Unlimited access >

Tell me about pin firing/freeze firing

[QUOTE=moore4sure;7125226]
Also just from a couple comments. I have nerver heard of pin or freeze firing done to a tendon on a horse…ever…is that something that has ever been done???[/QUOTE]

It’s been done probably about a million and a half times. It used to be one of the common treatments for tendon injuries.

[QUOTE=bluebuckets;7125199]Now, I’m just commenting, OP, so don’t get all jumpy :wink:

The idea could work, but I feel as though the same results could be achieved with a DMSO/Furazone/? cocktail under a plastic wrap under a standing. Doesn’t require an expert vet, doesn’t require the extremely laborious and tedious aftercare, same result. ;)[/QUOTE]

No, the same result isn’t achieved because it’s two different mechanisms of “healing.” While a DMSO sweat can be topically irritating to the skin, it’s not anywhere near the strength of a blister (which is more similar to firing). Although if it were me, I’d be more inclined to treat my horse with a DMSO sweat and time over firing.

Like Bluey said it was pretty standard practice when I was at the track too. I watched it being done once. Pretty nasty. The theory as explained to me was it turned a “chronic” condition into an “acute” condition with made it easier to treat.

I didn’t think anyone did it anymore.

moore4sure. I’ve only seen it done on tendon injuries.

With the technology of shockwave, stem cell treatment, etc, I can’t believe anyone would even consider pin firing anymore.
The article the OP linked from The Horse was 13 yrs old. We’ve developed a lot of newer more effective treatments in 13 yrs.

[QUOTE=michaleenflynn;7120595]
Thanx Bluey. Yes, the way I understand it, the aftercare is tricky, but I never heard that it was intolerable or even very painful and bothersome to the horse, interesting (and off-putting), but I have to wonder if it is because it wasn’t tended to properly. Wonder what the aftercare of freeze firing is like.

BTW, Bluey - I have read that some polo folks blister their horses at the end of every season - whether they need it or not. What is that about?[/QUOTE]

I know no polo people who blister their horses legs.

Austrailia Animal Welfare seems to disagree that it works. Vets are as resistant to change and new ideas as the rest of us.

http://www.gungahlinvet.com.au/petcare-info/publications/the-firing-of-horses.pdf

ETA: The article includes study information as well.

Thanks I haven seen numerous pinfired shins but have never seen a pinfired tendon. I guess tendons obviously went out first.

The real problem with pin firing and freeze firing is that they are done to treat bucked shins - the treatment is done to the skin and the problem is microfractures from the remodelling bone. The dorsal cannon bone has to remodel in racehorses since it is not strong enough for the stresses put on it in racing.

There is some evidence (from Penn, I think) that exercises at high speed over short distances (in small doses) protects against bucked shins while long gallops promote them (in young racehorses). I think the recommendation was to work up from short breezes every 7-10 days to three times weekly.

Treatment for bucked shins would be rest, analgesics, +/- shock wave. Sometimes you can have the bone drilled (with appropriate analgesia/anesthesia) to promote the proper remodelling.

I’ve heard the whole firing thing is a smoke screen that forces them to rest the horse; which is what really cures the condition.

Pretty archaic, now; that said, there are at least 3 in my retiree herd who show the marks. So someone’s still doing it somewhere . . . :no:

I really thought it was a practice of the past, but this last week I went to look at a 3 yr old fresh off the track (California) and I was surprised to see that it had been pin fired on both shins. I went home and did some reading up on it, and the recent articles have said that it’s the enforced rest after the firing that heals - not the firing itself.