Unlimited access >

The Anky thread that has nothing to do with anything but has a whole lot to say about alot

So off I went to Spruce Meadows to watch Anky do her demos on Junior. I have to say that he is a nice horse but he didn’t blow my mind. VERY obedient and looks happy in his work. He took all of the big jumps that were in his way in stride and had a good look at the big crowd.

To those of you wondering, yes, Anky did all of the movements with a very deep neck on Junior. Even his piaffe was done very deep and I think (in my most humble opinion) he could have lowered his croup a bit more if she had allowed his poll to come up a bit more.

The best thing about Anky though was that she speaks so well to the crowd. The people that generally go to Spruce Meadows are a mixture of families wanting to see pretty horses jump, to those who are fairly educated in the sport of show jumping, to riders in the area that one day aspire to be in that big ring. Anky wowed all of these people with her humour and charisma. If nothing else I think it is great for dressage to gain public recognitian, maybe next time we approach a prospective sponsor they will have heard of the sport called dressage.

[This message was edited by cortez on Oct. 12, 2001 at 06:17 PM.]

[This message was edited by cortez on Dec. 10, 2001 at 10:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by cortez on Dec. 10, 2001 at 10:29 AM.]

[This message was edited by cortez on Aug. 13, 2002 at 09:50 AM.]

I think she must have done something right in the past several years to have won several major world competitions. I always have found her a pleasure to watch. She was always in perfect harmony with Bonfire, although I always felt that he moved with way too much knee action, looked like a Hackney pulling a carrage. I really loved watching Isabell and Gigolo. They looked like they were in their own world in front of those huge crowds. Just my humble, dont know that much about Dressage opinion. Other than the Dressage we manage to do to survive at our events,

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Of course, you can’t have perfection at this stage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What sort of a DQ are you? Shame on you for tarnishing your tiara!!!

I have to respectfully disagree with you on one point. I have been involved in dressage for about 14 years, and the majority of people that I have worked with and have known, are very dedicated to riding dressage correctly, no matter how long it takes! The people who aren’t, usually don’t stick around for long. I can think of no one in my barn that gets impatient to do the fun stuff! Heck, a 10 meter circle, when done correctly can be fun! What about a correctly done trot lengthening, or a great leg yield? To me, getting these basics down and executed CORRECTLY is a great thrill. Why? Because I know it’s done right, and it’ll just make the fancy stuff even fancier! I can think of MANY riders who are difficult or near impossible to teach because they have the attitude that they already know what your trying to tell them. Or, they will say that they are doing something when in reality, they are not…These are the riders that I have a hard time with. Not the impatient ones, as they’re here and gone too quickly.

Maybe different trainers attract different types of people, but the people that come to my trainer, are dedicated riders who really could care less how long the process takes as long as they learn the correct way to train and ride their horse.

You won’t be saying that when California’s trying to buy our water!

http://communities.msn.ca/KristinSaunders/PhotoAlbums

deliberately chartreuse!!!

I’m just green with envy. chuckle

I thought the Anky article was interesting - hands no legs, legs no hands. Put me in the mind of some of Kyra’s “stop and go” approach.

I’m still trying to decide if “unbeatable tank girl” lost (or added) something in the translation

semantics! This conversation could on for weeks and we’d all be saying the same thing in different terms.

http://communities.msn.ca/KristinSaunders/PhotoAlbums

Go, Monica. Use those words! I’m still looking for some more fun and interestingly obscure ones to add to my lexicon.

From John Richard Young-

“This flexion of the poll, with the ‘break’ occurring just behind the ears, is a very different reaction than the fault of arching the entire neck. In arching the entire neck the horse brings his head in low nearer his breast. Since this necessitates lowering his head, the horse shifts more weight onto his forehand; he thus becomes heavy in front, which is the exact opposite of the balanced lightness flexion seeks to achieve.”

That would explain the lack of lowered croups as well as the pervasive “double-dipping” (making TWO beats with each hind foot for each forefoot beat in the piaffer and yes, even in the passage) exhibited by World Cup horses.

So there you go. Totally behind you in this one, Velvet!

or as my old (first) hunt-seat teacher said, “Everybody wants to jump, nobody wants to learn how to RIDE!”

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr Horsefeathers:
Now there are those who simply love to watch the flopping and bouncing. Some love the actual process for anatomical reasons. We call them men. .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn’t that what Baywatch is for?? Run Yasmine Run!!!

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

i think the last photo shows a horse that has his hind legs a mile wide apart making some sort of trot, and is very incorrect too. it is a very bad example.

suzy has been caught!!

Maria and Velvet are off to do a happy dance

It’s all about ME, ME, ME!!! (The only signature worthy of a real DQ.)

nm

And I would have to grow more than “guts” to ride with the jump crew running in the background, with the tractors resetting the jumper course.

Pity these photos are an instant in time, yet we assume every step is taken in this exact frame and contact and that Anky doesn’t have the “courage” to let go of her horse’s face.

Hellooouuu.

Yes we should all aspire to ride so poorly.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

ain’t gonna fly with me. Stirrups wer not a European invention and those that did originate the stirrup rode fairly short. Jumping leaning back on the horse’s flanks was more of the “new” thing than riding short and with the horse. Just because western Europeans created the new leaning back long-stirrup style of jumping a few hundred years back does not make it “classical.” It just proves that some fads take longer to get over than others. s

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kathy Johnson:
<<What men might make up for in “seat” they often lack in feel/timing/tact. This is perhaps why the women can excell riding these hot animals, where perhaps a man might fail at riding them, yet excell at coaching…>>

Wait a minute! Theodorescu was famous for his hot, fancy mare, Cleopatra!

Podhajsky was famous for his hot, non-fancy mare (whose name escapes me)And Neckerman’s mare Venetia was not a saint. And I doubt that anyone in their right mind thinks Dr. Klimke’s Ahlerich was a packer…At the TOP of the heap, the great horsemen are great because they have the whole enchilada-- timing, tact, feel, AND a great seat.
And I dont think this has so much to do with their sex as their sense of self-security and perspective.

<<Timing, tact and feel are very hard to teach. So, it also may be harder for a woman to teach what she excells at: timing, tact and feel, where a man can fairly easily teach the biomechanics of the seat.>>

I think seat biomehanics are equally difficult to teach..and I hardly think the male instructors Ive had had even one atom's more interest in seat and position than the female instructors..I think GREAT instructors decide what the priority of the moment is and find a way to instruct upon that point...weaving in pointers about seat along with the necessary timing patterns. 

What I DO think is that women have had to develop the muscle between their ears because they recognize–and accept–that they are not going to physically overwhelm nearly any horse.

The best horsemen ALL know that,men or women.
But a lot of so-called trainers are just people with long legs who can stay on a horse long enough that the horse gets tired of fighting…

I do not call that training. That is just teaching a horse to be fit and sour. And unrideable for the next person.

cheers

Lita

who is this “suzy” person anyway?
I think I have figured it out.
SLC kidnapped KBG.
You can see a classic example of “prisoner” syndrome as KBG had to grovel at SLC’s feet in several posts, sucking up in such an obsequious manner that the spewing emoticon would surely have been appropos. Now once KBG got over here, he was mistaken for a spy and was not allowed to use his real name, hence the quick sex-change to “suzy”. And now I have confirmation, because Velvet obviously helped in kidnapping one of our ODG’s.
This thread has nothing at all about sex in it either!
Whatsaboogertodo?
Toodles.

Hmmmmmm, lets see, how 'bout rileyt’s wanton desire to become a DQ. So sad really, she just can’t seem to pull it off.

rileyt, now your fly is down.