Unlimited access >

Tell me your experiences during and after horse in quarantine

My horse is in quarantine recovering from salmonellosis. He was hospitalized April 21 for two weeks, nearly died.
I am doing 100% self care at a place 30 minutes drive, twice a day. But (assuming newest fecal samples still test positive) I am moving him to a place which will be able to provide some support next week.
He’s completely lost all muscle tone (we were doing 2L dressage), and has a thrombophlebitis and still super sensitive GI with randoms gas colics. He has what we think are dust allergies (barn is SUPER dusty) and so breathes weird. But has been checked by my vet several times (heart lungs clear, latest CBC was all WNL).

I worry all the time.

LSS: looking for some experiences recovering after something like this. Long rehabs, the anxiety, sleeplessness.
Also ways to help him chillax that are not magnesium based. Currently using an equine pheromone product that seems to help.

OP, I am so sorry you’re going through this. I just finished a 7 week quarantine with my horse though candidly it was not as serious nor with nearly the complications that you describe. Here’s what I learned- mental stimulation is your friend, toys, puzzles, and target/clicker training that can be done in his stall are great ways to break up the boredom. Massage helps keep their muscles moving- I used a percussion gun to do quick sessions, one that could be easily sanitized after each use. If possible, hand walk as much as you can- starting with 15 minutes a time and building up if he has been in a stall for the last few weeks. Also this is the time to ask your vet about longer term sedatives for your horse if that is an option, this is a “better living through chemistry” scenario if ever there was one.

As for you- remember to focus on your mental health too and try to get sleep in. I think you’re smart to move him somewhere where you can get some support if he’s still positive. Talk to a doctor if you need to, be kind to yourself.

Good luck with your horses recovery!!

3 Likes

I have used Prozac for confined horses. It is not a sedative and doesn’t have GI side effects. Can help with anxiety type behaviors.

Given the confinement and dusty conditions, you might want to look into a hay steamer (if he’s eating long stem forage, and it also softens the hay) and hypoallergenic, no dust bedding like cardboard, paper, or hemp. Plus a different barn setup in general. Would the new place provide a window or anything? Also interaction more than 2x a day should help.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.
We’re in a new place over moved into Saturday. Separated from direct contact with other horses but he can see and hear them (within the same barn but opposite end). I know this is helping him. Plus BM/O lives onsite. She feeds super late and checks in on my guy. I know this will help me.
We’ve started a full ulcer treatment with GG, sucralfate, and misoprostol. And added Metamucil.
Still on 1/3 G bute twice day. If late I see him start to be uncomfortable. :woozy_face:
He’s a bit slowe
But he’s more motivated to walk and move.
Not looking forward to 5 straight days of bad weather. But just happy to be in a better place.