Unlimited access >

Talk me down from buying sight unseen

@Justice Prices have changed drastically how? Up or down?

Prices are way higher than they were 5 years ago, both in Europe and the States. And I often see people willing to spend more on an import off a video than they will on one that’s been imported and they can try here. That I can’t figure out… but I guess buying the dream can be more fun than reality :wink:.

3 Likes

Another YES vote for buying sight unseen! I picked up a tremendously lovely 3yo a few months ago and couldn’t be happier. Never went to try him, he only had 30 days under saddle anyways, so riding him wouldn’t have made any shocking revelations.

I did talk to the owner, trainer, and had a comprehensive PPE with X-rays done on him for sure.

I think that you should take age and training into consideration. If you’re buying a baby with not many rides, then riding them yourself won’t reveal TOO much - they are going to change so much as they learn how to steer, move off the leg, come into the bit, etc. They all feel pretty gangly and all over the place before they know any of those things.

If the horse is older or is already under saddle for about a year, then I think you get a better feel for how they will eventually turn out so you can see if it’s “your” ride or not. That’s one reason why I felt not going to look at him wasn’t going to be a huge deal.

I would definitely purchase site unseen again if the price and circumstances were right!

I too am starting to look for a TB that fits that bill. I have been told that the market is hot right now.
I haven’t been looking outside of my region because I am not super confident about buying from afar. Maybe I should…

What are you looking for? We’re looking to buy/lease something for the kid this spring & it feels like I’ve spent half my waking hours on Big Eq, etc lately.

1 Like

Don’t do it. I bought off a video last summer. Wonderful horse, just what I wanted. Except for one thing. He was a horrible tripper. Tripped at the trot, and ended up causing me to have the worst riding accident I ever had one day when he tripped just cantering along. I had the vet check him and she could find nothing physically wrong with him. His feet were not long, he was only three weeks from his last shoeing. This is a thing I would have immediately rejected had I ridden him. I got a video, but of course they did not show the tripping. Vet check would not have caught it. Like any other weird idiosynchrosy, its something you need to ride to know. People will cheat you for sure. I will never ever buy a tripper. Every horse I’ve had that trips has ended up lame, and in this case, almost killing me.

2 Likes

I bought a horse sight unseen. She’s lovely and I love her but I don’t know if I had actually ridden her I would have said “Yes! This is the horse for me!” she’s anxious and sometimes spooky but we are growing into one another. On the other hand, I bought a horse after riding her many, many (many!) times and it was a disaster (young, green) so the moral of this story may be it’s just … LUCK!

2 Likes

This is one of my greatest fears. The worst wrecks I’ve ever heard of were when the horse tripped. Even at the walk, a horse tripped and rider had a concussion and fractured pelvis. This is why I retired my TB gelding—he was stumbling behind and subsequently flunked two neuro exams.

I’m so sorry this happened to you.

Luck, definitely. And perhaps the finality of it being a done deal? Similar to how people (in my observation, at least) are more apt to try to work through major issues with a spouse than they are a boyfriend or girlfriend.

I will say, it may somewhat depend on the individual temperment of the rider. For example, I grew up with parents who certainly made my horse habit a priority & encouraged it as best they could, but were realistic about not jeopardizing our college education & their retirement by attempting to bankroll the complete horse experience in our HCOL area. I didn’t own my first horse until I was 34. I just rode whatever was offered. I now see that one nice byproduct of that is that I don’t have strong feelings about the particulars of a horse. I don’t look for horses that go “X way” as opposed to Y, don’t mind if the horse is the in-your-pocket barn favorite or the Marlon Brando-esque one brooding in the corner. I’ll bow out in circumstances where I’m legit over-horsed. Otherwise, I’ll just figure out how to get along & enjoy.

Equally valid are the riders who are geniuses at riding horses who X or Y, with X & Y more often than not being complex traits that aren’t most people’s cup of tea. They’re the heaven sent soft landing for horses that frustrate others. Their niche may be narrower, but they are absolute :fire: like no other with the horses that fall into that niche. Riders of the first type will likely be more sucess buying sight unseen than riders of the second type.

2 Likes

I resurrected this thread because all these months later, I still do not have a horse, and am more than ever considering buying sight unseen.

Equisales had one called Banderas that sold in an instant. :heart_eyes: I don’t need that fancy of a horse, though. I thought he might have been the seller you recommended, and lo and behold.

I’ll start checking their website.

If you want to import, DM me—I just imported a fantastic one and trust my connection over there wholeheartedly. He has access to lots that aren’t “Americanized” yet like Martin’s or Stal Wilten’s, and thus, way less expensive.

2 Likes

I personally could not because feel is everything to me. I’ve seen some that I was super excited to try and felt horrible to ride. I personally could not.

There are always more horses. No shame in waiting until one is closer.

1 Like

I tried to DM you, but can’t figure out how to check if it went through or not.

1 Like

What is the current cost of importing from Europe to USA? East coast? West coast? Last time, I checked; which was a couple years ago it was about $8000-$10000 on the East coast and about $10000-$12000 on the West coast. It may have increased?

What about Veterinarian exams? Lots of European horses seem to be advertised including a pre exam with xrays. Unlike here in the states. I know some buyers have their stateside Veterinarians review diagnostics ect. Is that Veterinary cost been included above or as an add on? If not; what is a reasonable budget?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I’m curious about this as well.

1 Like

I imported a Mare to California last October, shipping her over was around $8000 USD and since she is a mare I spent an extra $4000 in Quarantine. So over all it was around $12000 USD

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!!

As is clear over the months since the original post …

… coming to COTH and asking to be talked out of buying a horse sight unseen is sort of like going to a bar for help to stop drinking. You can’t seriously expect that this threads ends before you buy a horse sight unseen. Be sure and post photos of your new horse as soon as he’s home with you. :laughing:

I bought my last one over the phone and email, based on photos, video and a clean vet. I did have the seller send my a photo of him being sticked for height. He was 5 hours away from me and the only one in that area that had my interest. First time I saw him in person is when I picked him up to bring him home. That was years ago and he’s an awesome horse. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I just spent about $9,500 to import one to NY. That was actually on the higher side as he was coming from Ireland and getting him from Ireland to Liege was a pain that added to the cost.

He had X-rays but we did our own set, plus a full PPE. That was around $1,600, performed by the top clinic in the country. Having my vet here read the X-rays was another $105.

2 Likes

Would love to hear how they progress.
This is my goal one day. But just one. Not 8 :grin:

2 Likes