Unlimited access >

Talk to me about Bengal Cats

In my dog breed I see a lot of people having Bengal Cats so my interest got perked.

I’m not looking for a cat now - 2-3 years off in the future possibly as I wait on the health of my current kitty crew.

They look lovely - I’m a genetics nut so coat color patterns and inheritance and genetics behind that have me already geeking out a little.

What are they like to live with? (Generally)

F4 and beyond is usually what to look for correct?

Also considering Abssynians and Havana Browns (though the Havana Browns are so rare and so few breeders I might cross them off my list).

A friend has one and takes it to Mexico for 3months of winter every year… Cat travels well, has been taught tricks (like shake, jumper thru a hoop and fetch) and is quite friendly. Lives outside at home, hunts a bit, comes when called. Really lovely looking, too.

A few COTHers (beside myself) have one. You can find Facebook groups (and rescues).

In any case, I got mine several years ago, when she showed up in my laundry room and refused to leave.
A dark orange/cinamon color, with spots instead of stripes, metalic sheen when the lights hits her just right, the SOFTEST kitty I ever had!

Unfortunately, she hates being picked up and snuggled (will snuggle with DH, under her terms only)

She can be very vocal (and loud), and although she has been with us for several years yet, she still gets her zoomie moments, running like a nut through the house, bouncing off the walls.
She likes high places, will never sit on the bare floor, matter of fact, my floors are a pool of lava, she has to travel the long way around this danger. :rolleye:

She is on the small side, I don’t think that is typical, around 8 pounds. My other 2 are around 14 pounds, even the slender one.
As far as my research goes, there are no major health concerns (not like with greyhounds and anesthesia)
Mine is an indoor cat by her choice. She seldom wanders outside through the cat door.

What I do see is a large percentage of Bengal owners opting to declaw their cats. And I have to say she does claw stuff a lot, but really not more than my other two as far as I am concerned.

A good scratching post is a must, or your furniture will suffer!

Mine is also a catnip junky, but YMMV.

As I have currently cat number 4 requesting entry to the kingdom, I don’t see myself getting another any time soon, but it’s certainly on my to-do list.
I love kittens, but there are a lot in rescue, astonishingly enough, and if mine is somewhat typical, they retain kitten behavior for quite some time. And they can teach your old cats some new tricks, too, like how to kill a roll of paper towels…as they cannot be trusted. Only a dead roll is a good roll!

And I forgot to add.

mine does not travel well.
Had her at the vet’s to spay.
“you can pick her up after 12 tomorrow” they tell me.
the next day I get a call at 10 “the vet is here, you can come get her!”

As I walk through the office door, I can hear her hollering from the very back! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Never did get to ask the vet how his night went, watching her!

aw alagirl, your link doesn’t work!!

I know nothing about Bengals, but they do show up often on the local lost and found cats pages.

They are usually found posts. I don’t know if people feel they need to be outside, or if they end up kicking them out due to behavior issues. But for an expensive cat there sure are a lot of them needing new homes…

I have one that appears to be a cross-- she looks very much like a Bengal, except that she doesn’t have a tail. She is a gorgeous cat (marble, but faintly gold in the right light) and really pretty pleasant to have around, but the other cats find her pretty intimidating and she does not tolerate being picked up at all although she is happy to lie on the couch or bed with you. She definitely has serious opinions about everything from food to the litter box to where on the bed she is going to sleep (dead center!) And she doesn’t really sound like a cat, more like a strange bird.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/v/t34.0-12/12081469_10206985189455877_1908145949_n.jpg?oh=040c3a4a7d904eda0b5dbc1e3c8b774c&oe=56A05994

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t34.0-12/12053149_10206985198296098_66862567_n.jpg?oh=0fd93b7470947cffbac9badd7b62465a&oe=56A03AB7

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t34.0-12/12053331_10206985194936014_30113685_n.jpg?oh=ed98ea0f59e89b312e01d48874110dc3&oe=56A041E9

[QUOTE=beowulf;8490613]
aw alagirl, your link doesn’t work!![/QUOTE]

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/41199_421999608252_2117707_n.jpg?oh=7026828721bd739f1b1a1dfed3a01014&oe=570876B9
does that work?
It’s a facebook picture…

Never had one myself, but have had the opportunity to house-sit for several people who have them. Gorgeous cats! Many of them were leash trained and went on walks, all were very vocal and liked routines. Did not like being picked up, but were happy to sit with you and get attention.

They felt like super soft plush toys, not like typical cats. Every owner I knew had various cat trees and shelves, and were good about playing with the cats or making sure they got enough exercise, as they tended to amuse themselves if bored.

Interestingly enough, every Bengal owner I’ve met had catnip scented bubbles - those wands that came in the little bottles and you can blow through them? The cats LOVED those bubbles! Tougher than regular soap bubbles, as they would rest where they landed for several seconds without popping.

Would love to have one someday, but the prices on some of them! O.O Not sure DH would be okay with spending that much to purchase a kitten…

Love them! One day I will get one. My sister had one and she was awesome. More like a dog than a cat and she was so entertaining :slight_smile:

The perfect description for the noise was stated above " sounds more like a strange bird than a cat". Buffy would chatter chirp and is was very weird.

Sort of like this but my sister’s cat had a more “clicking” noise. Great vocals!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDbYR0ExLw0

[QUOTE=Alagirl;8490607]
What I do see is a large percentage of Bengal owners opting to declaw their cats. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Alice;8490620]I know nothing about Bengals, but they do show up often on the local lost and found cats pages.

