Unlimited access >

Tekna Dressage Saddle S-Line- Photos, Measurements, and Opinions Please

I just converted to dressage from western riding. I am 5’3", 110 lbs and about 14" from crotch to knee. I have been taking lessons in an older 17" Crosby dressage saddle. I am look to buy a saddle for my lessons and to practice at home on my own horse (average built 15.2 Appy), as well as trail ride in. I do not plan to compete. I was originally considering a Wintec Dressage 500, then a Pro. But I came across the Tekna Dressage and the price was better and it looked nicer. My biggest issue is that there are no tack shops in Washington state that carries these so I have to just buy and try one from online! It is hard for me to do this without touching and sitting in a saddle. To me, the stock photos look great. But when I look at Ebay/other photos, they sometimes make the saddle look like it has a HUGE flap, in width and length! I was told the 16.5" seat (which is what I think I will need) has a 17" flap, and is 13" wide. That is quite a bit longer than the 14.5" flap length I was told the Wintec Pro of the same seat size! And seems very wide. Can anyone measure their 16.5" or 17" Tekna to confirm for me? A friend loaned me a 17" Legend leather saddle and the flap was 17" long and about 11" wide. I have pretty short legs and would like to have some of it on the horse. I have read almost every Tekna thread out there. I am looking for photos of this saddle on a horse, and with a rider too! Smooth or suede seat. And the newer gullet-change system, not the older models, please. Why am I considering synthetic? Mostly, price, ease of care, and flexibility in the gullet. I also plan to do a lot of trail riding in dust/rain and synthetic appeals to me. I think the Wintec Pro has so much equisuede it would look brown with dust after one of my trail rides! :wink: I have tried a lot of older leather dressage saddles and they weren’t a good fit for my horse or me, and many of them needed repairs or reflocking, most good used dressage saddles start at around $1000 around here and that is not my budget. I really appreciate your input. If this saddle is better for big warmbloods and long-legged riders, then I will go back to considering the Wintec.

I’ll confirm that the flap length really is that long. I have a 27" inseam (more helpful than height, as everyone gets their height in different ways!) and while the saddle fit elsewhere, the flap was completely unworkable. I ride in a Kieffer and a Loriner dressage saddle, both with 14.5" flaps, and a precious Bates Pony Dressage with a 12" flap. I genuinely feel like even the 14.5" flaps are pushing the limit, this is me in the Kieffer: https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/599654_10153258934020215_1053663714_n.jpg I can ride, obviously, but the difference in contact and feel is quite noticeable when I swap to the significantly shorter Bates.

I will also caution that the Wintecs fit much differently than the Teknas, horse-wise, so it would be helpful to see a picture of your horse’s back.

There are Wintecs without the equisuede. Also, if you want synthetic for the convenience factor that’s once thing, but there are plenty of quality (used) saddles out there for well under $1000. My Kieffer cost me $300, my Loriner (similar to a County, but I got it cheap off eBay because it is not a “brand name”, one of the smaller makers out of England) was $150 and has the nicest leather I’ve seen in a long time, and the Bates Pony was $600. All are quality saddles, quality leather, easy resale. Two are wool-flocked (both in good condition, seen this most recent fall by a saddlefitter), and the Bates is CAIR but I plan to convert it to wool.

I’m interested in following this thread as I am looking at buying an S line. I was concerned about the flaps not being long enough (I live in a hell of my boot tops catching on the bottom of flaps :mad:), so I am encouraged so far!

There is also the Thorowgood T8 dressage saddle, it is synthetic but the seat and block are leather, I believe you can get it with several options for fit and it does have the XCH gullet system. There are also the other Thorowgood saddles too that might work but the T8 is very nice looking.

http://www.hastilowusa.com/saddles/thorowgood-saddles/thorowgood-t8-dressage.html

Thorowgood makes a superior product to either Wintec or Tekna, IMO. Here’s their all-synthetic dressage model:
http://www.mmtackshop.com/store/H-T4D!H/Thorowgood+T4+Dressage+Saddle

The Wintecs do have some fitting issues - their gullet plates have a funny bend in them that can cause pressure points, and you have to be careful with the CAIR panels… some horses really hate them and can get quite sore. I have seen/sat in the Tekna you are looking at, and it felt quite cheap. I think Wintec is a step up from Tekna, but Thorowgood is a step up from Wintec! Good luck in your search.

