Unlimited access >

Tell Me About Jumper/Combined Training Turnout

OK, so I tried show jumping once, and I’m ADDICTED. Love it. My 14.2 QH gelding is short, stocky, and speedy enough to do the jumpers, and he never places in the hunters because he can’t physically get himself over fences without a good amount of power. I still love and respect the hunters, but for my horse at this time, jumpers is best. Well, actually, combined training. And reining. And cutting. And ranch trail and pleasure. He kind of does a lot of disciplines. But I’m getting off topic! My point is, we have our first combined training show in a month. We are getting ready riding-wise, but I wanted to get some opinions on turn-out! It is going to be a pretty big schooling show.

For Dressage:
Black Verhan dressage saddle
Black bridle with Baucher bit
White dressage pad
Black dressage coat/stock tie/white shirt/white breeches/tall boots/helmet

For Jumping:
Brown saddle
Brown bridle with mechanical hackamore (legal)
Hunter green fly bonnet
White saddle pad with hunter green monogram
White open front boots w/ white ankle boots on hind
Black coat/white rat catcher/white breeches (too lazy to change from dressage), field boots, helmet

What do you guys think? I know I can go color-crazy in the jumpers, but after doing hunters for a while it’s tough! So I’m going for classy and conservative, yet slightly adventurous :slight_smile: Because it is a schooling show and I’ll only be doing 2 dressage tests, I’m not planning on braiding. Thanks!

Sounds perfectly fine!

Sounds great. I would braid for dressage… But then again, I’m a crazy turnout freak.

I have been doing jumpers for some time and still am ultra conservative due to hunter/eq back ground. Navy blue is a big deal for me!

I am not a fan of white horse boots. Personal preference. I use black or leather. But if they are clean then suppose that’s fine :winkgrin:. Ivory, hot water, and a scrub brush/hard brush will do the trick to keep them white.

That being said, I am of the stance that if you are wearing white breeches your horse should be braided. I am sure it’s different for dressage since white breeches are more a norm as opposed to for specific classes, but it never hurts!

Have fun! Post pictures!

make sure you take baby wipes with you. they are excellent for a quick tack clean, bit wipes (get the all natural ones), face wipe, boot wipe, you name it. i always take a second pair of anything that might end up too dirty to show in, ive fallen off a few too many times before in the warmup ring. your set up sounds great.

Beige/tan breeches are very legal in dressage so then you don’t look so formal in SJ.

All sounds good to me :slight_smile: You’ll look great. Have fun!

From the CT/Eventing world here
If it is a schooling show, dont’ braid.
Call the secretary about rider turn out. Many times a simple polo shirt and clean breeches are all that is acceptable (and expeceted).
Be sure your baucher’s mouth piece is legal. Remember dressage has legal vs illegal bits. For jumping phases there are no rules about bits so long as there is no blood, etc :slight_smile:
No standing martingales allowed in eventing though. Absolute no-no!!
White boots are fine. That is a presonal preference thing.
Square or fitted pad for jumping though you will find mostly square are used.
You will get a bridle number, not a number for you to wear. Put on the side of the bridle for dressage the is the OUTSIDE of the turn at your entrance. IE if you turn left at C, put on right side, usually at the browband; if you turn right at C, put it on the left. This way the judge can see your number as you turn.
Also be sure to be around the dressage arena, all the way, before you enter. And go BETWEEN the judge’s box (or horse trailer or whatever she/he is sitting in) and the arena. Say hello and tell her your number. You can start around the arena as soon as the entry ahead of you does their final salute. Do not wait for them to leave the areana to start. You have 45 seconds after the bell/whistle/whatever to enter at A. 45 seconds is an ETERNITY!. Trot around the outside of a dressage arena some time before the day of your show and time it; you will see what you mean. Be sure don’t panic when you hear the bell. TAKE YOUR TIME. As with jumping, ride each movement just like you ride each fence. Once it is ridden, forget it go on. Nothing you do about it, it is only 1 score. Just do the next one better :slight_smile: Know your test!! They are available on line at http://useventing.com/competitions/dressage.
Any other questions, ask away on the Eventing boards!!
And welcome to the dark side :slight_smile:

Agree that, unless you are competing at second level or above, you will probably be best served by a polo and tan breeches. You can wear a coat with tan breeches for the dressage test if you want to turn out more formally. I would wear gloves for dressage.

No need to braid at this level. A neatly pulled mane will be fine.

I like black boots, but that is my opinion. They are much easier to clean!

Alrighty, thank you guys very much!

As it is a schooling show, I don’t intend to braid. My gelding has a long mane for showing in reining, so if we did braid it would be in the nice and neat running braid that we usually show in. Tan breeches and polo sound great to me! My white Pikeurs are not very comfortable and do look rather formal :slight_smile: I’ll save them for the rated shows! Maybe a long sleeve polo, as it is still pretty chilly! I shall take my show coat just in case, though :winkgrin:

We have done rated dressage several times, so the dressage tests shouldn’t be a huge deal for us, but we are slightly newer to show jumping. I’m not expecting refusals or spooking though; he’s a super sold horse that is just fun and stress-free to show!

