Unlimited access >

Tall female hunter riders

Hi everyone! I’m a junior looking for women hunter professionals that have the same physique as me. I want to learn more about my center of gravity and how other riders like me position themselves, and I feel I can really learn from watching. I’m looking for someone 5’9 and taller that is on the slimmer side. Greatly appreciated!

Keri Kampsen comes to mind

3 Likes

No offense, but isn’t that literally the predominant aesthetic in the hunter ring? If you’d like to learn about proprioception and mindful body position, a Pilates class is a great resource. Even better if you can find one taught by a fellow rider.

7 Likes

There are a lot of videos available of Lillie Keenan from her hunter days.

3 Likes

What matters more than your height and slimness is more about your proportions, proprioception, and strength. Also your background to riding.

I’m 5’9, 33, and with a slightly long torso, long arms. Think perfect deadlift body. I am a size 27/28ish (womens size 4), but carry ANY weight in my lower body. Bra size is a 32/33 A. I can crush watermelons with my thighs and my back extension 1 rep max is 240 lbs (elite). I am a former dressage rider turned showjumper. I ride VERY differently than a barnmate who is also 5’9, also size 4, 27/28, with short torso and short arms who grew up in the childrens’ hunters.

3 Likes

No, I don’t think she’s wrong, most of the female professionals that spring to mind immediately are quite petite. I’m having a hard time thinking of a taller one, as I am also quite small, and everyone seems tall to me but then as I think about it they aren’t actually tall to the general population.
Edited to add I’ve thought about it, and I think Patricia Griffith is who I’d watch.

6 Likes

I think you are thinking of the equitation ring.

3 Likes

But you still ride more similarly to them than someone who is 5’1’’. I’ve had a few pros in clinics say they encourage riders to find role model with a similar build and look at how they use their body. I just listened to an excellent podcast with Peter Wylde where he mentions that as well.

Plus, how would most know the proportions, proprioception, and strength of professional hunter riders?

3 Likes

True, but with some suggestions, the OP could seek out videos of those people and find a good match for someone to watch.

2 Likes

Go to shows - stand next to them / introduce yourself :). Go to clinics and chat about the size / fit of their gear, chat about their cross training and athletic backgrounds, ask if they do reformer pilates or CrossFit. Meet professionals that have a similar body type (use photos to compare proportions) and clinic / lesson with them.

Proportions, athletic history, etc. matter just as much as height and build, but that is my opinion, YMMV.
I am not saying it is a bad idea - but that it is a bit too simplistic to carry THAT much cross-over. The more similar datapoints the better.

Here - you can see that I have a super long torso and very long arms - that torso and my ability to release in certain ways due to my long arm and strong core operates totally differently than someone my height with a longer leg, shorter torso, shorter arms and less core strength.

Some commentary about proportions that impact riding style

Pros of a long torso and short legs:

1. Better balance: A longer torso can provide better stability and balance.
  2. Lower center of gravity: This can make activities like lifting and bending easier.
  3. More room for internal organs: A longer torso can provide more space for internal organs, potentially reducing the risk of compression or discomfort.

Cons of a long torso and short legs:

1. Limited flexibility: Shorter legs may limit flexibility and range of motion, particularly in activities like running and certain sports.
  2. Potential for back pain: The disproportionate length of the torso and legs may lead to back pain or discomfort.

Pros of a short torso and long legs:

1. Enhanced agility: Longer legs can contribute to greater agility and speed in activities like running and jumping.
  2. Improved posture: Longer legs may contribute to better overall posture.

Cons of a short torso and long legs:

1. Reduced stability: A shorter torso may lead to reduced stability and balance, particularly in activities that require lower body strength.
  2. Potential for joint issues: Longer legs may increase the risk of joint issues, particularly in the knees and hips.

Center of gravity is a huge thing with proportions - as a long torso’d rider my CG is higher and further from the horse. The horse having a big shoulder and neck helps balance me out.

The photo above was a challenging ride for me as Easy (the horse) did not have a robust neck and I had to be very very conscious of how I folded and released over fences.

Whereas my mare who was built very thick old Dutch (KWPN) - I did not have to fight my CG as much on her over fences

2 Likes

I believe Hunter Holloway is very tall. I think she is in the jumper ring a lot these days, but there should be videos online of her in the equitation ring from a few years back.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for a tall thin Pro Hunter rider. Kelsey Powell Huber. She’s 5’11 and slim. former trainer of mine. Though she is primarily back in the Jumper ring these days

3 Likes

Jenny Karazissis

4 Likes

Height is ground to top of head.

It doesn’t tell you how much of the height is in your legs, or your upper body. Your thighs vs your whole leg.

What are you looking to learn about? Every single body should be have some sort of fitness routine that helps you balance around your specific CoG, in ways developed by moving, especially moving around with weights so you develop and even stronger “core in motion”

And then, you ride. You learn to ride your horse, in the saddle that fits him, and if you’re a catch rider, ride all kinds of horses in all kinds of saddles so you can learn even more about how to control your body’s movement.

2 Likes

I was going to suggest looking at Hunter Halloway too. We should all try to look just like her!! She is brining along a few hunters currently which I only know from watching her instagram videos, so theres clearly video out there

2 Likes

On the west coast Jenny Karazissis and Katie Taylor Davidson are tall and pretty slim and are fabulous hunter riders.

1 Like