Temp is different when horse is laying down?

It’s Potomac season here so we are temping everyone 2x a day. I’ll admit I’m a little lax about it during the winter months. Recently we have noticed that if a horse is laying down when they are temped, there can be as much as a +/- 2 degree different in their rectal temp! If they stand up, there is an immediate difference in temperature.

Is our thermometer going bad? Is this a known phenomenon that I just don’t know about?

Really interesting.

I’ve never heard this but it makes sense. If the ground is cool and the horse is relaxed I could see temperature falling (like cats or dogs stretched out in the basement floor). But I also have observed in myself that my body temperature can rise when I sleep, especially in winter when I’m a bit chilly. A nap can warm me up.

That is really interesting and I agree it makes sense given temperature regulation while asleep - how rude being poked while you’re asleep! ( :joy: ) Don’t forget it is also normal for horses to have a higher temperature later on in the day.

This is pretty normal. I don’t know if it’s positional or just changes in metabolic rate, but a lot of horses are like this. It also usually increases while they are eating their meal v. just hanging out in the stall.

As long as it’s not up over normal without a reason (like exercise), you’re good. :slight_smile:

We had a foal last night that was 102.6 and as soon as he stood up went to 100.2. That’s the largest jump I’ve ever seen and threw me for a loop.

Definitely seen that with foals! Their temp can really swing.

And even 102.6F isn’t particularly concerning for a foal. If the foal was warm and the ground/bedding was warm and retaining their body heat, it’s very plausible.

Of course, that doesn’t stop the momentary panic and the repeated taking of their temperature until you are SURE you can stop worrying. :rofl:

For sure - this guy hasn’t been the healthiest since birth and Potomac is really making the rounds in our area so it gave me a bit of a panic. :joy:

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you at that’s having so much PHF activity? (Feel free to just give a region or shoot me a PM)

I only ask because I live in a swamp and am constantly slightly terrified by the number of aquatic insects my horses coexist with. I hadn’t heard about any cases locally this year… yet…

1 Like

N. Indiana.

My vet also said that they are seeing zero difference in vaccinated vs. unvaccinated horses this year. As in, both groups are dying despite prompt treatment.

3 Likes

Thanks! And sending lots of jingles that you remain unaffected. It’s extra concerning that mortality has been so high.

2 Likes

That is terrifying. Big fat jingles for you (and everyone in that area).

Lol guess that’s one way to get them up :joy:

1 Like