I work at the Farm House and we sell both Wintec and Tekna, so I sat in both today to compare. Used an 18" seat in the Tekna S Line and Wintec 500 for comparison (both are smooth synthetic, except for faux suede knee pads on the Wintec, with Velcro blocks. The Wintec offers much more room in the seat - a larger “flat spot”, if you will. Also a more forward flap (length 16.5") and slightly more narrow twist. For the horse, the Wintec offers MUCH more room for wither clearance, and has a fuller/longer gusseted rear panel compared to the rather thin gusseted panel of the Tekna (which has a much wider channel than the Wintec). The Tekna blocks are large with a molded flap (length 18") over them - take the blocks out and the flap feels much more similar to the Wintec, and the molded flap is padded enough to still be supportive. In terms of grippy-ness, the Tekna material has more “stick” to it. Overall, I like the looks of the Tekna better, but the tiny seat is going to be a problem for all but the most svelte of riders.

If you don’t have a fitter in your area, you could try working with someone like Equestrian Imports or Panther Run Saddlery. Both have a ton of experience in fitting long-distance through templates and photos. Both offer evaluation services and can tell you which saddles are most likely to work, and which probably wouldn’t be such great choices. And be sure you can try before you buy - Dover carries the Thorowgoods, as does Hastilow USA, and both offer a trial period.

OP, I’m a similar size, and i have the thorowgood mentioned above and really like it. However, I think 17" is the smallest seat size they offer. I have the 17", and it has worked well for me but think a 16.5 would have been a touch better. In canter work, I sometimes feel like there’s too much room in the seat, but since the balance is good for me, it’s been fine. If anything, given your weight, you have to have a smaller booty than me, lol, so it might be more of an issue for you.

I agree that Thorowgood is better quality, and if you are concerned about flap length may be a good option to investigate. I wanted a T6 but when I tried it my boot tops were catching on the flap. It also wasn’t nearly wide enough for my horse, set at XW. I also think the scoopier tree/panel shape of the Tekna is better suited to my horse’s back.

[QUOTE=KarenC;7444461]
OP, I’m a similar size, and i have the thorowgood mentioned above and really like it. However, I think 17" is the smallest seat size they offer. I have the 17", and it has worked well for me but think a 16.5 would have been a touch better. In canter work, I sometimes feel like there’s too much room in the seat, but since the balance is good for me, it’s been fine. If anything, given your weight, you have to have a smaller booty than me, lol, so it might be more of an issue for you.[/QUOTE]

Can you provide the flap measurements on the 17" Thorowgood, length and width? That would be so helpful! I have seen those too but they are less distributed in the US- I think only Dover carries them and the suede seat ones (which would be fine with me.) SO many choirces… :wink:

Thank you Kitt! I did not realize that saddle fit and search was so involved but I really see the importance and I am glad for the advice and that I am taking my time to find something right!

[QUOTE=Melissa.Van Doren;7444386]
I work at the Farm House and we sell both Wintec and Tekna, so I sat in both today to compare. Used an 18" seat in the Tekna S Line and Wintec 500 for comparison (both are smooth synthetic, except for faux suede knee pads on the Wintec, with Velcro blocks. The Wintec offers much more room in the seat - a larger “flat spot”, if you will. Also a more forward flap (length 16.5") and slightly more narrow twist. For the horse, the Wintec offers MUCH more room for wither clearance, and has a fuller/longer gusseted rear panel compared to the rather thin gusseted panel of the Tekna (which has a much wider channel than the Wintec). The Tekna blocks are large with a molded flap (length 18") over them - take the blocks out and the flap feels much more similar to the Wintec, and the molded flap is padded enough to still be supportive. In terms of grippy-ness, the Tekna material has more “stick” to it. Overall, I like the looks of the Tekna better, but the tiny seat is going to be a problem for all but the most svelte of riders.[/QUOTE]

