Unlimited access >

Tale as Old as Time: Shared Fenceline and Roaming Dogs

I’m looking for reassurance and suggestions to navigate maintaining boundaries and civil relationships.

My fenceline is set on the property line behind two duplexes. Renter A allows her dog to roam far and wide daily. It’s been on NextDoor, it’s been walked back home by multiple neighbors. I have walked it home and texted owner that I just returned your dog, please keep her on your property so no one gets hurt. The dog chases cars, and I have sheep and poultry.

Renter B moved in with a dog. Dog A and Dog B are allowed to run loose together to play. When those dogs see me walking my dogs, they run the fence barking and growling. They follow me down my fence lines so they are way off their properties, way out of sight of their homes.

Recently, Dog B ran head-first into my fence and bounced off it while charging my dog. A few days later, he ran down the fence, around the corner, and bit onto my fence yanking on it trying to get at my dog. Scary! I asked the landlord for Renter B’s number. Told Renter B what happened, told her it scared me, and please keep your dog on your property.

Renter B said she doesn’t believe me, her dog would never do that, she inspected my fence and found no damage to my fence or her dog.

This morning, Renter A’s dog ran the length of my fence, rounded the corner, and came down my driveway into my front yard as I stood there with a delivery truck. I texted Renter A a photo and told her dog is in my parking area in my front yard. Please keep your dog on your property.

She responded that she’s been down my driveway to my yard (probably chasing her dog :laughing:); it’s fully fenced, so, “Honey, my dog isn’t on your property. Dog is outside of the fence, outside your property.” :exploding_head: I couldn’t believe she was arguing with me! She doesn’t know I had my gate open for a delivery. I don’t need to explain myself. It’s not my responsibility to fence her dog out. :rage:

I sent more photos. She kept arguing trying to tell me my own property’s layout :face_with_raised_eyebrow: and how her dog is outside of the fence and outside of my property. She’s arguing with me?! Renters think the fence delineates my property lines. That’s not true everywhere. And it doesn’t matter. The dogs aren’t on THEIR property. End of story.

After a photo even she couldn’t deny, Renter A sends an encyclopedia-length text about how I’m the only person who complains (neighbors complain to me but I guess I’m the only one willing to speak up), she’s eight months pregnant, Renter B’s dog is the least aggressive dog ever, her husband is going to build a fence but that takes time, etc etc…

I have dogs, sheep, and free-range poultry. There was a time when the poultry would beeline straight for Renter A’s backyard. I corrected that many, many months ago.

My motivation is to 1) inform owners of something I believed they were unaware of, and 2) prevent a bigger problem of my animals or fence being damaged.

Right now, I’m feeling awful. Snakes twisting in my stomach. I have great relationships with most neighbors. I had fine relationships with these two before I told them their dogs are running loose and need to be kept on their property. Now it seems I have started a neighbor war.

How do I navigate this so I maintain my boundaries and maintain civil relationships? Walk over with fudge and a Christmas card? Or leave them alone because 1) emotions are too high and 2) their reactions are so big because they know they are wrong?

2 Likes

Both dogs (or one if both can’t be caught) need to be rounded up and taken to the pound. I mean the shelter. Dog jail. It will cost the owners to get them out, that may make an impression. Plus they may get a small shock when they get home from work and no Pookie.

Call your city animal control and get their advice. Hopefully they will come get the dogs, but they have to do it while they are on your property and/or attacking your fence. If the dogs easily spook off home, you’ll have to work with AC to make it possible for them to be there at the critical moment. And help them be positioned to witness the behavior, as well as collect the dogs.

Video, video, video. Document, document, document. Dates & times & behaviors. The outcome of this depends on that. Otherwise it is just who said what, and you won’t get much help as authorities don’t like being between bickering neighbors.

Since these dog owners are irresponsible and uncooperative, you will have to play hardball. How hard depends on how important it is to eliminate this canine behavior. There may be a cost, but you may get results if you do this within the system, relentlessly.

I wonder why they think you are calling them if they don’t think there is a problem, do they think that you are a disturbed liar?

Whatever, know that they will deny to authorities what you are claiming. You must have the video and documentation, and you need to be strategic and methodical about getting it.

Good luck. Likely you can get action on this if you approach it through the system.

32 Likes

What type of fencing do you have, and can it be electrified? My neighbor’s (large) dog came to my pasture a few times. My horses don’t care about dogs, but I really don’t want dogs in my pasture. Neighbors dog touched the hot fence ONCE, and now won’t come anywhere near my property. Luckily for me it was an easy fix.

12 Likes

Right now you are caught between wanting to back.down and nicey nice because you are conflict averse and want to think of yourself as a nice person, and hoping the problem goes away by magic if you are nice.

It won’t go away and you won’t be able to cosy up to the neighbors again with some hypocritical fudge :). The advice to go whole hog forward with AC is the only way out.

You can’t be nicey nice with people who are irresponsible and defensive and have learned how to deny and deflect as a survival mechanism.

36 Likes

This all day long.

My neighbors dog used to visit my property all the time and not a big deal, big friendly lab except I have free roam goats, horses that try to stomp him to death, and my kids are outside often.

Every time he came on my property I would put a leash on and march him to the neighbors. Finally I threaten to call animal control and they started being able to keep him inside.

Take pictures and call animal control every single time. Plus let the landlord know what is happening.

9 Likes

:rage:Only if you use the pie recipe from The Help.

IIWM, assuming you can approach these dogs, I’d buy a bottle of cheap pancake syrup & douse them.
Doesn’t hurt them, but they’ll go home really nasty to clean up.

