Unlimited access >

Tell me how old you are

I was a teenager when GPA (aka skunk stripe helmets) were all the rage. We still wore colored show shirts and I had a tan hunt coat. Beval saddlery was still quality and I showed in the hunters in just a half pad.

3 Likes

Full chaps and duck boots

14 Likes

What happened to colored show shirts and monogrammed chokers? It appears everything is white now, with no customization. Is that because of the rise in tech fabric, with white as the standard and embroidery difficult on such stretchy fabric? When I left riding 20-plus years ago, everyone was wearing beautiful custom shirts in the prettiest, most subtle patterns.

5 Likes

My TB was both my junior hunter and my eq horse … and we were competitive. First saddle was a PDN. By the time I aged out it was a coveted Pessoa Jubilee. Clear helmet harnesses, puke green high-waisted TS for showing. Custom Vogels and full chaps (with fringe!) are still the best Xmas presents I’ve ever received.

4 Likes

And the vet might have to come back the next day to try again if the X-rays did not turn out. Lol.

6 Likes

And there were a finite number of plates so you had to decide which shots were the most important.

6 Likes

I still remember the first time I crossed paths with a very well known vet to do a pre-purchase exam on a horse at the barn. I could not believe how many bags of plates he brought in, and then how quickly he got through them.

When I saw all those plates, I thought I was going to be there all day, but he was fast as lightning. Lol.

2 Likes

You still can for the Connemara classes on Sunday.

1 Like

New Zealand turnout rugs were da bomb! For $100 you could have one too. Weighed the same amount as two bales of hay and when wet, needed a crane. to lift them!

My first saddle was a second hand Beval Gladstone if memory serves. Flat as a pancake. It fit my TB well enough and used it until I moved out west and sold it to a friend when I went back to western riding. She used it on her warmblood so kind of surprised it worked for him, being a big Swedish guy.

Crocheted pommel pads, everyone used them.
Not so old but gladly gone - puke green TS
I wrapped with flannels and safety pins for years until velcro came out. I held onto my set of flannels until they fell apart.
I still have a set of pillow wraps from The Saddler in Wilton, CT and use them from time to time as needed. They must be close to 45 years old by now.

5 Likes

But did you ever longe at Devon?

(Sorry. Couldn’t resist). :rofl:

4 Likes

When you rode your junior hunter in the equitation. There were no eq horses.

6 Likes

Ok, but that only applies to a very very small number of folks, whereas before anyone could in any division.

I still show in just a half pad! In fact, you can see it in my profile picture hahahahaha

3 Likes

I do still like the look and I wish it was more commonplace these days.

2 Likes

We called it " All In One" and the feed of choice was COB also came in burlap sacks…

1 Like

I came across one in a bag of spare wraps a couple of years ago. I don’t know if I have a full set, though.

I have to say, I think I only ever actually set foot in that tack shop one time, although I saw their ads in the Chronicle for years and years and years.

And on my one visit, I signed up for their mailing list, which asked for my date of birth. And for years, I would receive some little knickknack gift from them on my birthday. That was impressive.

I also think I bought a leather bracelet with my horse’s nameplate on it from them, if I recall correctly.

6 Likes

That’s what I came to say.

Also, elastic chin straps with the really big chin cup on helmets that were little more than carboard

Yes lawd

String english girths that I think were made of some sort of hair???

3 Likes

I know, right? I still have a closet full of mine and if they ever fit again, I assure you, they will get used again. Even my new tech shirts have something on the throat, although I’ve kinda gone to symbols vs monogram. One has nautical trim inside, so has an anchor on the collar, etc

1 Like

Mohair?

5 Likes

Remember counting the growing pile of plates and trying to guesstimate the bill?

My other vet memory is that the vet would ask to use the phone soon upon arrival so they could call the office. And then occasionally they’d apologize and dash right out bc there was an emergency.

3 Likes