I probably won’t be showing in a martingale at all- he just doesn’t really need one. Our baucher is legal :slight_smile: I have both black and leather boots for him, but since he’s a chestnut the white looks so striking, and the whites are my only open-fronts! It’s a pretty casual show (but with big numbers) at a local private barn, and from what I’ve heard, the jump courses are so easy that they’re unrealistic. We’re talking like 5 fences. Dressage tests are standard though. We’re EXCITED! Thanks again guys :slight_smile:

I would take your coat. I’ve shown many schooling c/ts and sometimes they do not call coats and some are laid back and doesn’t care. So it really depends on the show. Do a running braid if he has a long mane and you dont want to pull it. At least for dressage. If it was pulled I wouldn’t braid but a long mane can be distracting and hides the neck. Good luck and have fun!

I don’t know where you are, but for a winter schooling show CT here? You’d be fine with a polo under a sweater in the winter, and a polo alone in the summer. They’re pretty laid back affairs, generally.

The only bit of turnout I’d question is the ear bonnet. I know they’re trendy, but unless you’re using it to keep ear puffs in, it’s winter, and they are, in theory, for bugs. Not many of those out right now, so I wouldn’t both with it, unless you’re stuffing ears.

If the horse has a long mane, please braid it. Especially for dressage, when you want the judge to be able to see the horse’s neck. If it was a shorter pulled length, I certainly wouldn’t bother for a schooling show.

Even at recognized USEA events, a jacket is NEVER required if all three (or in this case two) phases are run on the same day. Polo and britches, schooling helmet, fine.
Remember no horse boots for dressage and your SJ warmup will have flagged fences - always jump red on right. Even at a schooling show they will be monitoring that as it is a safety thing.
One of the nice things about eventing is that there is very little emphasis on what you or your horse are wearing, as long as you are tidy and within the rules. Have fun!

Perfect! Technically since we’re in Florida it’s not really “winter” and the mosquitoes and flies are still making their presence known! Hence the fly bonnet. For SJ, I’m thinking black short sleeve polo under charcoal sweater- fancy looking but I can lose the sweater when it warms up in the afternoon! Running braid it is :slight_smile: They take zero time and look quite nice on him. The show is only about 20 minutes away from my house, and I’ve heard wonderful things about the facility and show management. Thanks for the red flags on right tip! Very helpful. I’ll take the fancy show coat and velvet helmet for dressage, and then decide based on what everyone else is up to :slight_smile:

Yes, I would do a running braid since he has long mane.
You need to do you test from memory. You can’t have anyone call it for you in eventing.
Be sure you know it. USEA uses different tests than USDF. The lower level test don’t have a halt at entry.
And Collectives are different; USEA stil uses the “old” ones.
There shouldn’t be half points but if they are using a dressage judge she may score with them unknowningly. No biggy.
Don’t get all caught up about turn out. Just be clean and neat.
Eventers are more laid back than the other 2 groups :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=MeghanDACVA;7389850]
From the CT/Eventing world here

Also be sure to be around the dressage arena, all the way, before you enter. And go BETWEEN the judge’s box (or horse trailer or whatever she/he is sitting in) and the arena. Say hello and tell her your number. You can start around the arena as soon as the entry ahead of you does their final salute. Do not wait for them to leave the areana to start. You have 45 seconds after the bell/whistle/whatever to enter at A. 45 seconds is an ETERNITY!. Trot around the outside of a dressage arena some time before the day of your show and time it; you will see what you mean. Be sure don’t panic when you hear the bell. TAKE YOUR TIME. As with jumping, ride each movement just like you ride each fence. Once it is ridden, forget it go on. Nothing you do about it, it is only 1 score. Just do the next one better :slight_smile: Know your test!! They are available on line at http://useventing.com/competitions/dressage.
Any other questions, ask away on the Eventing boards!!
And welcome to the dark side :-)[/QUOTE]

Going around the arena is not mandatory and sometimes, if there is a spooky spot outside the arena it can cause problems.

Christa

Thinking about a certain rock and stump combination by a dressage ring that my mare WOULD NOT PASS :slight_smile: on the trip around the ring - we had to go WAY around it. Then she was distracted for her entire test looking for the troll that apparently lives there.

The next year I skipped the trip around the ring.

It is a schooling show that is not USEA sanctioned, and uses USEF tests. Not planning on having a caller though, prefer to memorize tests :slight_smile: I will be leaving out the cross country phase this time around! This show is hosting western dressage/pleasure/equitation as well, some English flat classes, and lots of different USEF dressage tests. I’m so excited!

The USEA tests are USEF tests. Somewhere on the entry form it will tell you which test they are using for each level. Be sure you know which one!! Embarassing to learn the A test and find out they are using B, etc.

And no, going around the arena is not required but it is considered good manners to go by the judge. Sort of like the circle you hunter folks make before you start your course. And gives your horse a chance to see the scarey thing the judge is sitting in that they then have to trot directly up to when they come in.

You may also need a medical armband. Some CTs require them to jump, some don’t.

Just remember that the USEF Dressage tests for Eventing CHANGED for 2014. Make sure you memorize the new tests, and not the old ones.

(If you are riding at a level that uses the Intro tests, they did NOT change for 2014.)