to be motivated.

Apparently it’s a long process, finding a horse. I wouldn’t know. I’ve never gone out and shopped for one. I haven’t been horseless since I was 14 years old (almost 33 years now), and I didn’t go looking for any of the horses I’ve owned over that time. They found me. From the horse the lived in my mom’s co-worker’s backyard (wound up being my first horse and my dressage/eventing partner) to the big AQHA gelding that came through the show barn where I boarded and was for sale…I traded my first horse for him…to the love-of-my-life horse that I watched being born and knew I had to have…to the horse I have now, who I felt sorry for as a yearling and picked up ultra cheap just to give him a better shot at life. And there have been many others in between that came and went, but they were never planned.

So, maybe don’t think if it so much as “taking a break” from horses as you’re just waiting for your next horse to show up? Maybe keep riding and taking lessons and hanging out in horsey places where you’re likely to stumble across your next horse? Or at least keep networking, let people know you’re casually looking but not in a rush, and they’ll contact you if/when there is something they think might be a good fit?

It’s a big commitment and investment. You shouldn’t feel pressured into it at all. And if you never really feel the urge to look at or try out a new horse, and the riding urge starts to dwindle too…hey, that’s perfectly okay! I know people who started riding as kids and rode well into adulthood who now don’t have a horse or ride at all. They do other things and are perfectly happy. And both of them were really, really into horses. They ran boarding and training operations, showed, taught lessons, all of that. And now they don’t do any of it.

Don’t stress. If you’re meant to get another horse and continue riding, you will. If you’re not, that’s totally cool!

4 Likes

That’s a wonderful way to reframe it! My personal spiritual beliefs are, to be frank, a little out there by Western mainstream standards. I believe we’re connected; to each other & to the natural world. And so what I told my daughter when she was devastated by the sudden departure of her previous lease pony: This is difficult & my heart is breaking for you as your mama. This is also a door starting to open, even though the why & when isn’t 100% clear yet. Maybe there’s a horse out there about to need you more than this one. Maybe little dude will come back in the future needing you. But you with a certain skill you haven’t developed yet & another horse(s) is coming in the interium to learn that skill with.

OP, it might be a brief break, or it might be years. And you might suddenly find yourself opening Big Eq or Dream Horse, etc. Or standing in front of the bulletin board in the tack store; not knowing why you felt compelled to walk in there in the first place. Or see something on FB or Craigslist & something inside clicks & you say to yourself, “I need to go get that horse out of that situation. BRB.”

It might also be that you are meant to have a different kind of connection – volunteering with a rescue, helping out someone who is in way over their head with their horse etc. Good luck!

Eta: I know a tall (6’) willowy trainer who surprised her husband returning home from a horse buying excursion with a sub 11hh semi-feral Shetland instead of whatever she’d actually gone to see. She apparently didn’t like that horse but happened to see the Shetland in an unsafe dry lot as she was getting ready to go. She asked the dealer about him & was told, “If you can get that thing on a trailer, it’s yours.” She lowered the ramp & the little dude ran onto the trailer by himself. I think she said she gave the dealer a couple $100 because her spidey senses told her he might have give away regret & try to claim she stole the pony. She obviously didn’t ride him but he trained up great with her experienced pony jockeys. At one point she was short on kids to ride him & the vet said he needed more exercise. A friend who was training for a marathon took him out as a running buddy :joy: Long story short, you never know what you’re meant to find.

5 Likes

OP, you might also want to explore some other options when you come back. At my barn, only the trainer and I show. The rest are ammies just having fun with dressage, no pressure. Or try a different discipline! It’s supposed to be fun!

1 Like

I’ve taken lots of breaks from “serious riding”, but have kept at least one horse.

The urge to better my riding and the horse’s training comes back after a while. My horses appear unperturbed by extended periods of pet horse status.

3 Likes

It’s funny you tell this story. Here’s what just happened to me…

In the midst of shopping for a future fancy hunter, my dear old friend messages me from East Bumblebutt, IN. She says she bought this little TB for a few hundred dollars out of a muddy field because he was sweet. Now he’s going under saddle, being very safe and cute indeed. And do I know of anyone looking?

Hmm.

I’m sure my trainer will be THRILLED, right?

Ahem. I also personally know someone who competed at Rolex (back before it was Land Rover) on a funky little OTTB she’d picked up a few years prior for $1000. No one else had wanted him. And while I’m not personally acquainted with her, a neighbor down the road shortlisted for the Olympics once on a 14.2hh pony…

Things can happen :wink:

2 Likes