Unlimited access >

The Deputy

Rescued in recent weeks by his last trainer, Team Valor, and Gary Barber out of a Texas Kill Pen. He was sold cheaply through an auction in Iowa and was found in Texas underweight but in otherwise good health. He was last known to be standing at stud in Iowa. Shameful but glad someone found him and alerted them to this. Lucky guy

2 Likes

I saw this earlier today, and I thought that one great thing about the net, and social media, is that we rescue more animals in need now than ever. And, that’s a good thing!

4 Likes

A lady named Maggi Moss alerted them on the 15th. He was paid for immediately.

4 Likes

This is just disgusting considering how much money this stallion made for those who owned and trained and stood him at stud. Unfortunately, it all relates to human greed and lack of compassion and responsibility. I get emails from the Humane Society every other week asking for donations to rescue horses from kill sales. They even rescue ones that will be euthanized to stop their suffering and keep them off that miserable ride to slaughter. SO DAMNED MANY WERE SUCCESSFUL RACEHORSES, BROODMARES, SHOW HORSES, CAMP OR PLEASURE HORSES, etc. that someone has decided to dump. I try to donate when I can and always get a follow up showing the horses that were bought and then see each one evaluated and what is happening with them. Many will be up for adoption. What does this say about people? That’s why I prefer animals. People in general disgust and disappoint me.

Except the Deputy’s original owners DIDN’T dump him. He was standing at stud in Iowa, but as he aged he was less popular. His last reported JC foals were in 2019.

I’m not sure what happened exactly. I heard a rumor (key word: rumor) that he was sold/given to a barrel racer who intended to use him on QH mares. Maybe he was too much for her to handle (??), but instead of contacting his previous connections he was dumped at auction.

Unfortunately this happens too frequently; TBs end up at slaughter auctions NOT dumped by their racing connections, but by a third party. Racing connections believe they are doing right by the horse: retiring it to a loving home. Sadly, the “loving home” (or 2nd or 3rd home later) turns out to have overstated their abilities, and when overhorsed, they get embarrassed or too ashamed to admit their lack of skills, blame it on the horse and dump it in obscurity.

Most racing people I know would take any of their horses back. They love those horses like family members…and while trying to run a business it also makes sense to find the horse a good home in a second career (if able) vs pasture ornament the rest of its life.

7 Likes

Wow–my horse’s sire! I’m so glad he ended up in a good situation.

1 Like