Unlimited access >

The "Correct" 2-Point

Seriously, there are so many different opinions on what the “correct” 2-point should look like. So what is the correct 2-point? What does it look like?! Where should your hands, legs, etc. be, and when? :slight_smile: I really want your opinion on this! Photos of the “ideal” 2-point, mistakes, etc. are welcome and wanted here! :smiley: I’m not saying that I do not know how to 2-point and/or jump, I just want your opinions and thoughts on this…
Thanks,
HunterJumper<3

I’d say this is about as correct as it gets. :lol:

Look Up Jacob Pope, IMHO he always looks pretty close to perfect.

via George Morris:
“two point contact lifts the rider’s weight off the horse’s back and puts it down into his heels and stirrups… at this moment, the two nominal points of contact between horse and rider are the rider’s legs.”

“Three point contact, the position used for most riding situations at normal paces, is distinguished by contact between the horse and rider through the weight of the seat as well as both legs, hence, three points of contact.”

another explanation:
http://www.horsechannel.com/english-horse-training/master-two-point-position.aspx

IMHO there really shouldn’t be “many opinions” because a balanced two point is a balanced two point. Either your feet are under your hips with heels down or they aren’t. Either you bend at the hips and your back is flat or it isn’t. Either your hands are following the mouth or properly in a crest release or they aren’t. There isn’t a whole lot of room for interpretation. The Pony Club D and C manuals give good examples and explanations of a correct two-point and how to do different releases while maintaining it.

Here’s the Pony Club illustration showing two-point on the flat: http://americashorsedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/two-pointweb.jpg

goodlife: I love it! :smiley: Gorgeous horse, by the way.

Kat.: Ha, him and Maria Schaub are probably my equitation role models…

spina: You just can’t go wrong with George Morris! :lol: And the horse channel article was pretty helpful, too.

Okay, okay, serious time:

This picture is a pretty good example of a classically correct position. In my opinion, of course.

Definitely! I’m jealous of that eq. :wink:

When you can stay there securely without your butt flappin’ the saddle! :lol:

[QUOTE=goodlife;7175193]
Okay, okay, serious time:

This picture is a pretty good example of a classically correct position. In my opinion, of course.[/QUOTE]

Oh, thank God you were joking with the first photo. I was thinking…uuuhhhh…! This pic is perfect!

At the risk of turning this into a “rate my eq!” thread, here is one of mine that I think is ok in terms of 2-point and balance.

Basically using your own core strength and base of support to act as a foundation for your own balance, rather than relying on the horse’s neck to keep you up (as some people do with the crest release). I like a short stirrup, partially closed hip angle (closed further by the horse jumping up to you), and a soft, upper arm with an unlocked elbow.

The exact picture will vary depending on rider conformation and stirrup length.

My two point (and the dreaded crest release) :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101694103209015&set=a.142531842458574.23357.100001052770584&type=3&theater

My position certainly is NOT always great, and my boy can jump me out of the tack sometimes but I’ve always really liked my position in this picture. I wish my hands were a little lower on the neck to give my horse a bit more room to reach but other than that I like it.
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL701/13282219/23650875/399098980.jpg

[QUOTE=goodlife;7175152]
I’d say this is about as correct as it gets. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Falling on your horses neck?

Or are you being sarcastic and I missed it?

An eventer stepping over, but I’ve always agreed that the correct position is the one where you stay centered, don’t catch your horse in the mouth, and don’t fall on them in landing. If the center is a little farther back then so be it.

An example of the same rider on two very different horses over basically the same sized jump: Big scopey jumper that prefers the long spot and jumps a little more flat vs A horse a hand smaller, much rounder jump that likes the tight spot

[QUOTE=tinah;7175894]
Seriously? Falling on your horses neck?

Or are you being sarcastic and I missed it?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Watch George Morris ride on the flat as he approaches a fence….that is a correct two point seat. I learned that your two point seat is the same position you have during the upward phase of the posting a working trot.

[QUOTE=GoneAway;7175910]
Yes.[/QUOTE]

Oh thank god. I haven’t had my coffee, obviously.