Unlimited access >

The Day After: What's your greatest fear?

I’m afraid because one of our moderators, Lily who checks the Event forum, has not checked in yet. I know she works in the financial district, but not where. I also know that she has not been around the forum much lately, and am really hoping that all that is going on is that she has not though about checking in here.

Please say a prayer for her.

lucassb - I confess I was hoping that they weren’t US missiles… if for no other reason than they were such small little explosions.

But I do believe that proves your point

Yes, as soon as it was announced that Kabul had not been attacked by the United States, we quit bothering to cover that story.

I believe in diplomacy, and also think that there is a point where diplomacy falls short. People who send terrorists to accomplish their aims aren’t going to be effectively addressed by sitting down at a conference table.

I am glad to see that there is at least an investigation underway. When it is concluded, I hope and expect to see very significant action taken. Not only to punish those who have taken innocent lives, but also as an example to others who might consider similar actions in the future.

That this is just the tip of the iceberg.

msj

I’m afraid to go to sleep without the lights on.

I’m afraid that somewhere in the world, someone is waiting for the news to calm down enough to perform their next attack… since they waited until the news crews were there to crash the second plane into the WTC.

I’m afraid that we’ll go to war, and I’ll lose my best friend… whose shipmate lost his mother in the WTC yesterday.

I’m afraid that the world will never be the same.

I’m afraid that I’ll never be able to feel completely safe again, that I won’t be able to stop checking the skies “just in case.” For some reason, the image of a clip from the “Pearl Harbor” preview keeps going thru my mind… where people are just looking up at the planes in the sky while innocently going on with their lives.

I’m afraid that more planes really were going to be hijacked, but plans were aborted and these jerks are still around, waiting for their time.

I’m afraid I’ll never be able to sleep in the dark again.

Beezer, Heidi and everyone is correct. More than anything, I think a lot of these families need to let us (and themselves) know that their loved ones did not die in vain. That they will be remembered.

I cannot honestly remember any other airplane disaster where family members wanted to talk about their last conversations with their loved ones in such an open manner. It has amazed me how composed the vicitm’s families are. I think this is because they know that every little shred of conversation could be evidence that helps bring the perpetrators to justice. That must be the greatest comfort that they can imagine.

I am afraid that after this is all settled, if it ever can be, we will go back to our general complacency, stick our heads in the sand, and say, “No one can harm us, we are the most powerful country in the world.”

We were brought to our knees yesterday. We will rise up and react, but at what expense?

Are we really willing to give up some of our “personal freedoms” for the sake of national security? I am afraid many are not.

The FAA Investigative committee has been trying to get our airline industry and it’s facilities to heighten security for years. After Lockerbie, the comment was made that the overall cost of the loss of that flight was (vague recollection here of exact figure, bear with me) $3 billion(?). To improve the standard of security in ALL airports in this country, I believe, was $10 billion(?).

When we are driven by bottom line expense and profit, we will never do whatever it takes to provide a safe world.

That is what frightens me most.

“The older I get, the better I used to be.”

Thought it was worth separating this out…

I believe in diplomacy, and also think that there is a point where diplomacy falls short. People who send terrorists to accomplish their aims aren’t going to be effectively addressed by sitting down at a conference table.

That someday terrorists of such a mindset will attain weapons of mass destruction and use them.

Thank you, Heidi. I needed that.

Bulletin Board Goddess

What DMK said… and lucassb too.

Greatest fears: That the U.S. will do nothing in response, even though we are talking big talk right now. That a week, a month from now, we will all be complacent again. That the perpetrators will be allowed to get away with it. That this is only the beginning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:
lucassb - I confess I was hoping that they weren’t US missiles… if for no other reason than they were such small little explosions.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me, too!! I thought, surely not.

I was talking with someone today who said we should give the Taliban 24 hours to hand Bin Laden over. If they comply, great. If not, well, buh-bye.

