Unlimited access >

The cost of living, Davis bell boots, and Smartpak (a silly thread)

I went to Tractor Supply today and bought two things:

1. A bag of Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach dog food (the medium bag, not the big one)
  2. A bottle of Tri-Tec fly spray

$94.99 was the total. I handed her a $100 bill and got a $5 bill and a penny back.

The freakin’ fly spray was almost $34. Insanity. I’d change to a cheaper brand but this works and it’s one that he’s not sensitive to.

11 Likes

I just did a quick Google search and several places have the Davis Bell Boots for 19.99 including Schneider’s and Big Dee Tack.

1 Like

Coming here to say the same thing! I go thru the Davis boots like crazy too, and I buy thru Schneiders. I like the hot neon colors, easier to find if lost.

3 Likes

I’ll probably buy elsewhere. I appreciate the tip. Just noting the big price jump on SP which is easy to track because of the way they archive past orders. I also noticed SP was slightly more expensive before but was willing to pay a buck or two more for the item due to the free barn saver shipping and the easy if just randomly tossing in items knowing they’d come quickly. Now that there’s a sly fee added into every order and more other stores offer free shipping, there’s no much reason to go with SP.

2 Likes

There has been big price jumps on a bunch of stuff. Flax seed, Timothy pellets are up 4.00, fly spray, and and basic stuff.

Flax seed was 45.00 for 50 lbs when I brought my horses home, last bag cost 85.00. Timothy pellets are up 4.00 a bag, fly spray was 19.99 a bottle for endure now it’s close to 30.00.

Shavings has gone up 30% as well.

2 Likes

I’ve fixed Davis bell boots so they last months longer after the Velcro was ripped off with this hack: Crafty: Getting more life out of wrecked bell boots

4 Likes

I was doing a food trial on my sensitive stomach boy and that Purina food for the big bag had a 10$ price jump at PetSmart from January to March. Ridiculous! Needless to say I don’t feed that anymore as didn’t make a difference for him.

Yes! Prices are going up. Butter has over doubled in the last 2 years. Flour has almost doubled since 2020, vehicle parts have tripled in a couple of specific instances.
I keep most of my horse related receipts, there seems to be a big jump between 2021 and 2022 and then again between 2022 and 2023.

Beet Pulp:
2014 $11.97
2016 13.29
2018 14.10
2019 14.48
2020 16.39
2021 15.27
2022 22.80

Horse ration
2016 14.98
2018 16.57
2021 17.25
2022 21.18
2022 22.25
2022 23.25
2023 27.15

Nuggets (which I use as treats)
2014 15.05
2018. 19.76
2023 36.55

4 Likes

I was feeding a cheaper brand (4Health) for several years, and he was doing well (I thought) on their sensitive skin formula. But June 2022 he wound up with a $7k emergency vet bill due to fluid in his chest cavity. The causes were basically inconclusive, and they kept saying cancer. I did a ton of research and since he had basically stopped eating anyway, I tried various foods. We even did Ollie (I was basically desperate to get him to eat anything). I had bought a small bag of Orijen Amazing Grains Six Fish recipe at some point and one day I tried that again and he gobbled it up. Fed him that for quite some time, but talk about pricey! So I tried the Pro Plan and he likes it a lot and seems to be doing well. And we’ve been over a year with no more fluid in the chest…happy, healthy dog. I have no idea if the food was the culprit, but I read enough to make me think it played a major role.

I’m blessed with special needs animals. The horse is just as bad. Feed him the wrong thing and it’s the end of the world.

1 Like

Yikes! The Davis ones are the ones my farrier recommends.

I just checked my SP order history. Earlier THIS YEAR, I only paid $20.85 a pair for them. There might have been some kind of 10% sale but even assuming that, it’s an enormous price jump. And I need to switch mine out to the last pair I have in stock after the farrier comes this week, as the velcro on the ugly teal pair is dying. Not looking forward to restock expense!

Last week, I ducked in to the local feed store to grab more fly spray, which we’ve been going through at a remarkable rate this year. They had Bronco for $6! I bought two bottles because while it’s not the best, none of them seem to work for more than 3 minutes anyway, and if that was a pricing mistake, I was getting some while the getting was good. I haven’t seen fly spray under $12 in years.

2 Likes

I used to be a Davis buyer but have switched to Centaur. They have limited colors on Amazon $14.95. Also Shires brand even cheaper. Haven’t tried shires, but my Centaurs hold up pretty well - maybe 5 months. Its always the velcro that seems to bite the dust for me…

1 Like

I’m currently using the neoprene Shires bell boots and some ribbed, Velcro rubber bell boots on top. Yes, double boots, it might be overkill but I prefer her shoes on.

That is another one!!

I buy Gordons Horse and Pony Spray ( oil based) . It used to be $39.99 for a gallon. 2 years later I just paid $ 54.99…

2 Likes

The Italian pull on bell boots have gone up almost $20. When I went to the non Italian double thick bottom ones, I went from paying $9.99 to now paying around $25.

Gloves have also gone up, I used to pay $19.99 for a decent pair of Heritage gloves and now I’m paying $30 plus dollars.

The price of fly spray has become crazy.

1 Like

I’ll be interested to monitor these changes over the next little while. My two local supply stores (a smaller regional chain and a TSC) were $22 and $24 respectively today. $36 seems absurd - I wouldn’t put it past SmartPak to just be gouging the crud out of people simply because they can.

2 Likes

This is GENIUS. So much time I’ve wasted sewing the damn velcro back on because the stitching is the only part that seems to wear out!

1 Like

Or, Smartpak recently got a new supply of them in at a higher price so they had to increase what they charged and the other places have not encountered that yet.

3 Likes

… which is why I said I’ll be interested to see how prices fluctuate over the next several months.

2 Likes

I have been putting off buying a new pair of crochet back gloves because I am morally and ethically opposed to paying $30 when they were like $19 two years ago LOL.

Also the cost of Ultrashield, good god.

4 Likes

I had a stash of fly spray and grooming products from gift baskets from silent auctions - they ran out and I am in sticker shock. And what happened to thrush buster?

1 Like