Unlimited access >

The elusive husband horse

This is an interesting perspective in how the various discipline’s tack can lend itself to others. Motivates me to go dig out a western saddle from the barn and see what happens.

Other than some vacation-trail-string riding I haven’t sat in a western saddle for 25 years. Huh.

Has a rank beginner ever ridden your horse?
I have found that lots of horses who might be willing to spook and spin for a less beginner human some how know that their job is to keep that human on top when a true beginner gets on.

4 Likes

… but why do you want the show sheen and not the lazer sheen?

I think a big reason why men choose western over english is the riding outfit, as well. Even though us ladies think it looks wonderful :drooling_face:, most guys don’t aspire to traipse around in glorified leggings. It just doesn’t have a “manly” vibe to it.

2 Likes

Dead broke neck reining eventer. It sounds ridiculous to even say out loud.

An instructor I rode with several years ago had a lovely gelding that she used in her lesson program. She had evented with him previously and now some of her eventing students used him for lessons and leased for a few shows. Imagine my surprise when (in an effort to break a bad habit I had from a previous trainer) she instructed me during a dressage lesson to ‘ride western’ (she knew I had grown up riding western and was still an avid trail rider on my own QH) in an effort to get me to relax. When I started to use both reins to turn she called out “he neck reins, drop that other hand!”

I had a lovely lesson on him. We neck reined and had some fun the first part of the lesson and then switched right back over to contact. They’re smarter than we give them credit for sometimes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most horses don’t care what tack they are wearing (as long as it fits well enough that it isn’t causing them pain). I have thrown many an English saddle onto a friend’s Western trail horse because it’s more comfortable to me. There shouldn’t be an issue with putting a Western saddle on an eventer for your husband to hack around as long as the horse is otherwise suitable. IMO it is also not difficult to teach a horse to neck rein. I ride only English, but will often relax and neck rein on trail rides or when cooling out etc. If they don’t already know it, they usually pick it up quickly.

If you’re just looking to do low level Starter/BN/N stuff, I can think of tons of horses that would easily go back and forth between that and a trail ride in Western tack. That type is definitely out there. You may find it giving lessons or being leased to a teen.

3 Likes

I “borrowed” the Little S hackamore I use for trail riding from the Western world, albeit via Denny Emerson, who uses them when trail riding/doing endurance on his Morgans. It’s a nice design, not too severe, and I am seeing more of them around. It can be used for direct reining, but it’s not as “precise” as a bit. My mare sort of neck reins in it. I’ve discovered that she does really well with neck reining when I use a rope halter with the leadrope tied back in so it’s like “reins.” This is sort of like a bosal.

1 Like

I bought an aged gaited gelding who had flunked out of a therapeutic riding program after a couple years for DH. Certainly not an athletic prospect for me, but DH can get on after months off and walk down the road with me and the saint of a horse doesn’t bat an eye.

If you do actually want your husband to go out on trails with you, get the bombproof horse. Doesn’t really matter what it is or what tack it goes in (when you’re walking down the trail you don’t really notice the difference between neck reining and direct as I even ride my OTTB dressage horse with one hand completely on the buckle). I know if my husband had one that knocked his confidence he’d take a looonnng time before he rode again.

That being said, there are more saint horses out there that could also cart you around lower level eventing, just may have to pay more and search longer.

3 Likes

My DH took up riding at age 43 when he met me. I knew his first horse long before I knew him.

Were I you, I might borrow or buy a western saddle for your current horse and put your DH on him in an arena with some standards or such around the space… so he can get a feel for direct reining and stopping and going. Riding figure 8s is hard work and lots of fun to learn without being scary. For my DH it was best for me to get him a set of laced reins so he could easily see/feel if his reins were even. He could NOT feel that they weren’t even, yours won’t either. We aren’t born knowing this stuff, even though you don’t remember NOT knowing it yourself. Honestly- I want all new riders riding ‘two handed’ so they can’t grab the horn and expect it to help. If he is neck reining, that other hand is going to hold the horn and pull him off balance.

Then go buy the 2nd horse you want.

For cheap, lightweight, comfy westerns, look at Fabtron.

1 Like

I’m the same, thinking about trying to ride my big mare western but don’t know much. What I have found, figuring your horse has a bigger mouth, is at least 98% of western bits only come in 5" width–wait, actually some were 5.25". One.something % are 6" or bigger. Trying to find a 5.5" that I like is proving quite a challenge (.001%?). So that may answer “teach husband to ride 2 handed or get a western bridle to neck rein” question.

+1

1 Like

Try searching for draft horse bits. The selection is definitely smaller as you go up in size, but that may help. There are some odd draft horse stores out there that don’t show up in an online search unless you have 'draft; in the search.

