Unlimited access >

Teaching Young Horse not to Chew

I have a 1.5 year old filly and I like to tie her when I’m riding and whatnot to help her get used to being tied, especially since this winter I want to take her to some sortings and tie her in the arena so that she can get out and see some things. Generally she does great. She doesn’t really paw, pace, or fidget her feet. What she does do is CHEW. Doesn’t matter where or what I tie her to. She eats wood and chews on metal. She does not chew or mess with her rope. She is on good pasture with free choice mixed hay, she gets grain and has access to a mineral salt block, so I don’t feel its diet related. What can I do to nip this behavior in the bud before it becomes habit?

Don’t leave her unattended and correct her when she chews something inappropriate. Maybe give her a haynet so she has something appropriate to chew on?

5 Likes

I would not expect a 1.5 year old to be able to stand tied with nothing to do for very long (i.e., while you ride) - that’s just so young with such a short attention span. At least give her a hay net, which then eventually she might get bored and take a snooze (and presumably that is the skill you’d like to develop? To stand tied and relax? Then I would set her up to succeed at a snoozing while tied.) I would imagine tying her with nothing to do is asking for trouble (idle hands being the devils playground, and all).

9 Likes

Agreed that a 1.5 year old is too young for this activity, but for older horses I will put a grazing muzzle on them.

1 Like

This is totally normal young horse behavior. In my experience their anxiety comes out through their mouth. I agree with others that it is a lot to ask a young horse to stand at a sorting quietly. I would give her a hay net as well. There is no reason not to if your goal is to get her settled into a hectic environment; food is a comfort, and a good way to keep a horse quiet.

7 Likes

This. You can’t teach a horse not to do something by being absent and leaving them to their own devices. Be present. Make corrections over and over and over.

Also, the haynet thing is great advice. Chewing may indicate anxiety. Anxiety can lead to ulcers. Ulcers can lead to all sorts of “bad” behaviours.

4 Likes

Such a baby horse may well be teething and chewing can be a symptom.

1 Like