Unlimited access >

The Comeback Kid! (Edited 1/17/22)

Thanks everyone!

Good news! She gets discharged this evening now that the bleeding is controlled. I haven’t seen the full discharge instructions yet but it sounds like she will have a long stall rest at home.

I guess she had another comeback in her yet.

33 Likes

Yay!!!

Glad to read she is coming home!!!

1 Like

That’s good to hear. Lots of jingles for an uncomplicated recovery

1 Like

GREAT NEWS!!! Continued big fat jingles from the NE.

1 Like

Thanks for the happy update.
Maybe she is part cat and has a few more lives to go? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well that’s encouraging even if she has to recuperate in a stall. Great going Abby!

PS/ Any trees in her overnight paddock? I’ve known 2 horses who went straight into a tree after
dark.

1 Like

Great Friday news !!!

Can hardly wait to see your Mother’s Day bouquet !!! (with medical supplies)

Abby is one tough mare !!! With a wonderful owner !

3 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

I’ve been on pins and needles every time I see an update, and YAY!!

1 Like

She is home. Acting like a maniac when her biggest discharge instruction is to remain calm. Of course. :woman_facepalming:

Official diagnosis: hemoabdomen secondary to splenic trauma/fracture. Because clearly that’s how I thought this would all turn out when I found her “colicking” Tuesday evening.

6 Likes

Good luck. Did the Vet give you sedation options?

1 Like

Yup. Is it helping at the moment? No.

We’ve been here done that a few times with extended stall rest. She’s a nightmare. I tried her in my small paddock (because I was directed to do small paddock if it would keep her calmer) and it was worse. I’ll probably have to drag out some corral panels in the morning and find a location she likes.

2 Likes

Great. :roll_eyes: Hoping you can find a place that she approves. A small “room” with a view.

Of course… :laughing:

what…the…frack

So she may really have been kicked - apparently this can happen with a kick high enough on the left abdominal wall since it’s so close to the ribs

I know this is almost as stressful as having her in the hospital :frowning: Trazodone? Prozac? Good luck!

Already on it.

Last night I kept everyone in with her. When I went to bed, her stall had 4 walls and she had calmed down and was eating hay. When I woke up, I went out there to find her stall had 3 walls. She took out the wall between the aisle and her stall. She couldn’t escape because of how the boards fell. :woman_facepalming:

Now that it’s daylight she’s being civil in the small paddock.

3 Likes

Jingles for this new “medical journey” with Abby. Good thing you two are tough and know one another so well. Daylight & Civil & In Small Paddock are such comforting words. Jingles for the weekend plan.

1 Like

OMG, Abby! I hope the small paddock is the answer going forward, holy cow :open_mouth:

1 Like

Wow, that sounds super stressful! I hope she gets with the program soon. Is it maybe a blessing in disguise that you aren’t also having to move into the new farm in the middle of all this?? Good luck!!! Come on, Abby, pull it together…

1 Like

Very true. But also I keep thinking this would be so much easier to manage at the new farm because of the way it is set up.

2 Likes

My goodness, this is going to be a tough recovery for both of you! I hope the paddock keeps her calm and she doesn’t pull any more shenanigans for awhile.

1 Like