Many, many years ago I did this.
Lived in Chgo, on a block of mostly apartment buildings.
Someone let their GSD roam, he’d stand barking & on a hot Summer night, without AC & my windows open, it was impossible to sleep.
My 1st attempt to stop this was to leash him (with a belt, I didn’t have a dog) & walk him the couple blocks to the police station.
Where they told me if he wasn’t claimed he’d be PTS. Too bad, so sad…
Dog was back at it the next night :confounded:
Which is when I did what I suggested above.
Never saw that dog again.
I always hoped he’d rolled in something nastier than the syrup :smiling_imp:

If you can’t get close enough, then I’d follow the advice to involve AC and/or police.

11 Likes

I vote for the electric fence

We had a pack of wild dogs roaming our farm in Kentucky until I drove a steel stake into the ground then wrapped a hunk of meat to the steel stake with the eclectic fence wire. Plugged that 20 mile fence charger up then waited.

Around 10 PM there was this ungodly racket as the dogs ran off screaming for at least a mile, they never ever returned

10 Likes

Also agree a hot wire run low can be a great deterrent. That and document everything. These people don’t give a flying Fudgsicle about reality. Been there done that. You can’t talk sense into people that only espouse nonsense.

6 Likes

Who gives a crap if she’s pregnant or if he can’t build a fence that’s not your problem I would call their landlord and I’d call animal control every time their dog was off their property

25 Likes

And I understand having your belly tied in knots… Everyone wants to be a good neighbor… But they are not being good neighbors. So stop trying to make them. Or you’re going to end up with dead livestock especially with two of them packing up.

27 Likes

I did tell landlord and she said she would speak to them. My fence is woven wire with a hot wire on top. I put game cams on two fence lines the dogs most often frequent. I don’t have enough cameras to cover all the linear feet these dogs traverse.

I told landlord I’m gonna have to put a hot wire down low on the outside to keep these dogs off my fence. She asked me not to because it would interfere with mowing. She has a point. But it’s my fence. Juuuust inside the property line. What’s the law say about that?

Scratching these neighbors off the fudge list. I’m really trying to prevent a serious problem but you all are right: the owners won’t hear me.

I’m beyond furious I spent soooo much money on a fence and don’t feel safe or comfortable on my own property.

I’m making the rounds with fudge and cards this weekend. That will remind me I have some fantastic neighbors, too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I’d go just inside and light that sucker up, As much as I love my darling dog, I’d want her to know in no uncertain terms that sticking her nose through that fence is a big no-no. Your neighbours dogs need that reminder in a big way. Mine would only need that treatment once, she’s a sensitive sort. I yell at the cats, she vanishes, thinking she’s in trouble.

6 Likes

Landlord doesnt want you putting the hot wire on YOUR fence onYOUR land because it would interfere with HER mowing? If they are mowing up to your fenceline they are working on getting that sliver of land deeded to them. Florida is a “fence in” state - find out your state laws. I’ll bet it illegal to have unfenced dogs. Like others have said, call LE every time.

26 Likes

Shelters are all full and won’t take dogs anymore unfortunately. The unintended result of no-kill. It’s worth making the reports though to have a paper trail. And if the dogs are aggressive it’s worth getting a firearm because there are FAR too many large breed dogs out there with enough pitbull in them that they won’t just bite you or your dog they will maul you both.

The next time the dog comes over text the landlord, the neighbor and the neighbors husband a photo and tell them someone needs to come get it. If the dog so much as looks at your or your animals funny, add to the text that it’s being aggressive and you will call animal control if it’s not home in 10 minutes.

Most couples have one "pookie can do no wrong!’ and one person who knows the other one is irrational and most landlords don’t want that kind of hassle with their tenants.

2 Likes

This. My (now gone, yay!) citiot neighbors were thrilled to move to the country so BooBoo could “run free”. I warned them we have wolves and it didn’t matter to them. BooBoo was dropped off here a few times when people picked him up on the road (I run a kennel), and I took him home another time and put him in the barn, Finally just started picking him up and dropping him at the humane society, where they had to pay $200 to get him back each time. As I recall, that happened four times before they finally got a clue.

And yes, video for sure. Trail cams can work well too.

12 Likes

Call animal control. That’s what they are there for

4 Likes

A hot wire run 12" off the ground will not interfere with mowing, and I’m with @lorilu - this is still YOUR property. Landlord has zero, and I mean ZERO rights to tell you what you can do with it.

Familiarize yourself with your cellphone so that you can get it on video record mode quickly, and carry it with you on your walks from here on out. Document. Send to the neighbors. Send it to AC. Hopefully you can get the dogs picked up and taken to the pound. And the hotwire would probably stop the problem entirely.

19 Likes

well maybe its time to remove or raise the fence so that these dogs can enter the property then there will be a clear issue that has legal rights to remove the dogs

This is important.

Now, depending on the type of landlord, they might not care. But I would keep them informed every time you have a problem with their renter’s dogs.

You need to be prepared when you are outside to get a good video of the one dog attacking the fence aggressively.
I feel bad for these dogs. Stupid owners.

13 Likes

I have no doubt that the renter’s dog is pussycat if there’s no fenceline. My mutt dog is like that. World’s biggest WIMP, but if you put a fence or a window between her and whatever-it-is, she acts like a FOOL and I think would try something dumb if someone reached through the fence.

Which, just to commiserate, my lovely neighbor is trying to do almost every day. “The black dog seems aggressive”. Lady why are you trying to touch my dogs through the fence, which is set back off the property line 25+ feet? I have had to add BRICKS along the bottom of the fence because even with the Dig Defense along the entire perimeter, the dogs are so antagonized they are digging at the 4" gap at the posts.

Ignorant people will remain ignorant.