Unlimited access >

Tell me how old you are

And when you got a new OTTB that needed some weight, you did the same thing. Literally dumped an 80-pound bag of the stuff in a trash can in the stall. And then replaced it when they ate it all.

6 Likes

There were two different places I showed as a kid where you started the course in the ring, jumped out over a panel, went around the outside course, and jumped back into the ring to finish.

6 Likes

That was Flintridge, in the Jimmy Williams/Anne Kursinski/Susie Hutchinson era. And about the same time I’d be jumping out of the arena onto the outside course, a helicopter would either take off or land from JPL across the street. Fun times! :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Feeding oats. Plain oats.

7 Likes

Even the hunter flat (under saddle) class was on the outside course. The ring was only used for equitation classes.

5 Likes

I used to work with Scott Hutchinson, Susie’s brother. Man, he was hot! He and I were good friends though and hung out a lot together.

*This is a fun thread! The memories are great. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I still do.
& Have for the 18yrs I’ve had horses at home.
Only the mini gets TC Sr, because… Founder :expressionless:

Had horses tube-wormed until 2000.
Rotated pastewormers every 6 weeks.

I remember breeches were cotton twill (often bought from Army Surplus stores) & buttoned below the knee & down the calf.
Hard little buttons that left imprints on your calves. :expressionless:
Huntcoats were wool. Black wool.
Cool kids had Madras plaid ones for Summer.
They also had canvas Newmarket boots.
I had OTR black Dehner tall boots.
I was not Cool :sleepy:

Blankets were godawful heavy canvas with scratchy wool lining or Bakers.
You wrapped legs with flannel, safety-pinned in place.
Teacher (we didn’t call them trainers) judged your grooming skill by how many perfect rings of scurf you knocked off your metal currycomb onto the floor on each side of the horse being groomed.
IIRC, the Magic Number was 12 per side :persevere:

I sold a beaver coat to buy my Stubben Portos A/P from Dover. On sale for $600. In 1985.
Showed Hunters in it to the sneering disdain of the Princesses. Won EOY Reserve in 1990 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Donated it to a theraputic riding program last year.

3 Likes

We travel to horse shows in the bed of the trainers truck.

8 Likes

This sounds like an A+ Halloween costume idea…

2 Likes

Unapproved helmets, high waisted side zip TS, pull on boots, Navajo pads, loud patterned shirts with monograms, and small food carts at shows with delicious egg and cheese sandwiches or cup of noodles at any time of the day. I miss it :blush:

7 Likes

Hay was 35$ a trim was 15$ alfalfa 3 twine was 12$. Boarding was 165 with stall an indoor. And a lesson was 12.

I still have a pair of my white Harry Hall show breeches. And my last horse died three years ago at 38, so many years past his showing days.:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Those were fun. At my home barn, we also had a stone wall to jump out of the ring to the outside course. I think that’s why I took up eventing in my 20s. I missed the outside courses.:grin:

3 Likes

They also did that at Foxfield (but without the helicopter, so obviously not as much fun as you had).:smile:

2 Likes

Breeches were for horse show only. Every day was chaps and customs with beading and fringe was the dream. Hunt caps were for horse shows or jumping. No one wore a hunt cap flatting.

X-rays were developed in open trays of chemicals in a darkroom. And the vet diagnosed and checked the healing progress of your horse’s suspensory/tendon by squeezing it with his fingers. His fingers. Female vets were rare.

4 Likes

I am in the same age bracket as many here with:

Navajo pads
PDN saddles (though I’ll get a bit more specific and say that Pessoa was all the rage in my pony ring which made my Stubben Rex look totally uncool).
Clear plastic harnesses (which made my mushroom bubble helmet also totally uncool).
Full chaps, Journeymen’s if you were lucky (over your spandex shorts in the summertime!).
Every horse got sweet feed rocket fuel.
Green beige tailored sportsmans.
Rust breeches with green coats (the XMas tree look!).

The one I miss most: You could trailer into Upperville for the day and park it right by the pony ring no problem.

3 Likes

In 1969 a PDN was $165, fittings included.

I noticed Anne Kursinski mentioned in the thread. Her sister Lisa was a talented rider and clinician. Chaps were allowed but those paddock boots had better be shined or you’d be dismissed.

Marshall Gray, Lendon’s sister, was an eventing phenom. U.S. eventing was a force to be reckoned with under LeGoff.

2 Likes

@AAHunterGal, the day I figured out that you could wear jean shorts beneath full chaps … heaven. TRY THAT, HALF-CHAP GROUPIES!

12 Likes

When a NZ turn out rug was cutting edge technology…

19 Likes

Kaufman Co paper catalog in the mail, black and white, no photo illustrations. Use to outfit my mythical horse and self with ALL the supplies. Sometimes added up to over $1,000 !

8 Likes