Unlimited access >

Tell me about adjustable girths

Anyone have one? Use one? What do you think? Collegiate, EquiRoyal, and Gatsby make (or made) one for sure, and there might be other brands. I ride many different horses but do not relish the idea of carting around a tack trunk full of girths…at least not yet!

Hard to find them with elastic on BOTH sides unfortunately, and I have the feeling they wouldn’t be particularly show appropriate. Not in hunters at least. Considering doing a sheepskin/fleece cover over it as well for comfort, cleanliness, and aesthetics.

I had two and sold them both. Great in theory but I found them to be a bit crap. The part that buckled under the belly was constantly sliding off the pad it was meant to be on which the horses found irritating. They may have improved the design in recent years as I sold my last one 10 years ago.

I had one and never really had any issues with it. It was a fairly cheap one but it got the job done. It was nice to not have to go digging all over to find a girth if I was riding a different horse (at that point I was riding for a friesian barn to get my horse show fix in and rode a couple different horses with different builds and used a few different saddles.

I have two. I used them for a while before I got enough money to get many synthetic girths. I HAD TO put them in fleece sleeves because on some horses they pulled hair out on the front. The horses did not particularly like the ending of the padding up by their elbows.

However they did serve me well since I was riding several different horses and at that time I could not afford a complete girth collection. I’ve kept them because I never know when I will need them again!

I have two. I used them for a while before I got enough money to get many synthetic girths. I HAD TO put them in fleece sleeves because on some horses they pulled hair out on the front. The horses did not particularly like the ending of the padding up by their elbows.

However they did serve me well since I was riding several different horses and at that time I could not afford a complete girth collection. I’ve kept them because I never know when I will need them again!

If I ended up getting one, I’d almost certainly get some kind of cover. Might even cannibalize a sheepskin one and get creative with velcro to make a less bulky cover for the underside on the horse. Thanks for the input! Anyone else have experience with them?