Unlimited access >

Teaching the Lope

Hi! I’ve been working with my 3 year old since November and he’s coming along great. He’s bendy, light in his mouth, moves off my leg/seat and loves to be worked. I’m very stressed about doing everything proper with him, I’ve been watching videos of trainers, reading articles, and talking to a lot of knowledgeable horse people to help myself. He’s great at a walk, and is figuring out trotting very nicely and is very responsive and wants to please me.
We’re nearing me asking for him to lope, how do you set your horse up for that? What is your little “checklist” of things you want them to be able to do comfortable before you ask for that lope? And how would you go about asking for it so it’s a good experience for everyone?
Also I will add he’s great at picking up his leagues while on the lunge line and carries himself very nicely and confidently.
This is not the first horse I’ve trained but he is the most “important” one he’s bred to the hilt and payed into futurities. So getting this foundation down and done correctly is extremely important to me. Thank you!

What cue do you use to get him to canter on the longe? ‘Kissy’ sound? Cluck? Maybe just the word ‘Canter’?
Is there someone who can longe him with you on board?
Then you can use the cue word and add your leg aid at the same time, whilst the helper perhaps flicks the whip?
Edited to say that I would not do too much canter under saddle on circles on a 3 yr old. A couple of good transitions and half a circle would be fine.
Also cantering with a friend in a big open space on a hack is also helpful and not as stressful on his joints.

2 Likes