Unlimited access >

Temperature changes

A medium weight on an inactive horse with a full coat with temps in the 40s is rarely going to be too warm, it’s never too warm for my unclipped horses even if it’s sunny.

Personally, I’d put medium weights on, as a few hours of single digits with a sheet that doesn’t provide any warmth, and may remove some warmth, may be really uncomfortable

I got everyone groomed and blanketed, low 20’s now and dropping. It was a warm 40 degrees today, so I took off blankets for some fresh air. Of course they decided to roll in the one muddy spot in their pasture. Freakin horses, next time they are going out in sheets.

Had to tie the big barn doors shut, the wind is extra ferocious tonight. Cleaned out the water trough, since Sunday is my normal day to dump and scrub. Got a couple extra water tanks ready to fill for water storage.

I’m not worried about the snow even though they are calling for 9-12 inches in my area, just the wind and ice. That’s when my area has a tendency to loose power plus horses stuck inside if everything is a sheet of ice. Then we drown in the mud.

Yep the ice is just the worst. Some areas around us could get up to 1/2" of ice, and we are potentially in that area, it’s all hinging on exactly when temps change. Not fun at all. The horses are definitely coming in tonight though, because 30mph snow isn’t fun for anyone.

1 Like

I’m off to hustle in the barn. I’m hoping to get the sacrifice paddock squeaky clean before the rain comes. Need to tidy up anything that might get blown around in the winds as well.

Here, we’re expecting some relatively cold overnight lows a few days. I saw a 27 in the forecast. I’m worried about blanketing for that. I don’t own any heavy weight blankets. Just mediums and lighter. Guess I’ll be trying my hand at layering blankets? Maybe. I dunno. My horses have no hair; slick as seals the both of them.

Layers are great! A light and a medium make a heavy, and if I recall that you’re in FL, your horses would probably like that for 27 degrees. :slight_smile: The RealFeel for us last night was around 8 and my horse was wearing a 100gm and his heavyweight with a hood. He was probably more comfortable than I was. I decided to go for a run in that…

I don’t mind the weather itself, I mind the wild swings. No chance to get acclimated to anything.

1 Like

Yes! We’re in FL! So we are a little traumatized by freezing temps. I’ve not done layers previously but looks like we’ll be giving it a go.

Running? In those temps? I’m not sure if I should be impressed or horrified :rofl: Either way I agree horsie was likely comfier.

1 Like

Not a TB, but my senior WB went head over heels in turnout and we got it on video. :rofl: First day out after 4 weeks of stall rest for a wound that required sutures (which he busted open halfway through stall rest). 6 tabs of Ace. Still went bucking and galloping across the pasture in the snow. Tried to stop, nearly slid into the fence, and just absolutely wiped out. I almost had a heart attack.

Ouch. That’s painful temps for Florida.

Supposed to start here around 1 pm on Sunday until Monday morning so left everyone out in heavy blankets.

I do need to get some blanket liners for the single digit temps. Even the heavy isn’t quite enough for one of mine. He’s not shivering and still warm under his blanket, but you can tell by his behavior he needs a little bit more.

Thankfully have a few days to brace myself lol.

It rained until 1030 or so tonight, now winds shifting and will be blowing out of the N at 20 mph or so the rest of the night and tomorrow. Was 66 today, 36 at dawn. No severe thunderstorms at least. I kept mine up from dinner at 630 until it quit raining then changed blankets and kicked them out.

I’d need a liner under my heavy coat in single digit temps too. Hopefully you won’t get too much ice or lose power or any other dreadful thing.

I was just browsing some blankets online. Some of those Rambo bundles looking good right now :eyes:.

Finally looks like we’re gonna get consecutive freezing nights here next weekend, but first 70s again Wednesday :woman_shrugging:t2:

Overnight tonight, it’s going to range from a real feel of 8 and no precipitation, through 15 and snow, to 21 and freezing rain.

Sheesh. In Rambo We Trust.

2 Likes

I feel your pain. I don’t generally blanket much but now I have a farm full of senior horses and I know that I need to blanket like crazy when the weather changes. I feel like I’m switching layers constantly!

1 Like

Well that’s terrible. 21 and raining. Eww.

Pray to the waterproofing gods.

1 Like

I’ve been more particular with my blanket than I’ve really ever been before. The upside is that the horses seem to appreciate it and it’s mostly kept their coats short enough so they don’t heat stroke out on the random 70/80 days. The downside is I’ve got blankets everywhere.

I wish used blanket sales were a thing near me. I’d really like to try one of these Rambos on my horse without having to pony up full price for new.

i bought 7 blankets because of conversations here on COTH…have never in my life blanketed a horse of mine until i blanketed my two older mares, and tomorrow is going to be the first time i use the other five of the blankets. I’m pretty excited about blanketing some of my horses. Today it was 58 degrees. Tomorrow night it will be 5 degrees. Talk about mood-swings!

Three or four of them are Rhinos…the rest are some other brand. Bought those on after christmas sales

4 Likes

I’m getting tired of it, y’all! I dragged out my mare’s super-heavy Rambo Supreme for early last week… then again for Saturday, and now it looks like she’ll need it later this week. In between, we’ve gotten highs in the 40s. 13 overnight tonight, high of 45 tomorrow, overnight low of 6 on Thursday, and then well below freezing for the week following. We have slick ice, slick mud, or a combo of both.

3 Likes

i hate it when you have to use a pickax to free up a gate. Freezing is fine as long as it stays that way, but when it gets all muddy and eats wheelbarrows and truck tires and buckets …it’s a pain in the butt.

1 Like

66 tomorrow, high of 41 with rain on Friday and low of 27 Sunday morning.

Rumors of Ice! and Snow!

Folks will inevitably be buying up all the milk and bread. Why I don’t know, any ice or snow is unlikely to last more than a few hours.

Me? I’ve been obsessively cleaning my barn. I’m not sure how that’s going to help with cold weather? Definitely don’t have the same urge to clean my house.

2 Likes

It’s like playing dress up but way better

1 Like

i sort of color-coordinated my crew. berry, salmon, blues, purple and gray and black. My royal guy, Midas…the golden one, will be wearing purple. I’m not outfitting the mules nor the Percheron…yet.

2 Likes

I like color coordinating too. One of mine is purple and the other is turquoise, but I hade to break ranks for blankets lol.

You’ll have a colorful barnyard. Like a field of flowers. But hungrier.

4 Likes