Unlimited access >

Talk me down from buying sight unseen

I admit that I’m on the rebound from having to retire my horse of a lifetime. He was supposed to be my last horse.

Locally there just aren’t many to choose from, so I’ve been looking on BigEq.

There’s one I can’t stop thinking about. I don’t have money to burn if I end up not getting along with him.

Anyone bought without trying first?

I’m crazy, right? He’s on the other coast.

I did, he was a tripper, which I would have known if I tried him. He ended up tripping and taking me down with him, the worst accident I’ve ever had riding.

8 Likes

I should tell you to walk away.

But my 2 experiences with buying sight unseen a horse that gives you a good feeling have gone extremely well. One was my OTTB who I fell in love with from a cute picture and a video where he was swarmed with flies. He was even more darling in person. No regrets.

My second experience was actually selling one to a woman who, same as you, saw his video on BigEq and fell in love with him. He was 10x more expensive than the TB, so a bit more of a gamble for her. What she ended up doing was paying to lease him for 3 months and had the option to buy at the end. He went out to Indiana and about a month later they called and said they didn’t need to wait 3 months, they wanted him. They loved him so much they ended up buying property and building a farm so they could take him home. That was about 7 years ago and as far as I know, they are all living happily ever after.

If you feel very strongly about this horse, do a thorough PPE and do it. As long as it is sane and sound, you should be able to sell it.

PS- the only horses I have really struggled with and ended up selling I knew the sellers and was able to try well in advance. He didn’t do well in the program I had available at that time.

2 Likes

There was a time when I have scoffed at the idea of buying a horse sight-unseen. I don’t anymore for two reasons:

1. I’ve bought two horses that I rode, not just once, but twice, on two different visits, did my due diligence, consulted unbiased parties, and ended up regretting, deeply, ever purchasing. So, trying one in person before you buy it is no guarantee that you’re going to be happy with the purchase.

2. I bought one sight-unseen. Now, granted, it was from someone my sister knew and trusted, but she hadn’t seen the horse, either. He was a gem and was exactly as advertised. I cried when I retired him due to a pasture accident from which he never fully regained soundness.

So, sorry, I can’t try to talk you out of it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Okay, I’m at least going to inquire. I’ve been holding back.

6 Likes

Well if you’re crazy…I guess I am too?! I just bought without trying first…he was in Alberta, Canada and I’m in southern CA. I couldn’t be happier with my new boy. There was nothing local that met my criteria that I thought was reasonably priced (or even remotely in my apparently limited budget). I had tons of video of him spanning the last 18 months (at home and away) and the seller was an acquaintance and very upfront about everything. Vet records were available and I spoke to two trainers that had worked with him (neither of whom were earning commission on the sale). I am fairly flexible about the kind of horse I can ride and I also was pretty confident that if we really didn’t get along, he was re-sellable. He is absolutely everything I thought/hoped he would be! He’s the most expensive horse I’ve ever purchased, so it was for sure a risk, but it paid off so far (I’ve had him 7 weeks and we went to our first event this weekend).

3 Likes

Do you know anyone that can sit on it for you? Or be present at the vetting on your behalf?

I think “sight unseen” is more common than many think…but I often try to get someone I know and trust to sit on them or go see them for me even if I can’t personally be there.

I heard back almost immediately. Sold. Funds pending.

Here he is.

https://www.bigeq.com/horse/listing/lukas-thoroughbred-hunter-32817/

1 Like

Sold to you???

What a great canter! And how encouraging that a TB can sell with a decently beefy price tag.

7 Likes

Sadly, no.

I know!!! So rhythmic it’s like he’s on cruise control.

I think parents will pay that for safety. Someone in the barn will always want a horse like that.

4 Likes

Wow $40K? Damn, one my mares is pretty similar to that guy! So nice to see TBs catching what they are worth now.

I know of a nice one here in Ontario for $15k. He is schooling Prelim eventing but more suited for hunter if you want info :winkgrin:

I’ve had a few sight unseen and they are all amazing horses I will never part with.

2 Likes

You have a good eye. This one is local to me. Nice horse.Trainer is honest and just a lovely person.

5 Likes

He is lovely!! It makes me so happy to see the TB’s getting the respect they deserve.

4 Likes

Do tell.

Bristol Bay. I am in no position to evaluate a horse for hunter anymore. I will say, however, I have known you on COTH for some time. Personally if you can enjoy the journey of the “grab bag” horse and the risk, then enjoy that journey for what it is. You are a horsewoman. You know your skills

If you simply cannot face the idea of spending money and getting a lemon, dont

there are no guarantees and even the best of horses can break your heart in 24 hours. If an on line shop is the only thing you can manage, that may be the way to go. In hind sight, look at the COTH group think on this one and someone validated your thoughts about this nice horse ( and the trainer agent).

1 Like

Dang, I would’ve had you try him for me!

1 Like

@Bristol Bay PMd you :slight_smile:

@Bristol Bay Perhaps approach that trainer and ask her to keep you in mind if she comes across any horses that fit your bill. Sounds like it’s a real sellers market out there these days, so would be nice if you can get one before it’s even listed.

3 Likes