Very good synopsis, thank you! I feel like I need a tiny seat so that doesn’t bother me about the Tekna, but I do worry about the flap. In the Crosby I ride now (borrowing) the flaps are 17" long and I feel like only the lower part of my calf is on the horse. Maybe the Thorowgood is better in the flap. I really like the looks of the Tekna, but don’t mind the looks of the Wintec 500 either. It’s killing me that I actually haven’t SEEN either of these saddles in person! I have NO english tack shops within 2 hours of me. And it’s 3 hours to the place that stocks all the Wintecs. They have been great to work with and have offered me competitive internet prices and a free gullet kit. But some other online companies for the other brands offer 30 day return policies so I could trial a Tekna or Thorowgood first…

I was at a basketball tournament all day so I have missed out on posting but appreciate all the advice! I am excited to check out the Thorowgoods, too. In one review I read they got picked over the Tekna and Wintec. One place I contacted did say their Teknas are selling so well they have cut back on how many Wintecs they are stocking.

Thank you for sharing the photo, I can see what you mean and that is similar to me in the Crosby I borrow for my lessons. I would add a photo but I don’t know how? I have only tried leather saddles actually…but many were very vintage (like 1979 models! :slight_smile: They were lovely but too narrow for my horse and also needed tear repair, and probably reflocking. So the prices quickly went up when I considered the work they would need (But they didn’t fit me or my horse regardless.) I am not ruling out leather but as I am mostly taking lessons and pleasure riding, a synthetic would do me well until I determine how serious I am going to be/go with the dressage.

[QUOTE=RanchMama;7445232]
Can you provide the flap measurements on the 17" Thorowgood, length and width? That would be so helpful! I have seen those too but they are less distributed in the US- I think only Dover carries them and the suede seat ones (which would be fine with me.) SO many choirces… ;-)[/QUOTE]

M&M Tack carries Thorowgood, and they typically offer a trial policy. Plus I’d rather deal with them than Dover any day of the week! Trumbull Mtn also carries Thorowgood (though I’m not sure if they have the full-synthetic T4 model) and they offer an excellent trial policy. You can also check with Kim at Flying Star Saddlery (sales@flyingstarstables.com)… she sells the K&M and Fairfax, which are sister lines to Thorowgood. I purchased my most recent saddle from her and it was an excellent experience.

Regarding size: keep in mind that a dressage saddle will have long billets, so even if part of your calf is up against the saddle flap, you will still have a lot more contact with the horse than you would in an all purpose saddle with short billets. A too-long flap can certainly still be a problem, but it will be a very different feel :wink:

[QUOTE=CatPS;7446054]
M&M Tack carries Thorowgood, and they typically offer a trial policy. Plus I’d rather deal with them than Dover any day of the week! Trumbull Mtn also carries Thorowgood (though I’m not sure if they have the full-synthetic T4 model) and they offer an excellent trial policy. You can also check with Kim at Flying Star Saddlery (sales@flyingstarstables.com)… she sells the K&M and Fairfax, which are sister lines to Thorowgood. I purchased my most recent saddle from her and it was an excellent experience.

Regarding size: keep in mind that a dressage saddle will have long billets, so even if part of your calf is up against the saddle flap, you will still have a lot more contact with the horse than you would in an all purpose saddle with short billets. A too-long flap can certainly still be a problem, but it will be a very different feel ;)[/QUOTE]

I sent MM Tack an email and will give them a call. Their price is the same as Dover so if they were willing to give me a slightly longer trial…its not so much I want more time to ride in it, its finding the days with crappy weather and also I only have one lesson a week (monday or Friday) so juggling it all, I’d need a saddle at least 7 days not including shipping time. I also am SO excited I just found a certified master saddle fitter who is (somewhat) in my area! She carries the Thorowgoods, at least the T8. I am really interested in the T4 (due to cost) but maybe she can get it for me, or have some to try. I am going to contact her this week. I am really excited about the Thorowgood now. Just hope the 17" will fit my little bum! :wink: I won’t know until I sit in it. I tried to follow their website and measured myself from bum to knee, I got about 20" but wasn’t sure where to start on the bum, LOL! That would put me at a 16.5-17. I wonder why they don’t make a 16.5?

Not sure where in WA you are, but for some reason I thought The Bony Pony in Mount Vernon, WA carried Tekna. Might be worth a call?