And Fiero, we have used the Bomb. It worked pretty well. And, I believe we gave the Japanese 24 hours to consider surrender beforehand. They chose not to. They did afterward – quickly.

i haven’t said much at all on these boards in months, and usually only about situations that i know personally. well, here we go again.

• i’m afraid that the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that’s been there since early tuesday morning is right, and this is going to get MUCH bigger. let’s hope and pray that the NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) weapons stay in storage… albeit less than an hour from my backyard.

• to echo someone else, i’m afraid that when it gets bigger, i’ll live some of what my parents went through… losing one or more of my best friends to the casualties of war (i’m an Army brat, and currently have at least 6 close friends on active duty across the services).

• i’m afraid that, the more re-runs we see of the plane crashing into the second tower, the less it will impact people. in this case, desensitization is far from a good thing.

• i guess most of all, though, i’m afraid that America as a whole will either fail to realize just how huge this is/was… in all respects. literally, and as many have said, the world will never be the same.

a few thoughts:

"thank God for your safety, and pray for the families who weren’t so lucky in the face of unspeakable horror.

Almighty God,
in whose hands lies the destiny of men and nations,
Let not the hopes of men perish,
nor the sacrifices of men be in vain.

• Amen. (author unknown)

I honestly woke up this morning thinking it was all a dream.

What is scary is what was said on the news last night/this morning. They were discussing the options for retaliation and they were saying it is highly likely they will do something that has never been done before. And you know what that means? A nuclear bomb. And then all hell breaks loose…

I am scheduled to fly home from college in October for a few days on my fall break. It’s already frightening me because I don’t trust the security systems in airports.

And do you know what really gets to me? Those heartless Palestinians who are PARTYING in the street, passing out candy, firing in the air with kids on their shoulders dancing around. NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE, should EVER celebrate an act of violence upon innocent people. What a bunch of heartless cowards.

* Fiero *

I like to think that we’ll not, within three days, have mobilized all of the forces and begun a game of “I’m gonna get you sucka,” heigi-ugh. At lunch yesterday I had to go to the bank. At a 4-way stop near my house, I saw a man in a black car. I was suspicious of him, for no reason. At the bank, I looked around behind me before I went in. It’s hard to regain my sense of self-confidence and personal security. Those both crumbled with the twin towers.

But, as an American, I firmly believe our country will react appropriately and I would like to go on record as saying I doubt it will have anything to do with military attacks.

Robby

p.s. I don’t think Canada is at fault, Jair. It’s easier for them to get into the U.S. at borders because border patrol coming into this country is so lax.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moose:
That someday terrorists of such a mindset will attain weapons of mass destruction and use them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That’s what the planes were.

That this will turn into an Isreal/ Palestinian tit for tat thing on a wider scale .That now our lives are going to be scary forever .
I’m afraid that if our govt. responds and say strikes at where the persons responsible are then the country we strike sends in something worse . We here on LI are making comments under our breath about MILLSTONE (nuclear power plant ) in CT across the sound bay whatever.Do I need to say anything further?
In otherwords It can get worse and I’m afraid of worse.
I’m also afraid for my arab american friends who may be the target of understandable animosity .

I’m afraid that the defense industry and its friends in the white house and congress will be crass enough to use this tragedy to justify sucking billions out of the US budget to build fairy-tale space weapons. I’m also afraid that people will happily go along with it. I fear for anyone who is of middle eastern descent, as I heard from a friend at home today that Philly’s Arab-American cab drivers were being violently harassed by patriotic morons.

Personally, I’d like to see armed Mounties-- or armed Sky Marshalls-- at all of our international airports. I travel a lot, and the lack of security at our international airports can be appalling. How sadly ironic that I’ve made jokes about my husband carrying on duct tape, rope and a large knife on his overseas jungle trips. The comments from the “security” people? “Oh, he doesn’t look like a terrorist.” That attitude has got to stop.

But what’s my worst fear? I’m afraid it’s already started, at least in my community: the stereotyping of all muslims, all people of middle eastern heritage, as being hateful of Americans and wanting to kill us all.

“Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America”