Unlimited access >

The Comeback Kid! (Edited 1/17/22)

Good lord what a terror she is. Tough too! What’s the plan for tonight?

1 Like

I am in absolute, admiring awe of your Abby.

1 Like

I think COTH needs to go in for a full course of Gastrogard…for Texarkana.

Sending good vibes that Abby makes better life choices as she heals.

7 Likes

I hope you and Abby had a very uneventful night last night!

1 Like

Oh no! I just saw this! I’m so glad Abby made it through her hospital stay and at home, where you can keep tabs on her, although I know that has its own set of worries.

Ask me how I know? My teeny tiny JRT/Rat Terrier was hit by an SUV last summer and lived to tell the tale, although it was a close call. He was in the hospital for a week and then I took care of him at home. Five broken ribs and liver/lung lacerations.

Darby is sending his own very special jingles along with mine for Abby to have a very uneventful and speedy recovery. Also jingles for you to find a little rest and relaxation!

2 Likes

Well, Abby got her way. After exhausting every option including increased sedation, playing musical horses so every animal in the farm was in her line of sight, and trying every stall and small paddock option I could, I said a prayer to the horse gods and turned her out. I figured quietly grazing with her friends was better for recovery than literally killing herself on “rest.” If you haven’t figured it out, she is an exceptionally difficult horse at times.

Today went well and she looks like a new horse this evening. You wouldn’t know anything happened if it wasn’t for all the clipped areas. So I’ll keep crossing my fingers and toes she doesn’t do more damage with the increased freedom. I mean, it can’t be that much riskier than the suicidal antics she was pulling in the stall and paddock.

@Displaced_Yankee Please send gastroguard with a side of wine! :rofl:

Poor pup. I’m so glad he pulled through. Animals can be amazing sometimes.

14 Likes

Turn out sounds like the only option. Sending healing thoughts your way.

1 Like

I had one like that, recovering from tie-back surgery. He wasn’t doing himself much good running and screaming (squeaking, actually…) And was quiet and happy with his buddy, so that’s what I did.

1 Like

I’m so happy for your update! Abby is a tough one for sure.
You have to change the title of your topic now, she definitely came back home :blush:

1 Like

In the end you have to treat the animal in front of you. There is nothing good about the ideal stall rest if that’s what’s going to be the death of her. Too many people spend way too much time and energy and cause more damage (or prolong recovery) by staying stuck on “the vet said…”

Fingers crossed this continues to go well!

6 Likes

THIS ^ !!!

4 Likes

Jingles & AO for Abby

Texarkana - you’re doing great !

2 Likes

Don’t you wish sometimes that you could just sideline hobble the unreasonably psycho ones?

But then I have horrible mental images of them ripping a front leg off trying to kick.

Ugh. Abby, you stinker. Hope the road to recovery is smooth from here on out!

1 Like

@endlessclimb hobbling Abby sounds like a good way to get another vet bill. :crazy_face:

She has a wicked kick that only comes out when she is stressed (and never directed at a person intentionally). But she is relentless with the kicking when a situation reaches that point. Watching her kick the wooden walls until they break is still preferable to watching her kick the stone walls of my barn so hard she could break herself. And while I own this horse, I will only own a steel trailer because she also kicks in there.

1 Like

Glad she’s home! Hopefully she’ll stay calm on turnout and heal up.

1 Like

Come visit and I will make you a cocktail that will take your mind off EVERYTHING :rofl:

4 Likes

OMG. Demon. :joy:

So glad she fees good enough to be destructive… :roll_eyes:

Continued jingles and maybe a drink or two for you…

2 Likes

Just want to wish you luck! She sounds like a handful but that you are figuring it out amazingly well!

1 Like

Hopefully the last update:

Abby had her 2 week follow up appointment. She is completely fine. We went from near death internal hemorrhage to as if nothing even happened in two weeks. Just another chapter in Abby’s book. :woman_shrugging:

18 Likes

That is… beyond words! What a fantastic update!

2 Likes