They are usually found posts. I don’t know if people feel they need to be outside, or if they end up kicking them out due to behavior issues. But for an expensive cat there sure are a lot of them needing new homes…[/QUOTE]

If there were two statements that told you all you need to know about Bengals, those are it.

They are NOT cats for amateurs. Even at F4 you are still dealing with an energy level well beyond even your average young cat. An energy level that will not necessarily decrease with time. So if you think “gosh, I want a bengal, they are sooo pretty!” (they are) and you are not also thinking, “I’m ready to spend my life with the border collie of cats (claws included for free!)” then you probably need to reassess. I think the “My cat from hell” show has had a few appearances from bengals, it would probably be worth watching those to get a perspective on what dealing with a bengal owned by a not serious and/or uneducated owner (but well meaning) is really like.

It’s also worth mentioning that as a popular breed they are more subject to disreputable breeders, so if after tons of research you still want one (not me, not EVER), take the time and extra $$$ to purchase one from a really responsible breeder who has a take back clause and requires certain things like spaying/neutering and no declawing as a condition of sale.

LOL, Beezy is more like the equivalent of an Opera Diva when she is calling! :lol: Nothing birdlike about her!

I have a friend who has one named smeagal. He is ENORMOUS! These are health conscious people, Cannot imagine them letting cats get so fat. Two cats one Bengal. He is stunning. Very green eyes. He is as the others have said, not a lap cat. He seems to be very friendly, but no laps, which means I don’t want one. I WANT A LAP CAT! I have two cats now, and neither is a lap cat.
Personally, I don’t want a purebred cat. Too many other homeless cats.:no:

Thanks for all the info.

Compared to Abssynians they’re more extreme right?

And I’ve heard Havana Browns are Abyssinians who went to finishing school haha.

I’ve always had moggies mostly animal shelters/dumped at the farm/found their way to me.

But I do believe there is a place for a pedigree/reputable breeder cat and I’m years off from getting one but want to do my research in the meantime.

pretty features, independent and LOUD? my kind of cat!

Not a Bengal but I have an Ocicat that was rescued off the streets and has found her way into my household. She is smaller sized at 7lbs and has to be the most graceful moving cat I’ve had (currently have 3 others). Loves to climb, likes to play, not a lap cat and will let you know when she’s had enough affection, but I have no idea of her upbringing. She’s young at about a yr old according to the vets. No fear of our large dog or strangers. Beautiful to look at and does use the scratching post. She’s not that vocal either. So far I’m a fan.

[QUOTE=WindyIsles;8490912]

Compared to Abssynians they’re more extreme right?

And I’ve heard Havana Browns are Abyssinians who went to finishing school haha.[/QUOTE]

That’s probably a fair bet! Although we had an aby cross once, and we also had a rough textured wallpaper, sort of burlap-ish (early 80’s) and my father walked into the bedroom from the hallway and though to himself, “there’s a cat on the ceiling?” And turned around to see Bearcat hanging from the wallpaper in the doorframe. So they may be closer to bengals than I’m giving them credit for!

Too funny about the Havanas!

[QUOTE=Alagirl;8490607]
A dark orange/cinamon color, with spots instead of stripes, metalic sheen when the lights hits her just right … hates being picked up and snuggled …
can be very vocal (and loud), * * * mine does not travel well.[/QUOTE]
This sounds just like my cat!! LOL …

I adopted a Bengal from a no-kill shelter. They had a Cinqo de Mayo “sale” so we went to look and I fell in love with his look. The shelter workers had a small bit of knowledge about the breed, but not alot and knew nothing about him (he was picked up as a stray). They told me he was about 1. He got the requisite vet check/shots before we left the shelter - he bit the vet. :eek::lol: I had brought a cat carrier with me and on the way home he was CLAWING to get out. My Mom was getting frightened, LOL. :yes: I named him Boe (as in “the face of”). :smiley: His face is very wide and

My cat is VERY LOUD - a yowl I’ve never heard come out of a cat and other non-cat noises that I’m familiar with. He never has a normal level meow; it is always a full blast yowl or LOUD chortle type noises. When he wants me, I can easily hear him down by the horse corrals. Had to take him to the vet once and they had to sedate him to work on him. And was told he was not 1; he was probably 8 or 9. Yea, no one could get that close to him to really check, LOL.

He does NOT like to be held or snuggled. He does want to be petted at times but when he is done, he will try to bite you. Love bites, really, but he’s quick. I can pick him up to put him on something, but any longer than that is not tolerated. My cattle dog is afraid of him as he will chase the dog, LOL.

Despite all that, I love him alot. He lives life on his own terms, but has settled in nicely in the household. I’ve had him now for 4-5 years.

There is someone else in town (I live in a small community) that has one. She takes it with her on leash to various places and it seems pretty affectionate. I could not do that with my cat, LOL.

My son has a half Bengal, 7 mnth kitten. she is gorgeous (exactly like described here https://fello.pet/en/cat-breeds/bengal-cat/). Very friendly, plays fetch., chatters alot but can be a bit ‘rude’ she is liable to climb legs or just jump onto someone when she feel like it and she is not one to keep her claws to herself.

Is this 5 year old thread being resurrected because of the “Cat People” series on Netflix featuring a Bengal in one episode?