The 25 best horse movies and then some!

I was trolling this forum for horse movies, and then thought I should just ask! Did I miss any? I am adding as I get suggestions…

2 Likes

A great, comprehensive list! Ride Like a Girl is worth the watch.

1 Like

missed Unbranded 2015 movie that follows four men and sixteen mustangs on an epic 3,000-mile journey from Mexico to Canada through the American West to inspire adoptions for the
Mustangs

And… In Pursuit of Honor a 1995 movie about a member of a United States Cavalry detachment refusing to slaughter its horses after being ordered to do so by General Douglas MacArthur. The movie follows the plight of the officers as they attempt to save the animals that the Army no longer needs as it modernizes toward a mechanized military. The movie claims to be based on a true story

3 Likes

Blue Fire Lady if you can find it.
Something to Talk About.
Horsemasters ( Disney)
Ride a Wild Pony Disney but based on a novel
“A Sporting Proposition” not a kids book but a very good read.

1 Like

The Irish film, Into the West.

6 Likes

The Long Shot about a woman doing dressage whose horse goes blind
It’s cute. Cheezy but cute.

2 Likes

Wild Horse Hank with Linda Blair

1 Like

I don’t think I saw Disney’s “The Horsemasters” on the list. It’s available on YouTube.

Or another Disney movie, “Tonka.”

4 Likes

Trailer for those those who may be interested.(The ubiquitous 90s narrarator!)

The film is an interesting juxtaposition of myth and modernity: the horse as agent of fate.

And, of course, Andalusian horses!

greys

4 Likes

The Horse in The Grey Flannel Suit :heart:

My daughter (a writer/journalist) is finishing up a humorous piece on the movie, complete with photos taken from it – her first draft was hilarious! Today is my birthday, and this will be my gift. I would be happy to share it here :blush:

14 Likes

I would love to see that!

2 Likes

All the Queen’s Horses times two.

One is the documentary about the woman who embezzled $54 million from her town job in Illinois to buy and show quarter horses.

The other is a look at the horses that were owned by Queen Elizabeth. I haven’t watched the second one yet.

Both available on Amazon, I believe.

4 Likes

Happy Birthday!!

1 Like

Happy birthday!:gift::tada::birthday:

1 Like

I forgot to add— I got The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit for Christmas. Love it!

2 Likes

50 to 1, the so-bad-it-is-good story of real life Kentucky Derby winner, Mine That Bird.

It’s so awful you can’t even be mad that you watched it. Kind of like Mine That Bird’s actual derby win.

5 Likes

Jappaloup has to be on this list! It’s streaming on Prime right now. One of the best horse movies I’ve seen in terms of good riding and gorgous horses. And it’s a true story!

2 Likes

Lean On Pete. They did a good job making it realistic. It surprised me in an unpleasant way.

1 Like

Shergar. Great Irish horse movie with a better ending than what actually happened.

3 Likes

Has anyone ever seen the Mill Reef movie? Something to Brighten the Morning? I have been trying to find it for years.

3 Likes