Unlimited access >

Tell me about Michigan Eventing Trainers

I am new to Southwest Michigan and I am looking for some inside information good and bad on eventing trainers in the area. I am more than willing to drive a couple hours or more for a good trainer and want to find an upper level trainer that has or is still competing at the upper levels. I have heard a few names mentioned and looked at their websites: sue moessner, philippa humphreys, erika tries peterson, robin walker— so I know they have upper level experience but I don’t know much else.

So can you tell me about your experiences: what are they like to lesson with, work for, how are they at shows, what type of rider/trainer, what kind of values, what do/don’t you like about them, etc. Please PM if you prefer. Also are there any other trainers out there that should be on my list to consider and what do you know about them?

Thank you!

I train with Erika Petersen. She’s (IMO) the greatest. :slight_smile: She’s about to have a baby any minute but still took 4-5 kids to Cobblestone last weekend and will be taking a whole pack to a local dressage show on Saturday. Umm, dynamo? Yes. :lol: I board two at her place and take lessons twice a week when I can. She’s done more with my pitiful self than any trainer I’ve ever had. She does not waste my time patting me on the head and telling me I’m wonderful, nor does she holler and yell and berate her riders. Can’t stand either style. She’s obviously not competing at any level right now and just sold one of her upper level horses, but it won’t take her long–virtually every horse she starts winds up at Intermediate or Advanced.

Sorry about two posts–my PC will not format a paragraph. :mad: If training is what you’re looking for I think that’s where she does her best–making horses of all shapes, sizes, and breeds go softly, quietly confidently, nice and steady with no gadgets, aggressive riding, or things that make one cringe. Both of my horses are somewhat, umm, challenged in the gaits/relaxation/obedience/quiet department and she ROUTINELY gets scores in the mid-20s on them. I get high 30s/low40s on them. :sigh: :lol: They are not upper level horses by any means but she rides them like they are! :smiley: Can’t say enough positive things about her, her barn, or her program. I’d be happy to introduce you! :slight_smile:

Second DW recommendation. Low key, high quality training, boarding and great group of folks who are a community. If I were in Michigan, I would ride with either Erika or with Cathy Henderson (who has ridden extensively through intermediate on horses she has made herself). I would pick between them based on which side of the state, so for SW, Erika is closer. Robin is very actively competing at the upper levels and is an ICP trainer. The downside is that he spends much of every year in places other than Michigan and his Michigan base is on the other side of the state.

I believe there is Phillipa Humphreys, she rides Upper level, she is located in Rockford, I have not ridden with her but had a friend who did and really got a lot out of it. No first hand experience however.

PS, HighJumpin, feel free to contact me via PM or email (delta_wave"at"yahoo) if I can help you out in any way–there is also a FB page called Grand Rapids Area Equestrian Network if you want to make some contacts that way. :slight_smile:

Erika is a childhood friend and our education is thus similar, and I would second everything delta wave said. Had a touch with the horses since she was a teen.

Cathy Henderson is excellent, but might be farther than you want to travel if you’re on the SW side. (She’s in Dexter, MI, near Ann Arbor, at Cobblestone.) However, do check the Cobblestone website from time to time for clinics even if you don’t train there regularly. Just in the year and a half I’ve been there, we’ve had Bruce Mandeville at least 3 times, Dorothy Crowell at least twice, Sinead Halpin, Mary D’arcy twice . . . and probably others that I’m forgetting.

My sister and niece train with Phillipa and love her, nice facility too.

Thank you all for your feedback and responses! I am looking forward to meeting some of these trainers. Deltawave, Erika sounds like the type of trainer I appreciate, no “head patting” and no screaming either. I have learned to make the most of all lessons and clinics with any teaching style, but some styles are more challenging. If anyone has any more info about Phillipa or Robin, I would love to hear about your experiences.

If you are around for Richland Park HT, come find Great Lakes Equestrian’s barn. Erika will be there–baby in tow by then–with a large crew.

A few of us are going to Hunters Run, no Erika (that’s her due date) but if you want to come say hi look for the middle-aged lady on the very loud black/white pinto flopping around at Training level. :smiley:

Thanks deltawave!

[QUOTE=deltawave;7100527]
If you are around for Richland Park HT, come find Great Lakes Equestrian’s barn. Erika will be there–baby in tow by then–with a large crew.

A few of us are going to Hunters Run, no Erika (that’s her due date) but if you want to come say hi look for the middle-aged lady on the very loud black/white pinto flopping around at Training level. :D[/QUOTE]
Flopping Around… Yeah, Right! LOL :smiley: