Unlimited access >

Tex tan serial number on saddle

I just bought an older Tex Tan Hereford saddle that has numbers on the left fender near the blevins buckle that from what I can tell look like
761i directly underneath it says
16-45078 then on the back of the cinch holder up near the swell there’s a set of numbers that say either D8 or 08 with a dash- 3602 or 8602. The saddle is in good condition besides the seat being stained but where the numbers were stamped the leather is worn.I am tryingto figure out the year and type of saddleit it is, it also says made in USA. It would only allow me one pic

I have a Hereford Tex Tan saddle with the same style serial # and model #. Unfortunately, the email that was given to me years ago with the Action Company no longer exists. We may have to contact the Action Company to get answers.

I am enclosing a link to help you get started. I bought an older TexTan Hereford saddle last year. Its numbers were the 1) model number, 2) year/date (mine was 1279–built in December 1979), and 3) serial number (the number out of total made, like 115 out of 2500).

Now, your numbers are NOT set up like mine. But I think the link where I learned to “read” mine is out there, somewhere. I will try to find it for you later—it was very useful.

But for a start, read the original question and the replies:

I also have numbers on the cinch holder tag, hard to read and after those numbers it says made in USA. You would think we could just reach out to tex tan hereford company? I just want to know what type of saddle I bought, how old it is etc…I guess the hunt is on!

1 Like

Tex Tan was purchased from Action in 2020 by these guys.

https://textan.net/history

1 Like

A couple more articles. https://equinedesire.com/tex-tan-hereford-saddle-serial-number/

If you scroll way down on their website’s home page, you’ll find this exerpt:

PLEASE NOTE THAT SERIAL NUMBER CODES WERE NOT SHARED OVER THE YEARS BETWEEN ENTITIES THAT OWNED TEX TAN. THAT BEING SAID IF YOU WANT INFORMATION ON YOUR SADDLE 'YOU MUST SEND PICTURES OF IT TO JIMNWESTERN1@AOL.COM AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO DATE IT AND GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT IT COULD BE WORTH. THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES OF VALUE BETWEEN AREAS. SOME SADDLES MAY BE WORTH MORE IN YOUR AREA THAN AREAS WE ARE MORE FAMILIAR WITH CLOSER TO OUR HOME BASE IN OHIO.

1 Like