Unlimited access >

Teknit boots?

Thanks for confirming - that’s the site I was looking at. They’re based in The Netherlands - did you call their customer service line or communicate online?

I believe I used the online chat portal and was then directed to their general assistance email. They were super fast in responding and very nice.

Thanks!

Resurrecting this thread because these just came out:

Looks like more brands are jumping on the bandwagon. These have two height and width options, though, and look a bit more like a traditional boot on the lower part.

I personally like the concept, but I get bad shin rubs and I doubt these would do anything to protect that.

Thoughts?

oh, I haven’t seen these yet. I am more interested in these - mainly because they come in my foot size and I also think having 2 sizes means it may actually fit my calf.

Actually, just looked that the Teknit is now offered in mens sizing, which offers my size, so I am super interested in either. (I am a womans 12, but EU43-44, the womans Teknit only comes up to a 41)

I’d want to reach out to the company for reassurance that the regular does indeed fit a 16’’ calf. Because most off-the-shelf brands don’t even go that big. I thought+1 might have been like “plus another inch” but it is height for tall. But they look very similar and the price point is essentially the same for a more known brand.

I like the idea of these EGO 7 boots, but getting them on and off reminds me of a boa constrictor crossed with a pair of rain boots. I can’t imagine doing that in hot, humid monsoonal weather. Plus, I already have issues where the calves of my breeches are always a little too loose on my legs. So these might work if I were wearing riding tights, but with typical breeches I’d probably end up with bumpy lumps and rubs on my legs.

4 Likes

It’s still a paddock boot with a fancy sock attached to the top.
I can’t even imagine the shin rubs one would get in them. Ow.

5 Likes

I think in the “putting on” video on the Web site I actually can see a big wrinkle in her left pant leg, so I totally get what you are saying. Talk about a RUB!

2 Likes

Curious, two posters now mention shin rubs. How? I’m not being snarky, maybe I’m not riding steadily enough after all, but the leather doesn’t cross my shin?

The stirrup leather crosses over the front of your leg when you are riding

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t, that’s why I’m asking. I just went through several pictures, it crosses over yes but doesn’t touch my shin.

At least in me, and most people I know, it touches. You can see in this photo where it hits. Depending on the way you have your stirrups it may rub.

2 Likes

That’s been my thought too. I have scars from shin rubs from (thankfully) years ago. Those boots just look like they’d be inviting more.

3 Likes

I’m late to the party here, but I think my feelings on the Teknit boots are no different than my feelings would be on the newer Ego7s. I bought a pair of Teknit boots last summer. They became the boots I prefer to walk around the showgrounds in, but I’m not a big fan of riding in them. Every single time I put them on I think, “couldn’t they have put a zipper in?” Because even if you do it just right, they can be so hard to get on. And for some reason, I can’t get “the slide” done right (nor the same way) every time I put them on (though sometimes they do slide on like shown in the videos). They’re so hard to put on, in fact, that I end up riding in my leather boots just for the fact that it’s less mental anguish for a task that should be a no brainer.

As for riding in them. They are indeed very comfortable. I had to shorten my stirrups (because the foot profile is so much slimmer than my regular soled boots). But they remind me a little of the first time you try to ride in tennis shoes and realize that your boots actually do stabilize your ankle a little. I find you get past that pretty quickly, but still is a point (for me) towards structured boots. As for shin rubs? I agree with Jenners - I haven’t ever had a stirrup leather rub the front of my shin, and would question how correctly the stirrup is sitting on your foot if it is. But also, of course, could be a foot/leg conformation thing. I did have a few things snag the fabric, and that doesn’t seem to bode well for long term use. And I tore a hole in one as I tried to figure out how to get them on and due to my own impatience and dumbass-ery tried to use boot pulls (to some success, to be fair)…one of which punched right through the fabric. So I sewed it up, and that seems to have held up just fine and not caused any issues.

The biggest drawback to me was that they slip down when you’re riding. Not to a functional degree, but (oh so much more important <- said with a heavy dose of sarcasm!) to the detriment of the attractiveness of the boot. By the end of every ride, the boot had slid down to the point that is probably technically correct, but left a gap at the very top of my leg that made it look like my boots were a little too short. That to me was the kiss of death.

But very comfortable, and nice and cool in hot weather.

Can only find a jumping photo (I know I’ve got a standing around one somewhere that I’ll try to find), but I think this shows my opinion of what “too short” means (which is probably not as bad as I made it sound): https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10160270011408408&set=a.10150881874178408

2 Likes

I have to wear gel bands under my breeches on my shins to prevent bruising.

This is a recent thing, so might be age-related, as I recently discovered I am really old.

5 Likes

When I was a teenager I got the worst shin bruises. To this day I have discoloration from where they were.
Then sometime around 18ish I realized I hadn’t had a bruise on my legs from them in a long time.

1 Like

New technology and all that, fine in an arena. I wouldn’t consider them foxhunting or even trail riding as leather boots provide protection from scrub, branches, gate posts and getting a kick from another horse.

1 Like