Unlimited access >

Talk to me about Bengal Cats

I have one, work at a vet clinic with 4 more and see a lot of them.

They tend to not be snuggly cats(though my cat has a timer- when it goes off he wants pets but does not want to be picked up). I won’t get another.

THEY ARE BUSY CATS- you need to be making them tired or they will harass your other cats destroy your house. I have now trained a dozen of them how to use the Bengal wheel and it really helps.
They tend to have major heart disease so make sure your breeder is aggressively screening for HCM, food allergies and urinary tract infections.

My sister had one. He was gorgeous and quite the hunter. She did not do her homework and was disappointed that he was not snuggly and she wanted a snuggly cat. He got to be very tall - long and lanky. He also did not appreciate it when the family went on trips - he would poop on the floor. He also would visit their neighbors in the winter and they would let him come in and sleep by the fire. He did take care of the chipmunks in their neighborhood.

So she thought she should give him to me because she was tired of his antics. Except I already had four cats and knew they would not get along. I told her - sure. Provided he comes with a prepaid million dollar annuity. She turned that down. Besides getting along with the other cats he had been fed a diet strictly of dry cat food and I wasn’t looking forward to paying cystitis vet bills.

He ended up with liver problems and died at a fairly young age. I would love to have one but the cats I have are dumped here and nobody dumps a Bengal out here.