1 Like

What’s wrong with using your current bit? I always teach neck reining in a snaffle only switch up to shanks when I’m looking for refinement.

Both of my current horses trail ride (neck reined ridden on the buckle) in the same eggbut curved mouth lozenge we take dressage lessons.

3 Likes

If it’s a security thing saddle wise and he’s not that keen on competing, have you considered an Australian stock saddle?
Closer to an English saddle (although there’s two kinds and what we call in Aus, a half-breed, is much more similar to a western) with I think more security than a western (I’m Australian though and have ridden in a lot more stock saddles than western ones so your miles may vary as to the security thing), a lot of the American made Aussie stocks have horns in addition to the knee pads but are shaped similar to a dressage saddle. They usually have a heap of D rings for additional gear as well which might be handy for the camping/trail-riding. I know one of the brands out here build a stock saddle on a dressage tree that looks really nice. They can also be rigged with more English style girths in addition to bates or western style girthing if that makes life easier but need an over-girth if you’ve only got one buckle.

1 Like

I have, there are more 6"+ bits available than the 5.5" that I need. I really like S-ish shaped shanks, or similar to TWH shanks–nothing like that available. I found a Tom Thumb and a grazing bit in 5.5".

My mare already neck reins, or seems to. It’s a little hard to stop with the draped reins on a snaffle riding one handed–how do you do it? Though I did buy a second hand 5.5" bit and she didn’t seem to like it, but it’s a broken mouth with a bar connecting the shanks. I’d like to get a solid mouth with a curved mouthpiece with shanks as I said above.

1 Like

Our solution is using my horse as a pack animal and we both camp and hike.

I get it! That in between size is remarkably hard to find!

Mustangs make the BEST trail horses. If they get worried about something, you should be worried too! I second their sensible nature. They calm other horses, too.

The pack horse I referred to is my Mustang mare. She can do anything.

1 Like

Seat first then rein. The horses can get pre signal just from the reins moving. It’s not as quick or precise as a curb with swept back shanks

Horse ignores seat, then gets rein movement, horse ignores rein movement, horse gets bit pressure. Most horses with a dressage background pick it up quick.

1 Like

I so agree for the exact same reasons. My soon-to-be DIL is coming out today to go trail riding. I bought her a western saddle for her bridle shower gift. You would have thought I was the ultimate Santa Claus LOL. Anyway she’s coming out with my son. She’s going to try her new saddle on the mustang. She’s ridden him once before and has ridden a total of 4-5 times. I know I will not have to worry about the pair at all. My son has to ride my 4 year old LOL but he has a seat of velcro like no one I’ve every known (not that he’s going to really need it but at least I don’t have to worry about his safety if a spook does happen). I’m going to ride my 7 year old who is 14.2 - his back is so short that only my saddles fit him and I’m far more petite than the other two (for reference my son is 6’4"). The 7 and 4 year olds are my dressage mounts; but, the mustang as stated is our trail horse extraordinaire.

I find mustangs come in two basic types (of course there will always be those exceptions) - (a) those who either will never be totally gentled or if so only and I mean only bond with one person or (b) the street-smart, street-wise steady eddie survivalists that know conserving energy for just those things that really count is the key- aka best trail horse ever.

4 Likes

Agree. Who cares if horse direct reins or neck reins. The unicorn husband horse doesn’t need reins. It goes out with reins flapping in the breeze. Hacks out on the buckle!

3 Likes

Well folks the elusive husband horse is where you least expect them…yesterday I thought my son (who is a really good rider) and future DIL were coming out to go trail riding. She has ridden only a handful of times. I was going to put her on our mustang; but, she decided to go to my daughter’s to ride. My son still showed up and I had planned to put him on my 4 year old morgan because he’s the tallest in my barn. My son is 6’4". Well that didn’t work out too well in that the Morgan could not handle my son’s weight (190 lbs). Up steps the mustang who is clearly loaded with draft blood. My son didn’t need the mustang due to lack of skill but due to size and they had a great time. Well my SO who rides but is the quintessential pleasure rider very accustomed to and fond of the steady eddie mustang wanted to trail ride too…well I looked at my third level 14.2 hand welsh cob who’s only been ridden by my daughter, myself and one of my instructor’s (one-time) to see if he’d transform into the elusive husband horse. Well damn if he isn’t the perfect guy for the job. I rode my 4 year old morgan and the three of us set off for a very relaxing trail ride. In two weeks my ‘new elusive husband horse’ will be competing at the next recognized dressage show (second & third level)…judging a book by its cover can cause lots of missed opportunities - just sayin’

4 Likes