The 25 best horse movies and then some!

Mill Reef : Movies & TV - Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Mill-Reef/dp/B002R59OVW

Amazon uk had it too I think
Correction that is the UK one…

3 Likes

Is this it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52NGbNrphDw

1 Like

You should read the book “Comanche” which is the real story. Comanche hated Indians and never belonged to the Sioux tribe. He was devoted to his owner/rider - Captain Keough who died at Little Big Horn.

3 Likes

Thank you! That was it, and I enjoyed it so much!

Please do!

Happy Birthday!

Surprising decent. As in decent riding over decent sized fences. A Sunday Horse. A based on true about show jumper Debi Waldon. Anyone familiar with the real story?

Sylvester with Melissa Gilbert was pretty good. I think it was produced by the publishers of Practical Horseman as that magazine is referenced several times. I always wondered how an owner of a tack/feed store in a podunk Texas town would know so much about what tack is needed to compete in 3 day eventing.

2 Likes

HAPPY BELATED! :partying_face:

I found the list linked filled with a lot of shmaltzy movies hard to stomach for IRL horsepeeps :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Spirit? Horses with eyebrows? :roll_eyes:
Hidalgo? Count the # of paints used… :unamused:

OTOH:
Into the West :+1:
Phar Lap :ok_hand:
Champions :sleepy:
ORIGINAL National Velvet, while it strayed a bit from the book, still satisfying.

One I saw decades ago & would love to have in some form to rewatch:
Mazeppa - an artist travels with a circus to study horses he wants to paint.
Memorable to me for a scene where a rider passages across a courtyard, supposedly taking most of a day to do so.
Yes, fictional, but still fun to watch :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I was trying to think of the name of the movie with Melissa Gilbert. Thanks for coming up with it.
I really enjoyed the book and movie.

1 Like

The donkey movie, EO…
It was very good, but sometimes hard to watch.

2 Likes

I can’t belive nobody mentioned “The Horse With the Flying Tail”

3 Likes

Love Sylvester!

I lent my book copy to my cousin, never to be returned. IIRC Kim Severson consulted, and doubled with the ever aweeome Grey Goose, so yes, many accuracy for the time.

1 Like

Gypsy Colt runs on TCM from time to time. That’s where I first saw it. It’s a horse version of Lassie Come Home. I appreciated the realism of how a horse is treated. Also, it doesn’t die at the end!

If you haven’t seen it in a while, there’s a pretty shocking attempted rape scene in the movie. I don’t know how it got a PG rating.

Not Kim Severson, Kim Walness.

Thanks for the correction! Not sure where my brain was. It is super obvious in the XC water complex. You can see the pony tail when “Charlie” has short hair .

1 Like

Just added it to the blog!

Added it to my blog, thanks!